Mode

5 replies to this topic

#1 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:47 AM

lets say there is a hypothetical game mode that is fundamentally the same as skirmish without pretending to be something else. and this mode had controllable towers all over the place to grant players a wide variety localized effects while standing near them. the towers have no relevance towards the objective, which remains skirmish. they only help you kill mechs faster. towers may include but are not limited to:

cooling
ecm
ammo feed (free ammo)
mobility
range
fast locks
blueshield (anti-ppc shield)
ams screen
arrow iv implacement
various artillery pieces (canon, not og long tom)
turrets
fast consumable recharge.
crit multiplier
cooldown
laser diffuser (reduces laser damage)
satellite downlink (super uav)
stealth breaker
etc...

controlling a tower means having at least one mech standing in its field of influence for a 5 seconds while keeping the enemy out. you must then stay in that field of influence to gain the tower's effects. some may be continuous, others intermittent. and the beacons may be scattered randomly, with random effects each match. thus games will maximize map usage and improve variety. fat chance in it ever being implemented, but i think it might be one mode that would actually work out in qp.

#2 A PLUMP BABY SEAL

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIn the verse

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 21 January 2021 - 07:47 AM, said:

fat chance in it ever being implemented, but i think it might be one mode that would actually work out in qp.

PGI can't: even rotate in decent trial mechs for new players
or change spawn points on maps for variety

- OR even add quirks to dried up old mechs that are never played...

I wish they could do something like what your suggesting. But we're left with plans.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

That's actually not a bad idea, and some of the work might be done. I'm thinking cooling, ecm, jamming, ams screen, turrets, uav would be the easiest to implement since they're already in the game. And dropship too.

We could see variations of existing modes like:
Dominion but the center structure changes and offers a benefit.
Assault, but each base provides bonuses.
Conquest but the structure changes and in addition to resources, the zone offer a perk.

We could tweak a lot of things to mix things up. Skirmish, but the level as a sensor net. Capture any of the 3-7 points to capture that sensor tower and use it's radar.
Same, but with turrets, or same but with jammers or something else.

Ammo reloads makes more sense in the prolonged fights of Faction Play

Maybe there's a way to have a capture the flag mode, but I think that would require respawns to work.

#4 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:38 PM

View PostA PLUMP BABY SEAL, on 21 January 2021 - 02:35 PM, said:

PGI can't: even rotate in decent trial mechs for new players
or change spawn points on maps for variety

- OR even add quirks to dried up old mechs that are never played...

I wish they could do something like what your suggesting. But we're left with plans.

Or fix the spawns both in QP and in Testing Grounds plus the facing of TG targets.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:53 AM

I am down for the following Skirmish Towers:
  • ECM Tower - Provides ECM coverage for controlling team mechs and jam enemy team mechs within 240m-540m.
  • Radar Tower - Extends mech Sensor range by 240m-480m for friendly mechs within 240m-540m. Improves targeting and lock on times.
  • AMS Tower - A tower that has 4 AMS that protects against hostile missiles. Tower AMS can have longer range than regular mech AMS.
  • Turret - LRM5 or AC/2 turrets. Annoying things that are hard to ignore from long range, but not fatal like Gauss turret. None of those useless medium laser turrets.
  • Cooling Tower - This can make sense. Just make it super short range to put huddling mechs at risk from airstrike or arty. Maybe just increase cooling rate by 10%? Nothing too crazy. Just make it look like one big fridge.

#6 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:11 AM

This thread has been moved to Feature Suggestions

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 26 January 2021 - 06:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users