10 replies to this topic

#1 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 05:22 PM

Hi.
I stopped playing a while back about when.... oooh, I think Supernova came out, some of the IIC mechs were pretty new I think.
Been playing, noticed there are several new chassis(to me) and some I rarely see on the field, others more.

Anyone chime in and let me know what they think about these? I may or may not pick them up, I am pretty happy with my medium stable but curiosity and all....

Uziel?
I always thought it looked cool, never really used it in the old MW4 games until the mercs version where the game scaling/pace made it useful for a while. Wondering how it does in MWO compared to other 50/55 tonners.

Black Lanner?
Just looking at this in mechlab tells me it has no free space. Does it have redeeming quality? I like the model they have in game for it.

Viper-
Went into testing grounds, feels like Cicada with jump jets. Pretty agile I thought though. Worth a look or a waste of space?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 05:37 PM

Black Lanner is fun, but difficult. Its very fast and reasonably tough for a medium, but its engine is huge and leaves you with little tonnage to work with. So you run a lot of small, short range weapons, kind of like a bigger piranha. It excels in organized harassment wolf packs, buts tough to fit into standard teams. You can run some longer range builds like ER mediums decently, but you're inferior to the stormcrow, vapor eagle or bushwhacker in ranged gunboat roles.

The Viper is similar and also very skewed. It has even less space to work with, and loses the Lanner's durability and ECM for big jumps and more base speed. Same issues as the Lanner of being very niche.

Shadow Cat is basically a midpoint between the two. Stormcrow is slower than the lanner, but still fast and better as a damage dealer.

Don't have much experience with the Uziel. I usually see them running 2x ER PPCs and pop tarting, or running Medium Pulses.

Edited by Heavy Money, 26 December 2020 - 05:38 PM.

#3 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:49 PM

I don't know how competitive they really are, but Uziels sure are fun. You'll often see them using some form of PPC, but I have one set up with LPLs, and another with MPLs. I don't get huge damage with either, but both are enjoyable to run.

Heavy Money was pretty much right on the money with the other descriptions, and the VEagle is definitely one of the best things since sliced bread, can't go wrong there.

#4 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:03 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 26 December 2020 - 05:59 PM, said:

if you are looking for a good medium, get a 1 or 2 vapor eagles.

Well this one I knew just from looking at it in mechlab, looks ultra versatile, good free space. That's why I didn't ask about it lol. But I thank you for the feedback on the mech anyway.

#5 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:42 PM

Uziel
meh. I play a 2 ER-PPC build and a gauss + er-med build for fun. But in the grand scheme of mechs: meh.

Black Lanner
I like two builds on this:
The backstabber: ECM and all the heavy smalls and micros and SRMs or MGs it can fit.
BKL-A with ER-PPC and 3 ER-Smalls. ECM + range and velocity bonuses + MASC to annoy the enemy to death.

Viper
Pretty fun if you use speed and JJs to avoid fire and fight as support. You can go leg hunting, but its dangerous because your own legs are easy targets. The hero is the only worthwhile variant IMO because it not only has the lasers, but it also gets the laser quirks.

#6 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:00 PM

Every one of them can be fun except the Uziel, that mech must run MPL or it's auto dogshit

#7 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 889 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 26 December 2020 - 11:56 PM

I've no experience with the Viper; don't see them often either.

I really like the Black Lanner. I usually say it has the size of a heavy, the armour of a light, and the range of a toothpick. Exaggerated, of course, but not by much Posted Image

HMGs, ER Micros, and SRMs in some combination.

Whichever variant of the Uziel that can carry 6 MPL is the only variant and build I run. It does well; though I feel other mechs can do the same thing but better (Jester, Vulcan, Wolfhound, for example). At least you won't get accused of playing a mech with borked hit boxes.

#8 Trucker Wifey

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:42 AM

The Black Lanner. It's rough. Got to keep moving... It's a great mech for getting around, though, not too many choices for it's loadout for a medium mech. Some lights can carry more firepower. 6 MG's, 2 SRM6, 2 ERSML, hit run, and find a new target. Hit boxes are pretty big too, not as bad as some though.

I like the Shadow Cat better, specifically the hero...

Edited by Swamp Ass, 27 December 2020 - 08:43 AM.

#9 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 December 2020 - 03:57 PM

Black Lanner is mostly garbage, Its a medium that cannot take damage, so it must move at all times and it cannot take much load so its just above lights.. If you are a good light pilot i'd suggest it, if you want to face time i'd avoid it.

Uziel is pretty much the Inner sphere equivalent to the Black lanner only it has a keg for a body.. Its slightly tougher but not much, again move all the time hit and run or die in a fire.

Never used a Viper i've heard poor things but i see it more regularly than the other two in matches..

#10 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback all. Got to see a couple Black Lanner in action tonight for the first time since I posted this so I paid close attention. Deffinatly looks to play like a light, scoots around and takes shots when it can, the ones I saw hung out by our team and chased lights off and supported the assaults in general with flanking fire from close cover.
I don't play lights much, but i usually play the slightly slower, more team support oriented niche mechs when I do, Kitfox, Adder, if I want to be a bit more zippy Arctic Cheetah. I was a holy terror with 12 jump Jet spider back before the JJ change years ago. Black Lanner would probably fit in ok for me. I will keep it in mind for later, I think I have bigger fish for the moment.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:45 AM

none of these stand out to me at all.

the viper is a knife fighter. carries a lot of small and micro lasers. think of it as a fat squirrel.

just do this:

View PostLockheed_, on 26 December 2020 - 05:59 PM, said:

if you are looking for a good medium, get a 1 or 2 vapor eagles.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 December 2020 - 10:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users