Which Heroes Suck? And Why?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Wubs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:34 AM

If we're having a which heroes are good thread, we might as well have one of these.

OK, I'll start.

The Spirit Bear is a waste now unless you want to take an assault and park it on the edge of a map and hold a button.

Hellfire Void is meh for a heavy.

The Blood Kit is the worst Arctic Wolf.

The Vapor Eagle Ritalin or whatever is completely unnecessary.

The Romeo 5k is unnecessary.

The Death Knell is meh.

The Gridiron and the Deathwish blow.

The Hellslinger has a better name than gameplay.

The Boar's Head and the Kraken both have their ballistic hardpoint slightly below the belt on their trousers.

Edited by Dr Wubs, 18 December 2020 - 04:36 AM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:06 AM

tdk isnt terrible, but its an arms free mech and if you aren't using it like that its going to be crap. i had problems with it at first because i play arms locked most of the time. there are better commandoes though.

the grey death is bad too. i just cant make it do anything useful.

#3 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:38 AM

I have over 500 matches in Deaths Knell, though I admit most of them were when I was beginning a long time ago. I still ride it from to time though. As mentioned its ability to use free arms is paramount, you can fire at impossible angles so that lets you weave very evasive trajectories which added to commando's unsurpassed resilience among light mechs means you are a tough little bast...rd to kill. ON the down side, you are basically looking at 3 build 4ML, 4ERML or 4MPL, the later needs serious sacrifices to make it fit but offers the best dps, but in all cases both the alpha strike and the DPS is lack-lustre at best.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:17 AM

Hangover. The Thanatos hero is a giant target which is either a bad HPPC or LPL build with a meme worthy rocket arm. One of the worst heavies let alone heroes. JJ and ECM do nothing to address the horror of those hit boxes.

Deathwish. The most limited Hunchback IIc of them all. It isn’t just bad, it’s pointless.

Sekhmet. For the same reason as the Deathwish, its pointless if you have the 2V.

Sabre. Can’t speak from experience about the incubus hero, but I have only ever seen 1 in game. Gotta be a reason.

#5 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:36 PM

Pretty Baby. Expensive *and* useless.

#6 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:37 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 December 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

I always called it the pukey baby

#7 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:54 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 December 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

I've seen it said that it can do nasty LRM builds?

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:36 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 18 December 2020 - 08:17 AM, said:

Sabre. Can’t speak from experience about the incubus hero, but I have only ever seen 1 in game. Gotta be a reason.

i got one of those, its actually up high in my spreadsheets. but thats because ive only played a few games with it. there is nothing special about it and there is no reason for it to be up there other than dumb luck. maybe i need to raise the filter threshold in my spreadsheets so it goes to the bottom because not enough data points. i got it set to 10 games, but ive been finding that to be insufficient, i really dont know how a mech performs till it has about 50 games on it. but its definately on the cool paint job list.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 December 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#9 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:50 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 18 December 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

I've seen it said that it can do nasty LRM builds?

No.
No. It has no hard points.
No.

Pretty Baddy has been top of the list for people to hold up on a stick and yell about to the dev team since they made it.
I bought it and ground it through mastery many moons ago during initial mech skill tree days, like 2014 I think. Regrats. Possibly the only one I ever had/have with this game.

You know that scene with the guy in Da Vinci Code, Silas? Yeah, that's what playing Pretty baby is like.

#10 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

So, Pretty baby. Because.

Otherwise, I found basically no reason to have bought the Wolverine hero after I got it. The Griffin Hero is sort of the same, feels redundant.
STRONGLY prefer my Pheonix Battlemaster to the hero, but the hero has it's place.... I guess. Nothing else comes to mind as particularily BAD, really. Quite a few redundant ones, and several newer ones I have no XP with so others will have to comment. It looks like most recently PGI's idea of a hero mech was "put hardpoints on it other variants don't have" like Ballistic Warhawk. I don;t know if that makes them good, or just different, because I haven't really bought any of them.

#11 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:58 PM

View PostZordicron, on 18 December 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

No.
No. It has no hard points.
No.

Pretty Baddy has been top of the list for people to hold up on a stick and yell about to the dev team since they made it.
I bought it and ground it through mastery many moons ago during initial mech skill tree days, like 2014 I think. Regrats. Possibly the only one I ever had/have with this game.

You know that scene with the guy in Da Vinci Code, Silas? Yeah, that's what playing Pretty baby is like.

Wait, i got it confused with the Mean Baby.

#12 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:58 PM

Crab hero is Garbage..
Hellspawn anything, yeah no...
Flame is not great.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:19 PM

i like the florentine, mostly because its the only crab that has non-laser hardpoints. makes a good dual rac5 boat, or any other 5 class. you get ammo constricted when you move into dual 10 class, and about the only one that works well is the lb10. you can also strip an arm and use an uac10 or gauss with some other weapon. i like the uac10 with a couple srm6es or gauss+erppc. or ac10+2mrm10s+2erml with an xl280. its a fun mech, probably not the best crab though given the ez mode nature of laser vomit.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 December 2020 - 05:23 PM.

#14 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:31 PM

I don't mind the HLF-VO

It runs okay with 2 x UAC10s and 4xERSL and a bit faster, or 2 x Gauss and 4xERML and a bit slower. The gauss version makes the list on Grimmechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users