Heavy/assault Mech Suggestions

42 replies to this topic

#1 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

I'm interested in trying a new mech. I prefer heavyies and assaults. In lights and mediums i get squashed and dont really put out any real damage. I thought about a blood asp or maybe a mad kat. What mechs might other people suggest and what build would you use?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:35 AM

View Posteishiba, on 12 January 2020 - 09:28 AM, said:

I'm interested in trying a new mech. I prefer heavyies and assaults. In lights and mediums i get squashed and dont really put out any real damage. I thought about a blood asp or maybe a mad kat. What mechs might other people suggest and what build would you use?

Clan or Inner Sphere 'Mechs?

And do you realize that you will be a larger and slower target in a heavy or assault 'Mech?

#3 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

View Postmartian, on 12 January 2020 - 09:35 AM, said:

Clan or Inner Sphere 'Mechs?

And do you realize that you will be a larger and slower target in a heavy or assault 'Mech?

I dont really care between clan or inner sphere. Yes I usually pilot an annhilator. I do better in something that can take some damage and still be fine. Ive tried mechs like the locust but i dont feel like i really put out any damage and trying to figure out the best route to avoid getting killed is hard. I think light mechs have it worse than assaults because teams arent going to divide to go squash an assault mech. Ive had so many games in which teams divide to go kill a locust or flea or pirahna.

Ive also tried mediums like the storm crow but i dont really find any success in them either.

#4 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

Without knowing what you are looking for, I can still recommend:
Annihilator (multiple variants)
Mad Cat Mk II (B or hero)
Fafnir
Blood Asp A
Warhawk Prime (only does 4x PPC)
Hellbringer
Ebon Jaguar
Warhammer
Bushwacker
Vapor Eagle
Hunchback IIC

#5 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

Maybe this will help you.

#6 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:12 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 12 January 2020 - 10:08 AM, said:

Maybe this will help you.

I shall watch this. Its because of the sale going on that i was interested in something new. I'm just not sure what.

#7 AizakG

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

Blood asp 3uac5 + 1uac10 and madcat-B 2uac5 2uac10 are great. You'll likely get way worse recommendations in this thread than those two mechs.

Some other mechs worth trying out:
Hellbringer 4c-er-med + 2 similar large lasers of any type + ecm, all in torsos and head.
Dire wolf prime with arms from ultra-violet, 8ac2.
Rifleman IIC-2 6ac2.
Grasshopper 5H with PPCs or laservomit.
Warhammer with 2gauss and er medium lasers.
Quickdraw IV-4 with mrm40+20.
Marauder IIC with laservomit.
Warhawk prime with 4 ERPPC.
ANH with 6ac5.
Slepnir with 4lb10.
Linebacker with 6c-mpl.
etc.

Edited by AizakG, 12 January 2020 - 10:22 AM.

#8 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:23 AM

I second the Marauders (of any variety). If hit-boxes are the same they are pretty durable, have less need for torso-twisting and can take pretty much any load-out.

#9 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:29 AM

Snuggles Time has also made a series if videos on Youtube and I find them very useful. Perhaps a tad dated but still worth a look.

Here the one he did for the Assault class:

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

Grimmechs has an excellent tier list for all classes of 'Mech. The game hasn't changed since the site's last update so all the builds are relevant. These guys are actually good players and their guides are also very handy. I would use Grimmechs as the "authority" over anything else, although I imagine most other guides would present similar information:

https://grimmechs.is...ts?list=general

I would however point out that some of the top tier builds do require some specialized tactics to function well. E.g. The PPC Warhawk and double gauss Warhammer (due to XL).

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:59 AM

View Posteishiba, on 12 January 2020 - 09:49 AM, said:

I dont really care between clan or inner sphere. Yes I usually pilot an annhilator. I do better in something that can take some damage and still be fine. Ive tried mechs like the locust but i dont feel like i really put out any damage and trying to figure out the best route to avoid getting killed is hard. I think light mechs have it worse than assaults because teams arent going to divide to go squash an assault mech. Ive had so many games in which teams divide to go kill a locust or flea or pirahna.

Ive also tried mediums like the storm crow but i dont really find any success in them either.

Fafnir, Mad Cat Mk.II and Blood Asp are frequently used 'Mechs.

#12 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

Depends on your playstyle. If you are looking to purchase your first clan heavy then Hellbringer F with your choice of either 2 Heavy Large Lasers and 4 ER Medium Lasers, or swap out the 2 Heavy Larges with Large Pulse Lasers. It's a solid beginner mech but if you want to play more of a armored support heavy then the Rifleman IIC Prime (48 pin point alpha damage with quad large pulse lasers) or a Rifleman IIC 2 with 6 lbx2's or regular ac2's.

IS heavies you could run a Champion 1NB with 3 RAC2's and stack 4 Small Lasers as your backup weapons. Champions no matter how you build them are pretty decent. All of the IS Marauders are solid mechs and there are a ton of build guides on how to build them properly. Just look up guides of the mechs I suggested from Baradul and BlackhawkSC on youtube.

#13 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

Madcat MKIIB moves like a heavy hits like an assault.

Just whatever you do keep those arms attached.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

According to Davion Loyalist - The Blood ASP has some kinda magic power because of the Competitive community.

It therefore must surely be the best.

On a more serious note, for QP - MCII-B is king.

#15 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

If you want to try some fast Heavy Mechs and like to brawl, look no further than

1. Quickdraw IV4 (MRM 60 builds)

2. Orion IIC - A (LBx 20 + 4 SRM6+A)

3. Roughneck Powerhouse (AC20 + 3 SRM6)

4. Slightly off-beat but incredibly fun is the Black Knight with 9 MPLs and an XL 360. Runs at 83 kph (with Speed Tweak), very XL friendly 'cause it has a giant CT, enough cooling to constantly keep firing, can ignore the ghost heat and Alpha those 9 MPLs twice if you get the right amount of Heat Gen., Heat Containment and Cool Run nodes.

Those 4 mechs are incredibly good for NASCAR queue.

That said, Clan Dakka mechs like Mad Cat IIB (UAC10s + UAC5s) and Blood Asps (3 UAC5 + UAC10) are very good for QP, especially the Mad Cat IIB 'cause of the arm mounted weapons as opposed to the stiff Blood Asp. But if you're looking for a bigger burst damage, try 2 UAC 10 + 1 UAC20 on the Blood Asp or Annihilator. The Annihilator in this build will absolutely wreck face before getting destroyed.

Try the Gargoyle with 6 MPLs + all the ER Micros it can fit. It's like the Black Knight but not using the XL coffin and is more agile.

Faster mechs in the medium category that can wreck face are

1. Vulcan Bloodlust (4 SRM4s; I have a SPL + MGs extra in this build to rip off open components from behind)

2. Dervish Frenzy (the ultimate IS SRM bomber)

3. Assassin 21 (SRM 6s and 4s)

4. Arctic Wolf 1 (lots of SRM4s and 2s) and Prime (4 SRM6+A + ECM and JJ)

All of those mechs will get you 500 MS if you don't run off and face the enemies on your own.

There are other mechs like Catapult with 2 LBx10 and 4 SRM2s that do well, Marauder 3R, Marauder 9M, Bounty Hunter II that do seriously well. Champions with 3 RACs or LBx10 + SRMs and SML/ML will do quite nicely 'cause of their agility and shield arms.

#16 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:22 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 January 2020 - 08:19 PM, said:

On a more serious note, for QP - MCII-B is king.
In your opinion, how big of a liability is having everything in the arms? I know the Mech has been considered meta for quite some time now, but it's always bugged me a bit.

#17 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:47 PM

Check my matchscore for assault class that was achieved by MCII-B solely in the current leaderboard. Make sure to kill the enemy if not, seriously destroy its weapons when showing yourself so don't have to worry about being weaponless.

Edited by MOBAjobg, 13 January 2020 - 12:49 AM.

#18 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:03 AM

View PostIlfi, on 12 January 2020 - 11:22 PM, said:

In your opinion, how big of a liability is having everything in the arms? I know the Mech has been considered meta for quite some time now, but it's always bugged me a bit.

The fact is the playerbase for the most part cannot aim properly. With left side of survival tree you end up with around 65 arm armour. A BASP torso is only 78-80, so 15 more because if you go the ECM (it's strongest point), that saps your available skillmaze nodes for more survival tree that the MCII-B can get instead.

For the 1 in 100+ instances that someone will disarm you, or lose one arm - you're miles in front for the other 99 matches as you have more cooling on the MCIIB (generally 2DHS more) and built right you have more ammo and run almost as fast. The BASP is limited ammo, I have run out numerous times around 1400dmg. MCII-B - 1800dmg+ in QP no drama.

Then the arm factor, which is huge, as it lets you hit SO much more than a all torso-BASP. I can pull off JJ pop shots, slam people 45degree either side while re-positioning, take out lights trying to dikhug you, take out UAVs - the list goes on why on that mech they are great... Plus the JJ to wiggle/spread damage.

So yeah, I say it's better.

I have a hard time with Light/Med arms and some Heavy mechs like the Jager which Chris TOTALLY stuffed up with balance change that made the arms atrociously weak (same issue somehow carried into MW5 Posted Image)... Either way plenty of heavy and assaults are OK in the arm department.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 13 January 2020 - 12:07 AM.

#19 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:30 AM

in fw, against the better groups, the MCIIB arms might be an issue from time to time.
then again: you also got your own group there, so ..

in QP land though, the arms are not an issue, but are a huge advantage in the targeting/movement-department.
then again, the 'nice to have in fw' ECM of the BASP gets equally more useful in QP so..

it evens out more or less.
in QP I prefered the MCIIB; in fw I used to prefer the BASP, since 'proper use of w-is-win-key' got extremely rare there, and the extremely high hardpoints help you shooting out of tight formations quite a bit.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 13 January 2020 - 02:31 AM.

#20 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:27 AM

FP it sometimes matters a bit more.

If you are in a group and there is organised aggression - you won't really get focused arms, it's faster to smack the CT. If you are in a more static group without aggression then you might have more arms issues as there is time to pick them off.

It depends on the situation really.

I'm usually in aggressive groups so I really don't have an issue there either. The main drama is you have certain... Individuals... That won't run anything other than LRMs 24x7 - those can cause issues with the arms and thus in that instance the BASP is better because of ECM essentially negating it.

If I am solo dropping and it's mostly players I know aren't going to really do anything, I ain't dropping a MCIIB as better players on the other side will pick those off and will have the time to do so in a pansy fest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users