Intel Gathering: Bolt-Ons, Weapons Balance Pass 1, Map Spawn Points

58 replies to this topic

#21 Meppoy

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:13 AM

Small and tremendously important fix: return some damage to the clan small pulses. Literally nobody plays them these days, they're just so bad. Up the damage to 5.5, a bit more heat generation, abit higher cooldown - and it would be playable once again. Right now ~90% of clan light mechs are machinegun-boats, and it's miserable. Whole layer of the game is crippled by inefficiency of clan small pulses, and it should be fixed asap.

And thank you for re-initiating the work on this glorious game. It deserves all the possible attention).

#22 Kestrel Atreides

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:39 AM

Biggest frustration in QP is picking mech before knowing the map/mode. I think people would like Alpine and Polar if we could always take mechs that aren't useless on those maps.

And make Solaris (2v2) a queue, and while you're at it add 3v3/4v4 and get rid of the division system.

(I know, all of that is off topic)

Bolt-Ons: don't care
Weapons Balance: needs work but I don't want to do maths
Map Spawns: just drop the 3 lances right next to each other on opposite sides of the map from the other team. Could even make it random but exact opposite sides.

#23 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:01 PM

The only fix to bolt-ons that matters is giving an option to toggle all of them off for people who don't want them visually present. Let others have all the crazy bolt-ons they want stay on their mech and mech components for the duration of the match.

I personally just want my bolt-ons to stay on their respective components, period. Its why I got them.

#24 Agent Super Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

Weapons:
I would love an excuse to play around with light PPCs. Surely that's the most un-usable of all weapons? Shame to have them in the store and never have the freedom to use them.
And some help for light gauss. Especially on the Blackhawk Special! (Atlas D-DC with 2x Light Gauss and MRMs :D )
And there's never, ever a reason to take small lasers over ER small, so maybe a slight buff to that, in addition to whatever help might be given to both factions of ER smalls?

Map Spawn points:
You nailed the most serious offender for spawn. 2nd would be the low ground on frozen city classic skirmish mode, when we lose our assaults in the city right away.

In general, for map spawn points, it would REALLY improve the player experience if you nudged inattentive players to go the correct way and not suicide - rotating the spawn point so everyone on Terra Therma is facing left and doesn't autopilot themselves to F7 and wipe themselves out. There are other examples of that, but that is one.
It ruins the fun a lot when inattentive players sink the team before battle is even joined. You may think that rotating the facing in the spawn points doesn't do much, but I promise it is a HUGE quality of life improvement. Nudges can go a LONG way to change behaviour in inattentive or indifferent players, and most people without a psychology background won't realize the power of this. The government of the UK has a whole "Nudge Unit" that looks for low-cost options to change mass behaviour and make life better. This is an MWO version of that.
Other players will say they hate being dropped from the side of the dropship facing the wrong way, and that's true, but I think this is an even higher priority.
Just twist the Terra Therma spawn points to all face left for Domination, instead of toward F7, and track if that team starts winning more. Betcha $50 you see it. Call me to collect your winnings if you don't. *shakes hand*

Thanks!

#25 D U N E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

The Gulag are some of MWOs top competitive players, these are players that use most mechs in the game, want to use every weapon system - and generally, while there is a bias for skilled gameplay (which IMO, it a large part of a PvP game) - they want all forms of gameplay to be fun for all parties.

So unlike solid IS/Clan players that scream about bias on the other side, or players that are very short sighted in what actually does what, they know the meta, are likely the best people in understanding what happens if you adjust numbers, and generally are likely the most competent group in giving positive balance changes that should make the game more fun and engaging. Below will be a quote from Navid that demonstrates the changes they want, make up your own mind after reading it what you think.

View PostNavid A1, on 18 February 2021 - 06:20 PM, said:

Here is the link to weapon change suggestions that were brought up by the "gulag" (a group of comp, casual, veteran and new MWO players)

Weapon changes: https://i.imgur.com/7p8TIrU.png

Posted Image

vs Live stats: https://i.imgur.com/rEh9bJ2.png

In accordance with the above weapon changes these modifications to mech quirks would be required:
https://www.dropbox....11_30.docx?dl=0

Also... Jump Jets:
  • Current system:
Posted Image

• Solution:
Posted Image

MASC:
  • Reduce MASC fill-rate by 50% (from 0.09 to 0.045), leading to double active time
  • Reduce accel/decel boost to x1.5 (instead of x 2)
  • Reduce reticle shake and spread to 33% of current amount (-66%reduction)
  • Increase redline threshold to 85 (from 75)

Full proposal including the above mentioned weapon changes and other aspects, like mech mobility and Jump jets: https://www.dropbox....AG_v2.pptx?dl=0

Will update this post if something changes.

#26 Zulu211

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:06 AM

I can't imagine caring about bolt-ons.

Weapons; IS LPL Heavier, less damage and range. Why? Using them with all that downside is tough. IS lasers in general suffer too high a cost in contrast to the Clan ballistics.

#27 A21B

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:52 AM

ok heres a thought, i feel rac 2's are way to op. a medium mech should not be able to carry 3 of them with enough ammo to fire non stop for the whole match. i would propose the make the racs 4 crits instead of 3 and the ammo should be 2 crits.
while were on the topic of crits lrm ammo should also be 2 crits per ton no mech should have 4 lrm 20's and over 2500 rounds.
support weapons should not be main or only weapons. ive given this some thought and almost every mechs stock loadouts would go unchanged.
by increasing the crits to 2 you might have to use single heat sinks and be less heat efficient. you have to have a negative with every positive

#28 SATAN 666

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:59 AM

Remove min distance for Heavy PPC and LRMS, there is absolutely no logical reason why a weapon shouldn't do any damage when it is fired at close targets,other than making the assaults a more easier prey than they already are.

PS for assaults the max fired laser penalty(ghost heat) should be remowed aswell, they are bigger, they have better heat dessipation

Edited by SATAN 666, 21 February 2021 - 09:02 AM.

#29 Maxx31

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts
  • LocationValley of the Sun

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:35 PM

Map spawn points: For the large maps, during mission planning you would have accounted for the assault mechs and placed them closer to the front (when you have to stagger drop locations) so the scouts can catch up and not overpace the rest of the unit. The algorithm should account for that.

Second, I would like to have a map view showing while still in the drop ship, but before the drop to orient myself. That would be another more realistic aspect.

Last, off topic, but any way to release the images used as the banners as wallpaper? I like the artwork.

#30 Raydeen

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:24 PM

The ballistic class 2 weapons are all overpowered, they should be hotter. All machine guns should also have heat. Finally it is completely ridiculous that the IS large and IS ER large lasers cooldown faster than the medium counterpart. The cooldown should be similar the every other class of weapons. I also have hated the gauss charging mechanic as others mentioned. I can't hear it charged when i'm getting shot with background noise and with all the flashing cant see the little display indicating a charge. It would be much better to just charge just like a standard ballistic reloading.

Edited by Raydeen, 22 February 2021 - 07:33 PM.

#31 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:21 PM

View PostSATAN 666, on 21 February 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

Remove min distance for Heavy PPC and LRMS, there is absolutely no logical reason why a weapon shouldn't do any damage when it is fired at close targets,other than making the assaults a more easier prey than they already are.

PS for assaults the max fired laser penalty(ghost heat) should be remowed aswell, they are bigger, they have better heat dessipation

this is not a good idea.
you are buffing LRMs, a weapon that is too strong already.

also removing ghost heat.... we'll see a lot more one-shot builds, which imho does not contribute to the game being fun or competitive

#32 SATAN 666

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:24 AM

View PostTheUltimateGhost, on 22 February 2021 - 10:21 PM, said:

this is not a good idea.

also removing ghost heat.... we'll see a lot more one-shot builds, which imho does not contribute to the game being fun or competitive

LRM too strong?Not if you you use AMS .I bet you would be happy if PGi nerfed LRMS to death or completely removed them, am right?

I was talking about removing ghost heat from assault mechs since they are bigger and the weapons shouldn`t be so much affected by ghost heat.

After all this is not a WW1 simulator where you need to pull the trigger on each weapon separately.

#33 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:58 AM

View PostMaxx31, on 21 February 2021 - 06:35 PM, said:

Last, off topic, but any way to release the images used as the banners as wallpaper? I like the artwork.

Second that, I always use some of the images on the site as wallpapers. No matter how old the game is, it still looks good !

#34 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:45 AM

this is not a good idea.

Clan LRMs are less affected by minimum Range, and need less tonnage & slot.
Also Clan Targetting Computers & BAPs (both needed for faster target locks) are lighter for clans.
Using the same rules for Clan & IS LRM would be the best way to handle minimum distance.
Completly removing minimum range from the game would be increasing the teamdamage and teamkill hazard, not buffing LRMs Posted Image

#35 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:49 AM

View PostSATAN 666, on 23 February 2021 - 01:24 AM, said:

I was talking about removing ghost heat from assault mechs since they are bigger and the weapons shouldn`t be so much affected by ghost heat.

Ghost heat has nothing to do with a Mechs size or class, it was PGIs methode to prevent the boating of too many large weapons in one mech without limiting the size of a weapon a hardpoint can mount.

It was done to prevent stuff like Stalkers with 6 PPCs (60 points of damage to one location with one hit) or 6 Large Lasers.

Edited by Alreech, 23 February 2021 - 09:49 AM.

#36 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:12 PM

View PostAlreech, on 23 February 2021 - 09:45 AM, said:

Also Clan Targetting Computers & BAPs (both needed for faster target locks) are lighter for clans.

Targetting Computers and Active Probes do not reduce the time to get a missile lock on a target. What they do, though is increase the sensor range and thus, indirectly and ever so slightly affect IDF locks.

#37 SATAN 666

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:21 PM

View PostAlreech, on 23 February 2021 - 09:49 AM, said:

Ghost heat has nothing to do with a Mechs size or class, it was PGIs methode to prevent the boating of too many large weapons in one mech without limiting the size of a weapon a hardpoint can mount.

It was done to prevent stuff like Stalkers with 6 PPCs (60 points of damage to one location with one hit) or 6 Large Lasers.

Yes , I`m aware PGI indtroduced the ghost heat since all previos MW games I used to play there was no ghost heat.

Ok they prevented Stalkers to use 6ppc how many people have you seen playing Stalkers in recent time, or assault mechs?

And those who are saying LRMS are overpowered, please play 10 games in a row a missile boat like anh-mb , record that and put it on youtube, I would like to see your matchscore.

#38 K4I 4LL4RD LI4O

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:20 AM

Ok guys. Most important thing...the heat spike from side torso destruction needs to go...and it needs to be gone yesterday. That was the worst thing you ever did to the game imo. Pls make it stop!!!

Edited by K4I 4LL4RD LI4O, 24 February 2021 - 06:21 AM.

#39 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:50 AM

View PostSATAN 666, on 23 February 2021 - 11:21 PM, said:

Yes , I`m aware PGI introduced the ghost heat since all previous MW games I used to play had no ghost heat.

Ok they prevented Stalkers using 6 PPCs. How many people have you seen playing Stalkers recently, or assault mechs?

And those who are saying LRMS are overpowered, please play 10 games in a row a missile boat like anh-mb , record that and put it on youtube, I would like to see your matchscore.

So I've been leveling up a couple of Stalkers recently, and I do actually see them used on a somewhat regular basis. Particularly the -3Fb with ECM and usually six large lasers of some variety, which can still be fired three-and-three. I also see plenty of Warhammer IIC's, Nightstars, Annihilators, Blood Asps, Cyclops, Supernovas, and the occasional Kodiak, Dire Wolf, Warhawk, Atlas, and Fafnir (among others). If we eliminated ghost heat on assault 'mechs, suddenly the Dire Star becomes viable.

As for LRMs, it depends on what you consider to be "overpowered". A missile boat deals a lot of damage (and can get higher than average match score when played right), but it has a direct counter (AMS), and an indirect counter (ECM). Unguided direct fire is difficult due to the low projectile speed, and it spreads damage over the entire 'mech, often missing the target with a portion of the volley. Of 40 missiles fired, one can expect only 35 of those to hit the target before accounting for AMS. If there are seven or eight AMS systems within range of the target, then none of the 40 missiles will reach the ground. On the other hand, if there is no AMS or ECM on the other team, and the LRM boat has someone doing a good job of spotting or NARCing, they can rack up 1000 dmg, two or three solo kills, and over 500 match score.

I've had matches at both extremes with my NCT-B (90 clan LRMs with 10 tons of ammo). I've ended matches with less than 100 match score, and I've ended matches with over 500 match score. I've not had any matches exceed 700 match score, though, as I see happen with LBX Cyclops builds, or other short-ranged brawling 'mechs.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 24 February 2021 - 06:51 AM.

#40 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:45 AM

View PostK4I 4LL4RD LI4O, on 24 February 2021 - 06:20 AM, said:

Ok guys. Most important thing...the heat spike from side torso destruction needs to go...and it needs to be gone yesterday. That was the worst thing you ever did to the game imo. Pls make it stop!!!

PGI didn't do this, it's a mechanic that's existed for the entirety of Battletech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users