Capping.

36 replies to this topic

#21 Trucker Wifey

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 02:26 PM

Light mech capping base. Light mech hollers, hey their chasing my ***, move in for the kills! Enemy team gets shot in the back chasing the light mech!

#22 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

View PostNo1Curr, on 16 December 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

This doesn't happen.

Happens all the time.

#23 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

View PostNo1Curr, on 16 December 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

This doesn't happen.

lol it happens A LOT. Capping splits teams all t he time. you only need 2 to do it. ALL THE TIME...

#24 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

View PostNo1Curr, on 16 December 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

I have never seen a light declare this.

I have only RARELY seen an enemy team be dumb enough to bite the bait.

Well, you're saying you haven't seen it, and I have no reason not to believe you. But you're also saying it doesn't happen, and yet you've got multiple people saying it does. Would you notice if it did happen? Do you keep track of your lights on your map and check to see what they are doing? They may not announce it.

Does it happen often? That's a different issue.

It'll certainly happen if you do it yourself, which I have often done, and my group has often done similar.

My group used to often run a fast medium pack that'd be something like: Hellspawn, Shadowcat, Arctic Wolf, Crab (sometimes slightly different.) When we'd get Assault, especially on big maps like Polar Highlands, we'd do a wide flank and advise our team not to move far from the base (sometimes they'd even listen.) Then we'd wait for the enemy team to get into contact with our team (usually very far from their base now), then all hop on their base.

Sometimes we'd just cap and win. Often their lights would make it back and stop us, then immediately die because we had 4 mediums and a lot of streaks. Then around the time their lights/fast mediums were dying, their heavies would start to show up and chase us off the point. But they'd generally be filtering into us a couple at a time, and meanwhile their team is getting nipped in the back by our team the whole way back.

In other words, we voluntarily fracture our team to put their team into a position where they choose to fracture, or get capped. Now, it doesn't always work out, because if we're too slow or our team moves up too much, our team can have taken too many losses before they fracture. If their team is well coordinated, they can certainly respond to the maneuver. But generally we have an advantage because we know we're doing it, and they don't.

Now, would we win more often if we just played a regular lance of mechs and stuck with our team? Perhaps. But once we're doing a team that is good at making alternative strats like this work, then it makes sense to do them. Its good because we created the conditions that favor it.

You're saying that doing certain things is bad, or that they don't happen, and are also admitting that you play in a style that makes them not worth doing. So of course they don't happen for you.

Edited by Heavy Money, 16 December 2020 - 02:55 PM.

#25 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 02:57 PM

View PostNo1Curr, on 16 December 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

I like how you follow up a rhetorical question with a "perhaps"

Glad you enjoyed it.

#26 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 03:05 PM

View PostNo1Curr, on 16 December 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

I like how you follow up a rhetorical question with a "perhaps"

you've played 200 rounds....so yea.

#27 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 03:31 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 16 December 2020 - 03:05 PM, said:

you've played 200 rounds....so yea.

He's an alt account he made for trolling the forums. Ask him to post physique of his real account.

#28 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,831 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 16 December 2020 - 06:18 PM

Boy howdy, you sure like that Caps Lock button don't ya No1Curr.

Decaf is your friend. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#29 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

View PostNo1Curr, on 16 December 2020 - 03:37 PM, said:

"I'm going to make a baseless assertion so I can plug my ears and ignore any and all things you say."

Good job, Brown Sea. Really living up to that reputation.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this community. Please continue to make new accounts.

Edited by crazytimes, 16 December 2020 - 06:46 PM.

#30 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:48 AM

Lol @brown sea. My dude, I hope you're not insinuating that OutrageHPG is somehow a greater fountain of knowledge. There's more freedom to type in all caps sure, but it's also filled to the brim with excriable memes and other nonsense. The browness is roughly equal for sure.

#31 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:44 AM

View PostNo1Curr, on 16 December 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

I have never seen a light declare this.

I have only RARELY seen an enemy team be dumb enough to bite the bait.

Are you kidding? I can't tell you how many times I've seen half the team split off to chase the squirrel . . .

#32 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 December 2020 - 11:13 AM

View PostLanzman, on 17 December 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

Are you kidding? I can't tell you how many times I've seen half the team split off to chase the squirrel . . .

It's a bad feeling when you have a 5 mechs on your tail and your team-mates are too scared to push 11 on 7.

It's a worse feeling when they're all dead and those same 5 are still on your tail.

And it's abysmal when one of your team-mates tells you to let them kill you because you have no chance and are wasting their time...

And for the cherry... you look up your "team-mates" Jarl and find he's in the 94th percentile...

#33 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 17 December 2020 - 11:45 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 16 December 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

lol it happens A LOT. Capping splits teams all t he time. you only need 2 to do it. ALL THE TIME...

Especially when said Light mech is a Spider. When that happens, people don't even bother to check the variant. They just assume the offending mech is a 5V kitted out for capping and immediately start chasing the squirrel.

#34 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:20 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 17 December 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

Especially when said Light mech is a Spider. When that happens, people don't even bother to check the variant. They just assume the offending mech is a 5V kitted out for capping and immediately start chasing the squirrel.

You give people too much credit. There are many reasons why people chase squirrels and in 99% of cases those people just aren't thinking at all and have zero idea of what's going on or why.

#35 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:04 AM

View PostKynesis, on 17 December 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

You give people too much credit. There are many reasons why people chase squirrels and in 99% of cases those people just aren't thinking at all and have zero idea of what's going on or why.

Unless the mech in question is a Spider. The 5V is pretty much known for having a capture accelerator quirk by this point, so when pugs see a Spider in the cap point, they automatically assume it's a 5V with a skill tree setup for capping and immediately chase the squirrel.

#36 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:39 PM

Lately, spotting a light in the back of our team kills us quicker than capping. It depends on the time of the day, but if you spot a light in the back and tell the team, 90% of the team tries to chase after it and you have to spend like 2 minutes trying to get them to come back to the front line.

I had half my team chase a Kitfox (slow, big) on Polar for half the game, fail to kill it and we get wiped out.

#37 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 10:25 AM

had a match today where capping was what was needed. playing locust PB, late game was taking down all the tired mechs on the red team. it was like 1 vs 5 or 6 to start, I get it down to 1v2. A mostly fresh rifleman makes the right move, goes to the cap and starts capping. He wins by capping because 1: I couldn't really take him in the long with all his armor still there and him being a player with a brain. I get caught up trying to take out the other mech on their team in the hopes I could do it before the cap win and then I can at least pause the cap.

Either way they were going to win. They both got smart and I was left trying to do my best. if they both got on cap is definitely over.

So yea, capping is legit and I'm glad modes like that exist.

Yes, they would have definitely won if it was skirmish but if it was skirmish had so much time to just run and poke under stealth to wear them down. With the cap being there I didn't.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users