A Bug I Never Had Before

10 replies to this topic

#1 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:54 PM

So it was in river city domination FP match, first mech, 3 min in game, and my mech started to move in a random direction without me to press any key.

I tried to move in the opposite direction, no way. It cannot come from my keyboard input, since whatever where my legs were pointing at, the mech was still moving in the same exact direction.

It felt exactly the same as when a mech is pushing you. I gain control of my mech back after a few seconds.

So thanks for the new content PGI, didnt know it would be bugs tho.

#2 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

I've had that happen fairly infrequently since the game first came out I think. Alt tabbing and mashing my keyboard would sometimes fix it. Other times I'd have to restart.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:45 AM

I had one bug where my Gauss rifles kept charging and firing even after I unplugged my mouse. I'm not sure how I stopped it. I think I powered down.

#4 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

You were kinda in a spot that isn't really designed for mechs.. I wonder if you were jammed on terrain an it was forcing you like that.
Just a thought.

#5 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:01 PM

Do you have a gamepad/controller or other device plugged in? I would periodically get slight cursor drift in my mech. Turned out to be my Xbox controller causing it (because the game was confused, not because anything was actually being pushed.)

Edited by Heavy Money, 24 January 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#6 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:10 AM

View PostBackShot, on 22 January 2021 - 06:54 PM, said:

So it was in river city domination FP match, first mech, 3 min in game, and my mech started to move in a random direction without me to press any key.

I tried to move in the opposite direction, no way. It cannot come from my keyboard input, since whatever where my legs were pointing at, the mech was still moving in the same exact direction.

It felt exactly the same as when a mech is pushing you. I gain control of my mech back after a few seconds.

So thanks for the new content PGI, didnt know it would be bugs tho.

May be it's "loss of keyboard sync" problem? It's not bug. It's hardware problem, that is caused by keyboard, losing "key release" packet somewhere, causing some key to get stuck in pressed state, when it's actually released. Solution is simple. Instead of trying to turn to opposite direction, you should do counter-intuitive thing - press and release that stuck button again.

Edited by MrMadguy, 25 January 2021 - 12:10 AM.

#7 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:42 AM

View PostHeavy Money, on 24 January 2021 - 09:01 PM, said:

Do you have a gamepad/controller or other device plugged in? I would periodically get slight cursor drift in my mech. Turned out to be my Xbox controller causing it (because the game was confused, not because anything was actually being pushed.)

I also had this same issue when my controller was plugged in.

#8 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:02 AM

View PostSamial, on 24 January 2021 - 08:53 PM, said:

You were kinda in a spot that isn't really designed for mechs.. I wonder if you were jammed on terrain an it was forcing you like that.
Just a thought.

this is a farily common spots for mechs in tier 1, i went myself there more times then i could tell and never experimented that.

No i have nothing else plugged.

View PostMrMadguy, on 25 January 2021 - 12:10 AM, said:

May be it's "loss of keyboard sync" problem? It's not bug. It's hardware problem, that is caused by keyboard, losing "key release" packet somewhere, causing some key to get stuck in pressed state, when it's actually released. Solution is simple. Instead of trying to turn to opposite direction, you should do counter-intuitive thing - press and release that stuck button again.

Can you read the post entirely before answering ?

#9 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:55 AM

View PostBackShot, on 22 January 2021 - 06:54 PM, said:

It's a geometry clip. You can see what happens:

Backs up from the edge

Turns to face target

At 0:04 the mech "drops" in to the geometry (at this point you're clipped)

The game starts nudging you in the direction of the last known good position which is back towards the edge.

Once you're free/off the edge you can move normally again.

Not sure if it's due to ping/lag or actual map geometry, I'm guessing the former as there's an unregistered PPC hit at 0:15 (reticle shows hit, rag-doll does not) which is normally due to ping/lag. If it was a map-geo issue I would expect this to be reported more.

#10 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:18 PM

How do you actually hit anything with a controller Posted Image

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:03 AM

View PostSamial, on 26 January 2021 - 08:18 PM, said:

How do you actually hit anything with a controller Posted Image

In other games: Aim assist
In MWO: sheer coincidence

You don't have to actually use the controller to experience what Heavy Money described, though. It's sufficient to have it plugged in. Many games share that issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users