Payback 2021 Event

22 replies to this topic

#21 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:45 AM

After realising how it works, i got 3 Spotting Assists in 1 game.
Still don´t want to see this requirement in a game with already near to zero teamplay. Cause what you do is sneak behind the enemy and spot for lurmers, but you don´t know if there are any lurmers in your team. And while spotting you don´t do any damage yorself, so you don´t get spotted.
Same goes for TAG.
That brings me to my suggestion i made weeks ago, to improve teamplay in QP.
No random maps, no preselected mechs.

#22 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:52 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 28 January 2021 - 08:45 AM, said:

After realising how it works, i got 3 Spotting Assists in 1 game.
Still don´t want to see this requirement in a game with already near to zero teamplay. Cause what you do is sneak behind the enemy and spot for lurmers, but you don´t know if there are any lurmers in your team. And while spotting you don´t do any damage yorself, so you don´t get spotted.
Same goes for TAG.
That brings me to my suggestion i made weeks ago, to improve teamplay in QP.
No random maps, no preselected mechs.

And that will cause a very unwanted result... Strict Meta-type Gameplay... That's exactly what we do NOT need, as it will trash virtually all but a few builds on a very few Chassis across the entire MWO game. We need to avoid driving people out of MWO because they feel like their choice of Mechs has been rendered invalid. Sure, we don't want to see Troll Builds either, but forcibly making everyone play only one way will ultimately kill MWO in short order, specifically because people will get tired of having no choices. You don't want to see the exodus that would ensue. :angry:

What it takes to get people to operate as a Team and respect each other's play styles is to throw Challenges at them which reinforce the very idea of playing as a Team in general. Right now, we have a few parts that help with that, including everyone being mostly blind to each other's strategies and the Map Voting which shakes up how people end up playing. There is already no randomness in maps because people have a choice with a Vote to put in. Aren't you using yours at all? However, the last part is not properly reinforced enough, the Incentive & Challenge to do things that are by definition the reverse of being selfish. Things like the Spotting Assist Action Bonus actually need to be amplified in the basic game code, and Challenges such as for Spotting Assist put forth to get people to do non-selfish things in order to get further Rewards in their own coffers, all in order to reinforce that much-needed Teamwork and embed the idea in their minds. That reminds me, you totally do NOT have to avoid fighting in order to get Spotting Assist Bonuses because you can be right with your Team while earning them. All it takes is simply having sight on the Enemy Mech and having them within your Sensor Range at the time where your Teammate's Indirect Lock-On Missiles hit. There is NO requirement of any kind that you have to get around behind the Enemy at all. :huh:

And if I sound salty right now, it's because I've just had five games in a row before posting this where my Team was filled with people who...
  • spread out all over the place when they should NOT have
  • did the nascar when they should NOT have
  • did NOT communicate, which left their Teammates in the dark
  • froze up on Communicating when combat gets heavy, making Teammates unable to help them
  • did NOT keep Teammates alive, causing their own Team to lose available firepower
  • did NOT make a firing line in order to stand & fight when necessary
  • did NOT reverse course when the Enemy was already coming up their rears
  • forced their Teammates to run away from the Enemy and get chewed up from behind
  • played selfishly and forced their Team to repeatedly lose the Match
...and all of that forced me to end up dead, constantly losing one Match after another. Frankly, I have mostly stopped caring about my own PSR due to the climate of the game, and even stopped caring about my Win/Loss Ratio for that matter, but I'm literally sick of constantly dying unnecessarily and losing Kill/Death Ratio because Teammates refuse to work together. In my case, all I'm asking for is Teamwork & Communication because that's the kind of person I am. (Several years ago, when I first started out, it even seemed like the Communication in MWO was far better than it is now!) I depend on Teamwork & Communication in order to be able to perform well, help Teammates stay alive, and get Kills here and there while on the battlefields. The current environment of MWO has literally boiled down to the silence itself being what is killing me, and the only fix for that is to force people into operating as a Team that actually works together, but without taking away the choice of what Mech Loadout that they want to preload. I personally can NOT remember what I have on each and every Mech in my 200+ Garage of them, and there would simply NOT be enough time to properly review what I'm bringing with me if I had to choose it after the Vote is done, because I specifically am NOT like other people in how I read the information into my head when I pilot a Mech. To give you a rough idea, I...
  • go to the MechLab first
  • find a Mech to pilot
  • review the Loadout
  • review the attached Skills data
  • review the other elements
...and finally re-select if I don't happen to think that what I have picked would be suitable for the Next Match which I would be playing. If the ability to properly take the time to select is taken away, then the end result is being forced to play somewhat blindly with whatever I quick-pick, and that is honestly no fun at all due to not having a full understanding of what I brought to the battlefields with me. This game's Community needs to stop wrecking the fun for anyone who does not...
  • have a lightning-fast computer
  • have a lightning-fast mind
  • have a perfect memory
  • have a perfect body
  • play MetaMechs only
  • somehow naturally get what's going on
...because people will keep leaving if their less-than-perfect, doesn't-check-all-of-the-above existences and right to choose non-Meta things (as in, ones which do NOT go into trolling territory) are both not respected. What is the MechLab for anyway if you flatly take choice of what to build with away from everyone? Let's not go around trying to wipe out one of the core aspects of MechWarrior that makes this what it happens to be. :(

I'm gonna walk off at this point, but I'm going to finish with this... We seriously need to stop pushing people away, and show them that non-selfish behavior is better, if for absolutely no other reason than that the various game features need to have enough population to function properly. Is that REALLY too much to ask?!?!? :o

~D. V. "finally pushed into mental overload & a rant during the January 2021 Payback Event" Devnull

#23 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:56 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 22 January 2021 - 12:53 PM, said:

Any chance we can get some of the PGI team playing for this event?

It would be cathartic for both sides to blow the other up.

Paybacks a *****.

In case you missed it.

THANK YOU FOR LETTING US BLOW YOU UP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users