2 replies to this topic

#1 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:16 PM

Would like to hear what standards you have in MWO

for me

To find the max-end alpha in a particular weigh class, its usually around the number equal to its tonnage (rockets, racs, mgs, flamers, etc don't apply)

Heat scale:
1.8 - 2.0, You are boating MGs or Gauss aren't you?
1.6 - 1.79, How many heat sinks you put in that thing?!
1.4 - 1.59, Cold build...hope it brings the dps
1.3 - 1.39, An ideal, well balanced build
1.2 - 1.29, Playing with fire, do you have the discipline for it?
1.19 or lower, Nearly unplayable. Something went wrong in the mechlab. Abort! Abort!
Some weapons can throw this off like racs

Recommended max % of armor one can strip from legs
Lights - 0% (or a few points) Leg armor might as well be torso armor
Medium 1-10% Really depends on the build. Keep armor high on the light wanna-bes
Heavy 10-20% You got some wiggle room but don't go overboard
Assualt 15-25% Would be a fool not to try and strip at least a little. Keep in mind ammo and watch out for leg humping lights

Edited by Gristle Missile, 16 December 2020 - 01:19 PM.

#2 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 04:23 PM

1.19 or lower, Nearly unplayable. Something went wrong in the mechlab. Abort! Abort!

Can also be thrown off by laser AMS, or by split loadouts. For example, I run a catapult C1 with lrm40 and some lasers. Most of the time, I'm only using 1 of those weapon groups. The lasers don't get used when indirect or ranged firing, and the LRMs don't get used when up close in their deadzone. They'll both get used at close-medium ranges, but that's what cool shots are for. If I ran enough heatsinks for a higher rating, it'd be wasted a lot of the time, and would mean big downgrades in firepower as I'd need to drop a lot to get enough slots.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 04:55 PM

View PostGristle Missile, on 16 December 2020 - 01:16 PM, said:

Would like to hear what standards you have in MWO

for me

To find the max-end alpha in a particular weigh class, its usually around the number equal to its tonnage (rockets, racs, mgs, flamers, etc don't apply)

Heat scale:
1.8 - 2.0, You are boating MGs or Gauss aren't you?
1.6 - 1.79, How many heat sinks you put in that thing?!
1.4 - 1.59, Cold build...hope it brings the dps
1.3 - 1.39, An ideal, well balanced build
1.2 - 1.29, Playing with fire, do you have the discipline for it?

Recommended max % of armor one can strip from legs
Lights - 0% (or a few points) Leg armor might as well be torso armor
Medium 1-10% Really depends on the build. Keep armor high on the light wanna-bes
Heavy 10-20% You got some wiggle room but don't go overboard
Assualt 15-25% Would be a fool not to try and strip at least a little. Keep in mind ammo and watch out for leg humping lights

my rule of thumb is that if your legs have more armor than a side torso, its probably fine to strip some armor (and usually in cases where you cant quite max out the tonnage and end up dropping to the next half ton). good players tend to know which mechs have weak legs, and if you are stripping armor from legs on a build with known weak legs, you are essentially committing suicide. in some cases its fine to strip armor from the arms or head (so long as its not one of those mechs thats easy to headshot, like the anni) or spread out the dropped points to the extremities. mechs with vestigial limbs usually see those stripped unless you are using them for heat sinks or as shield arms (the banshee for example has great shield arms).

heat scale targets usually depend on what weapons and how you intend to use them. if you have emergency cold weapons. like the ctf-3d(c) ive been running pairs a couple hppcs with a nice cold ac10 for when the heat bar gets saturated (also helps deal with face huggers) then less might be more. high alpha traders like the hellby can deal with fewer sinks because its typical usage will be to cycle between alpha and cooling off behind cover, and a couple cool shots can give you a couple extra alphas when the heat is on (you will want as many as you can cram in, and you can afford it because lasers are light, pun not intended). on something that needs to be able to sustain a barrage like a ppc warhawk, you are essentially boating heat sinks. most lights dont need more than the base 10 heat sinks, unless you want to cool off while sheathed at a useful rate.

i find the best way to measure thermal performance is by trial and error. they give you a number that barely represents the complexity of heat management. if you are overheating more than you can handle, you need to reduce firepower and increase sinks. its sort of like my rules for calibrating your ammo, if you run out a lot, you need more, if you never run out, you might have too much and it can be a liability and the tonnage might be put to better use, such as more cooling or a targeting computer.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 December 2020 - 05:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users