Hmgs

9 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:56 PM

I have never really tried these and I am really confused as what the point it. they seem no better at shredding internals than LMGs.

Trtying them on a Huugin, 4 of them (1-1/2 tons ammo + nodes). and I feel like i'm burning through ammo WAY faster than LMGs and not really doing anything else of value with them over the LMGs.

What I am missing here.

Yes I am in optimal range.

Open components are not being destroyed any quicker and possibly even slower than 4 LMGs

#2 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:03 PM

Huggin has the one of the best missile range quirks in the game. You should be focusing on srm/mrms builds with the mech. Max that range and cool down nodes. If You want a mech to go rambo with you need four minimal mg points and a rof rate of fire quirk which pgi loves to give to mechs of 15-20%

i've used ember and I find hmgs do dmg significantly faster than lmgs. The part part is being in range and firing at open mechs. I tend to burn half my ammo on still armored mechs.

#3 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:05 PM

Ammo for MGs should work out to roughly the same damage per ton, but you get a lot less per ton for HMG. Hence it runs out faster.

At 100m, 4HMG is doing 6dps - that drops off to 0 at 200m, that is still 50m short of LMGs optimal range where they are doing 2.4dps. The cross over point where LMG do more damage is about 160m if my maths is good. If you're not in the face brawling constantly, you're going to struggle to get more DPS out of HMG.

If you're facetanking with a Raven... you may not be doing Raven right.

Edited by crazytimes, 15 December 2020 - 08:06 PM.

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:41 PM

LMG give you more opportunity to shoot dude to better range so may do the same damage over the course of a game as heavy MGs

#5 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:50 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 15 December 2020 - 05:56 PM, said:

I have never really tried these and I am really confused as what the point it. they seem no better at shredding internals than LMGs.

Trtying them on a Huugin, 4 of them (1-1/2 tons ammo + nodes). and I feel like i'm burning through ammo WAY faster than LMGs and not really doing anything else of value with them over the LMGs.

What I am missing here.

Yes I am in optimal range.

Open components are not being destroyed any quicker and possibly even slower than 4 LMGs

I noticed this myself.. I dunno if its a ping issue my end or me but heavy machine guns seem way more inferior to light on internals.. At least in inner sphere mechs.. Their range is far shorter as well..

#6 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:43 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 15 December 2020 - 07:03 PM, said:

Huggin has the one of the best missile range quirks in the game. You should be focusing on srm/mrms builds with the mech. Max that range and cool down nodes. If You want a mech to go rambo with you need four minimal mg points and a rof rate of fire quirk which pgi loves to give to mechs of 15-20%

i've used ember and I find hmgs do dmg significantly faster than lmgs. The part part is being in range and firing at open mechs. I tend to burn half my ammo on still armored mechs.

it is...what else would I do with it. but it has 4 MG slots so why not use them.

View Postcrazytimes, on 15 December 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

Ammo for MGs should work out to roughly the same damage per ton, but you get a lot less per ton for HMG. Hence it runs out faster.

At 100m, 4HMG is doing 6dps - that drops off to 0 at 200m, that is still 50m short of LMGs optimal range where they are doing 2.4dps. The cross over point where LMG do more damage is about 160m if my maths is good. If you're not in the face brawling constantly, you're going to struggle to get more DPS out of HMG.

If you're facetanking with a Raven... you may not be doing Raven right.

It works fine getting in close when you need too. I'm not face tanking just cause. open stuff up, find other angles, and try to use the MGs.

View PostJediPanther, on 15 December 2020 - 07:03 PM, said:

well I run my ember with 2x AC2s so.....Its got big nipples. I am a sucker for weird, silly, junk builds some times.

#7 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 17 December 2020 - 12:27 AM

Vapor Eagle is pretty good with them being nicely packaged together in the "gun".

#8 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:10 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 15 December 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

Did you take spread into account? It's one of the biggest reason why I don't use HMG aside from ammo shortage is short range.

HMG's spread is at 1.0, to put that into perspective even LB20X is at 1 spread, LB10X is at 0.9 spread. The Light MG is at 0.5 Spread, MG spread is at 0.6. ( Source: https://mwomercs.com.../list/full.json )

Edited by The6thMessenger, 17 December 2020 - 02:14 AM.

#9 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,842 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:48 AM

HMG are for knife fighting builds that have the weapons to open components for the hmg to crit out which they do very well if you are in optimal range. All mg are made more for critting out open components than direct damage which is why I prefer lmg for the large optimal. This is why piranha are so damn good at backstabbing. The lasers open it up and the large rack of mg are a crit monster.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:34 PM

so far the best mech for hmgs is probibly an mrm oriented king crab build. works great in solaris. fire mrms until your heat bar saturates and by that point its just a few seconds of spewing hmg ammo to finish em. less great in other modes because its a brawler and you are in a king crab which is kind of hard to miss and its a magnet for lerms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users