Ammo Drop Consumable?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:42 PM

Would the game be improved by a consumable that replenishes some ammo? Even like half a ton would be nice. Now, I know there are plenty who think all consumables ought to be removed, and I wouldn't hate that. But they are here.

We already have coolshots making a huge improvement to hot build sustainability (ie, more damage) and strikes which are directly more damage. A consumable to replenish some ammo would mean long term sustainability vs direct dmg.

Let's say they replenished half a ton of ammo, and could be skilled up to .75tons or something. That would mean you could run a ton less of ammo and take another heatsink or similar. It'd be a big help to the many builds out there that can fit the guns, but then only a couple tons of ammo. Letting you fit bigger guns is a damage boost of sorts, but its indirect.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

I'd hate it far less than existing consumables, though I don't really feel a big need for it. If anything I'd rather just increase the ammo of many weapons up to at least 250 damage per ton. MRMs and the RAC/2 have over 300 damage per ton of ammo and that's a part of why I heart them so much.

#3 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

It would be great if it dropped out of the sky, did damage to anyone it landed on, and could be blown up for AOE damage if it gets shot before it gets picked up.

Even a basic consumable that just adds ammo would require programming, and we don't deserve that. Tell PGI so that they can consider adding it to MW5.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:11 PM

id limit them to 1/4 of an ammo load and make it so you can call for up to 2 of them. giving out a full load just means i switch my ultraviolet to uac2s and replace half the usual ammo with heat sinks.

#5 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:42 PM

Either it'd be such a small amount that no one would run it or it'd be enough to change how you built mechs, and not for the better.

#6 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:29 PM

I wouldn't be against it.. It makes more sense than the arti strikes.

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:05 PM

Make it so that anyone can pick it up and mark its position with, say, red smoke. Posted Image

#8 Spinning Broccoli

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:48 AM

From an immersion perspective, how would a mechwarrior be able to instantly utilize an ammo crate found on the field? Unless it would be done by some auto-loading ammo-carrying spider droid, which would climb up your mech, open up a hatch and load your gun. In that case, the process could be interruptible by shooting and/or would lower your armor on the component where the ammo bin is. Or deal a bit of permanent armor damage to your mech.

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:56 AM

View PostKurb, on 20 January 2021 - 02:48 AM, said:

From an immersion perspective, how would a mechwarrior be able to instantly utilize an ammo crate found on the field? Unless it would be done by some auto-loading ammo-carrying spider droid, which would climb up your mech, open up a hatch and load your gun. In that case, the process could be interruptible by shooting and/or would lower your armor on the component where the ammo bin is. Or deal a bit of permanent armor damage to your mech.

This is where mechs with hand actuators and mech-sized hand-carried weapons would come in.

For mechs like the Jagermech, well...then it's about as realistic as being able to instantly materialize a flare a thousand meters away from your mech and have friendly aircraft also materialize within a few seconds to strafe the area.

#10 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:11 AM

I think I'd much rather have an ECM-style UAV (give ECM in an area) or an AMS-style UAV (has 3-4 AMS and shoots down missiles in an area) than ammo. I can see UAC/LRM boats wanting ammo drops, but for every other build it'd probably go unused. Then again, even those different types of UAVs are probably inferior to Arty and Coolshots unless you really hate dying to lurmboats on Polar. A consumable that can make your enemies drop lock on you for like 3-5 seconds and eliminate a NARC beacon sounds great too like an EMP burst.

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:49 AM

Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish:
  • Add pair of "Ammo Reserves" nodes to the Auxillary skill-tree and a "Ammo Reserves +1"
    • Each Ammo Reserve node is worth 1/4 ton of ammo .
  • Create a new consumable you can equip "Ammo Reserve"
If you have Ammo Reserves equipped you get additional ammo, if not you don't. Maximum ammo is capped at +1 ton if you have both reserves and two consumables equipped.

No need for ammo crates, airdrops etc. KISS.

#12 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 20 January 2021 - 08:49 AM, said:

Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish:
  • Add pair of "Ammo Reserves" nodes to the Auxillary skill-tree and a "Ammo Reserves +1"
    • Each Ammo Reserve node is worth 1/4 ton of ammo .
  • Create a new consumable you can equip "Ammo Reserve"
If you have Ammo Reserves equipped you get additional ammo, if not you don't. Maximum ammo is capped at +1 ton if you have both reserves and two consumables equipped.

No need for ammo crates, airdrops etc. KISS.

If it means removing the arty/air strike consumables and is kept small, even like 1/8th of a refil, I'd like it, Too much ammo and people would just load up on Heatsinks or Armor where they weren't able to before.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:18 AM

View PostHaipyng, on 20 January 2021 - 08:53 AM, said:

If it means removing the arty/air strike consumables and is kept small, even like 1/8th of a refil, I'd like it, Too much ammo and people would just load up on Heatsinks or Armor where they weren't able to before.

I would suggest keeping it a 1/4t per node (max of 1t with two consumables equipped) so it has a similar damage potential to a strike.

If it proves to be too powerful and strikes/coolshots disappear from use then by all means nerf it to 1/8t.

#14 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:50 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 20 January 2021 - 09:18 AM, said:

I would suggest keeping it a 1/4t per node (max of 1t with two consumables equipped) so it has a similar damage potential to a strike.

If it proves to be too powerful and strikes/coolshots disappear from use then by all means nerf it to 1/8t.

I think it could be a little stronger than that because in many games it won't come up. Lots of matches end before people run out of ammo. 1.5tons of ammo total (with all the skills) would be a good amount imo.

#15 MeanMachinE

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:04 AM

They could also consider adding a base for ammo replenishment when playing incursion :) Mech would sit on it and regenerate ammo. If enemy destroys the base, nearby mechs would get splash damage.

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:22 AM

it does kind of solve the problem of ammo starved lights.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:26 AM

View PostMeanMachinE, on 21 January 2021 - 07:04 AM, said:

They could also consider adding a base for ammo replenishment when playing incursion Posted Image Mech would sit on it and regenerate ammo. If enemy destroys the base, nearby mechs would get splash damage.

makes more sense than air control. that only ever comes to play in the fp version of the mode. nobody in sp ever holds base on that one, or at least ive never seen it happen. so have the dropships rain crates down on your base. then you get a half ton of each ammo type you have installed. i like it but every match isnt incursion.

#18 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:53 AM

This is not an awful idea I like this. It would open up build options too because you can make a build that scrimps on ammo then take the ammo consumable.

Edited by SirSmokes, 21 January 2021 - 07:56 AM.

#19 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:56 AM

This thread was moved to Feature Suggestions

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users