#1 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:46 PM

So the title says it all:

Would One Shot Missile Launchers be useful in MWO?

Yes, or No?

Please keep to topic and do not add other topics to this thread.

Also, keep all conversations to the point and civil. Thank you.

Edited by Hawk819, 16 February 2021 - 02:47 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:40 PM

No. A one-shot SRM4 or something would simply not justify its tonnage. It would be better to mount a smaller launcher with ammo or just forgo the launcher entirely and spend the tonnage elsewhere.

Rocket Launchers can hardly justify their tonnage and they do up to 40 damage per salvo (RL20).

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 February 2021 - 06:21 PM

Rocket launchers have their uses. One-shot SRMs or LRMs were stupid in tabletop, the idea has not improved with age.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 03:20 AM

View PostHawk819, on 16 February 2021 - 02:46 PM, said:

So the title says it all:

Would One Shot Missile Launchers be useful in MWO?

Yes, or No?

Please keep to topic and do not add other topics to this thread.

Also, keep all conversations to the point and civil. Thank you.

One-shot missiles (no matter whether SRMs, MRMs or LRMs) are useless in tabletop BattleTech. They would be equally useless in MWO. Well, they would be even less useful in MWO because there are many more missile counters in MWO.

One-shot Rocket Launchers have only a very limited usefulness in tabletop BattleTech and there are good reasons why nobody uses them in MWO.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:22 PM

View Postmartian, on 27 March 2021 - 03:20 AM, said:

One-shot Rocket Launchers have only a very limited usefulness in tabletop BattleTech and there are good reasons why nobody uses them in MWO.

Rocket launchers have uses in MWO. Limited, yes, but uses.

I routinely use a Centurion AL with 3 ERLL that has a pair of RL15's for contingency use, either sucker punching someone in the back to finish them quickly, or for fleas that get too close. And there are niche uses as well, such as an Assassin or Raven with 80 rockets and a couple pulse lasers on FP, running in to inflict a ton of insta-damage on the enemy base as a 3rd or 4th mech drop. Torpedo birds for the win. Posted Image

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:11 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 28 March 2021 - 07:22 PM, said:

Rocket launchers have uses in MWO. Limited, yes, but uses.

I routinely use a Centurion AL with 3 ERLL that has a pair of RL15's for contingency use, either sucker punching someone in the back to finish them quickly, or for fleas that get too close. And there are niche uses as well, such as an Assassin or Raven with 80 rockets and a couple pulse lasers on FP, running in to inflict a ton of insta-damage on the enemy base as a 3rd or 4th mech drop. Torpedo birds for the win. Posted Image

Good if it works for you, but I would rather equip my 'Mech with more heat sinks or armor.

#7 ambosen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:45 AM

One shot missiles in the battletech tabletop game were originally intended to give certain lighter, non mech vehicles and infantry a little more punch without an absurd amount of weight for ammunition for the typically lighter then a mech tank, APC, hovercraft, and obviously infantry both powered and non powered units. In my personal opinion, they were kind of a solution looking for a problem and only became more so once vehicles in particular got more variety in weight, types, and in some cases, missile weapons scaled specifically in line with what some of those vehicles could mount, and obviously omnivehicles that could switch out modular weapons pods just like omnimechs.

They never made sense for mechs to begin with in my opinion.

#8 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:57 AM

No, single use SRMs or LRMs are just a big waste of tonnage..while I have to point out that single use LRM or SRM Launcher are lighter than their standart counterparts in TT and they are not implemented in MWO so its not a thema.
Regarding the RLs...from a TT point of view they are quite usefull to beef up Industry mechs or other nonBattlemechs to make them able to hurt things. A company of Agromechs or Miningmechs with RLs can be a realy bad surprise even for a large Battlemech since they will potentially go unnoticed until its too late.
In MWO RLs are particularly usefull to accomplish killquests in events since a well placed volley of them fired from a smaler, mobile mech versus the back armor of a medium or assault meens certain death in most cases.
Also "securing" killshots is incredibly easy with them.
So ... yes they have their limited specialized uses in isolated circumstances...especially on mechs with more hardpoints than viably be used and no room for bigger engines or more heatsinks.
There are trashmechs out there no tryhard would use because "it's a waste of time".
Well try a Marauder II with quad Snub LARGE engine and a couple of RLs.
Try them on the Dervish hero with a couple of srms as main wpns and the RLs for surprising killshots or to get armor down while you are rushing an enemy.
Try them on the 5W Archer as secondary weapon to ruine overeager (its just an archer) enemys days.

Edited by The Basilisk, 12 May 2021 - 07:16 AM.

#9 DaMuchi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:07 PM

I don't even understand the point of it. One shot SRM launchers are half tonne more than their normal versions. why not just mount the regular version with half tonne of ammo. some sort of niche situation where you can't spare 1 slot for ammo?

#10 Armchair General

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 07:38 AM

Thread moved to Feature Suggestions subforum

#11 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:19 PM

Theres no rule that says they have to be one shot though.

Make them two or three shots or however many shots it takes to make them worth it.

I mean PGI has already changed ammo values on other weapons.

#12 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:27 AM

Only if it's an inferno launcher...

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:16 AM

View PostGhoja, on 02 November 2021 - 01:27 AM, said:

Only if it's an inferno launcher...

It is ironic that the old MechWarrior 2 had Infernos, but the new MechWarrior Online lacks them.

#14 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, a lot of stuff from older titles and the board game hasn’t made it in. Inferno missiles, Thunderbolt missiles, LBX ammo switches, Crusaders…

Not that I want ammo switches. Yes, the absence hamstrings LBX autocannons and prevents the introduction of the MML, but with an ammo switch nobody would ever use a standard autocannon again.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:23 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 27 November 2021 - 08:39 AM, said:

Yeah, a lot of stuff from older titles and the board game hasn’t made it in. Inferno missiles, Thunderbolt missiles, LBX ammo switches, …

X-pulse lasers that I remember from MechWarrior 3: Pirate's Moon and MechWarrior 4: Black Knight.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 27 November 2021 - 08:39 AM, said:

Not that I want ammo switches. Yes, the absence hamstrings LBX autocannons and prevents the introduction of the MML, but with an ammo switch nobody would ever use a standard autocannon again.

I would make the spread of LBX pellets really wide - after all, they were designed with critseeking in opened sections in mind. In BattleTech you roll on the entire body table. Maybe even give single pellets slightly less damage that they have now.

So everybody taking LBX Autocannon would have to think twice, what amount of what type of ammunition he will put in his 'Mech in the Mechlab, since running out of slugs and being left with clustershots, while enemy 'Mechs still have lots of armor, would mean a big problem.

Essentially, while LBX Autocannon is lighter, cautious player would load slightly more slug ammo to avoid the situation that I have just described. So in the end you would end up with a lighter gun, but usually taking more ammo.

So it would balance itself out. It would not be the thoughtless "I am taking LBX because it is lighter". You would:
  • either take AC-10 with two tons of ammo
  • or take LBX-10 with 3 or 3.5 tons of mixed slugs/cluster ammo

#16 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:52 PM

View Postmartian, on 28 November 2021 - 02:23 AM, said:

X-pulse lasers that I remember from MechWarrior 3: Pirate's Moon and MechWarrior 4: Black Knight.

I would make the spread of LBX pellets really wide - after all, they were designed with critseeking in opened sections in mind. In BattleTech you roll on the entire body table. Maybe even give single pellets slightly less damage that they have now.

So everybody taking LBX Autocannon would have to think twice, what amount of what type of ammunition he will put in his 'Mech in the Mechlab, since running out of slugs and being left with clustershots, while enemy 'Mechs still have lots of armor, would mean a big problem.

Essentially, while LBX Autocannon is lighter, cautious player would load slightly more slug ammo to avoid the situation that I have just described. So in the end you would end up with a lighter gun, but usually taking more ammo.

So it would balance itself out. It would not be the thoughtless "I am taking LBX because it is lighter". You would:
  • either take AC-10 with two tons of ammo
  • or take LBX-10 with 3 or 3.5 tons of mixed slugs/cluster ammo

Or... you could take LBX-10 with 3 tons of slug ammo instead of the AC-10 with 2 tons of slug ammo... Ammo switching with freely available weapons and ammo will 100% see the eradication of the standard AC/10. The other standard ACs have crit slot benefits over their LBX counterparts, but the AC/10 is bigger and heavier than its LBX version.

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:15 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 08 December 2021 - 02:52 PM, said:

Or... you could take LBX-10 with 3 tons of slug ammo instead of the AC-10 with 2 tons of slug ammo... Ammo switching with freely available weapons and ammo will 100% see the eradication of the standard AC/10. The other standard ACs have crit slot benefits over their LBX counterparts, but the AC/10 is bigger and heavier than its LBX version.

That's the reason why AC-10 all but disappeared from modern 'Mechs in BattleTech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users