Drop Decks For Quick Play

34 replies to this topic

#21 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:14 AM

View PostBlaizerP, on 10 December 2020 - 11:14 PM, said:

People would get farmed the same the way they do in fp - by completely failing to bring a mech appropriate to the map. You'd would also see long range favored on most maps, severely limiting mid and short range play options.

Don't forget camo
every enemy mech white on polar or alpine... where dat shot come from?
Pretty organized

#22 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:21 AM

Make it a match making equaliser
For every Tier you are lower than the top player tier in that match you get a respawn
In a typical game T1-T3

T1 gets no spawn, T2 gets one respawn, T3 gets 2 respawns
How you like that pre-mads, put that in your pipe and smoke it!

This way when a T1 groups with a bunch of T3's
The Tier 3's are supposed to carry the T1, logic!
Yes?

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 12 December 2020 - 02:22 AM.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:27 AM

at this point im not sure whether were talking about respawn or post vote mech selection. ive been assuming the latter.

#24 Mal Bolge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 03:49 AM

View PostBlaizerP, on 11 December 2020 - 05:41 PM, said:

I just don't think you're achieving "match diversity" when you know polar and caustic will be all LRMs, or when grim/rubellite/tourm/alpine will be blue lasers and PPCs, or when solaris/classic frozen will be all brawlers.

Why would you assume that everyone wants to play a LRMer on long range maps and brawler on short range map?

This is a good idea and would IMO make the game more fun. Because it's no fun when you are stuck the whole match on i.e. Solaris City with a LRM boat, or an SRM bomber/MPL wubber on Alpine. You just know that you won't be able to contribute as much as you could for the team. And sitting around waiting in Alpine the whole match out of range before you get fed up and yolo is no fun either, and certainly not good for the team.

Sometimes I would like to bring a brawler to a long range map, sometimes I wouldn't. Sometimes I would bring a LRMr/ATMer on a brawling map, sometimes I wouldn't. It all depends on the map and the mech, and what mood I'm in. The point is I would have a choice in the matter.

What I know for sure is that I would have way more fun if I wasn't stuck with a bad build on the wrong map.

Edited by Mal Nilsum, 12 December 2020 - 03:49 AM.

#25 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

You are a living contradiction. People would choose to play long on long maps and short on short maps for the exact reason you state - it is optimal to do so.

#26 Mal Bolge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:28 PM

View PostBlaizerP, on 12 December 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

You are a living contradiction. People would choose to play long on long maps and short on short maps for the exact reason you state - it is optimal to do so.

Guess you failed at psychology then...

View PostMal Nilsum, on 12 December 2020 - 03:49 AM, said:

Sometimes I would like to bring a brawler to a long range map, sometimes I wouldn't. Sometimes I would bring a LRMr/ATMer on a brawling map, sometimes I wouldn't. It all depends on the map and the mech, and what mood I'm in. The point is I would have a choice in the matter.

Edited by Mal Nilsum, 12 December 2020 - 06:57 PM.

#27 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:38 PM

Yes, you could choose to fail hard if you wanted to.

#28 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 12 December 2020 - 09:20 PM

Yep, would be great to have a handful of mechs to choose from. Yeah it’s sort of min maxing but it also means you are going to have more fun because the mech you have won’t be trash on the map you get.

#29 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

I dunno?
With the current match quality
It can be fun making trash work...Part time anyway

Respawns might be a bit much imbalance
It will greatly empowers knowledgeable pilots, with ignorant/new pilots only getting a small boost if any

imo it will just make ignorant/new pilots more farmable
Merge Queue will become the new seal hunting grounds...imo
more than it is now

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 13 December 2020 - 10:05 AM.

#30 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

Well if you wanna make trash work that’s the beauty of it.... you can make that choice for yourself. The most successful games let you choose your load out after seeing where you are at.

#31 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:51 AM

This thread has been moved to Feature Suggestions

#32 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:42 PM

I like the idea as well.

But only let customers choose one per map.. but having 4 or so choices per drop deck per maps would be an excellent update.

#33 Botaine

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUSA EVERYDAY

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:41 PM

adding drop decks to a match makes it sound similar to faction play. just add a quick play button to faction play.

#34 Daythenos

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:07 PM

Found this post, figured I try to revive it from the dead instead of creating another one.

Issue:
Building and then playing a mech that is ill suited for the environment being dropped into.
- Brawl on an open map
- Ranged on a brawl map

Concern:
Players decide to all run one weight class based on the map; think school of piranhas, murder of crows, or a biblioteca of Atlas. Or even worse, 12 LRM Supernovas on polar highlands.

Solution:
Substitutions are based on weight class. You could switch from your Wolfhound to a 3x AMS Kitfox to try and mitigate the polar highland LRM death; but not into a 4x AMS Corsair.

#35 Earthbound Kuregi

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:34 AM

Hmm drop decks are a great idea but it will have to be another game-mode for people to use drop decks , it would be interesting to see , quick players want to quickly play so it will have to be a different gamemode
Call it onslaught or something

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users