The Difference Between Tier 4 And Tier 3

48 replies to this topic

#1 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:23 PM

I find myself fluctuating between barely tier 3 and 99.9% tier 4. I've noticed that people are much more accurate in tier 3 with better reflexes. I'm almost tempted sometimes to play my more competitive builds but then I stop myself and remember that I can't forgo my principles just for tier. I can't just cheat on my 2 erppc viper-b for the chance to play baradul (I've only ever been in 2 matches with the guy in all the time I've been playing).

Basically, the difference between tier 3 and tier 4 is very noticeable to me in terms of difficulty. I think maybe I should try to pad my match score in the opposite direction with goofy mechs rather than try to pad tier 3 to use goofy mechs. If that fails, there's always Runescape neopets (Runescape is too hard).

With that in mind I think I'll try my lrm 100 marauder 4hp. Maybe mess around with a 2x medium laser, 2x RAC2 assassin to see if that's good at hunting light mechs?

Baradul needs to name one of his atlas "Tip of Despair" and one of his crabs "Holy Crab". Just commentating.

Edited by account redo v1, 24 February 2021 - 05:25 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

The RAC/2 is usually not effective against light mechs. It is pretty good against most things over 40 tons though.

I'm just wondering how much armor you had to strip to make that fit...

#3 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:40 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2021 - 05:27 PM, said:

The RAC/2 is usually not effective against light mechs. It is pretty good against most things over 40 tons though.

I'm just wondering how much armor you had to strip to make that fit...

Something like this:
ASN-26

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:41 PM

View Postaccount redo v1, on 24 February 2021 - 05:40 PM, said:

Something like this:
ASN-26

It is better than your ERPPC Viper, I'll give you that.

I'd personally downgrade the engine a wee bit to fit more armor but it looks workable at least.

#5 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:41 AM

mainly people from tier 3 onwards arent absolute potatoes thats why

#6 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:43 AM

View PostRePlayBoy101, on 25 February 2021 - 02:41 AM, said:

Well I don't know about that... at least with regards to...

<----This person

Though I suppose 'mainly' makes the difference here.

I can't seem to pad my score negatively if I keep playing my 2erppc viper. And I can't reliably get locks with my marauder 4hp (haven't built it yet, but I just know how these things go for me). Maybe I could somehow insta-disconnect just before dying and then that could affect match score, but it also comes with waiting penalty.

Edited by account redo v1, 25 February 2021 - 04:48 AM.

#7 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:15 AM

View Postaccount redo v1, on 25 February 2021 - 04:43 AM, said:

<----This person

I can't seem to pad my score negatively if I keep playing my 2erppc viper. And I can't reliably get locks with my marauder 4hp (haven't built it yet, but I just know how these things go for me). Maybe I could somehow insta-disconnect just before dying and then that could affect match score, but it also comes with waiting penalty.

or do more than 2 panic clicks ... i vent from tier 5 to tier 3 with 20 matches

View Postaccount redo v1, on 25 February 2021 - 04:43 AM, said:

<----This person

or do more than 2 panic clicks ... i vent from tier 5 to tier 3 with 20 matches

#8 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,831 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:23 AM

@OP,

When you first get to a new Tier 3 you are up against players who are almost at Tier 2 so thy should be more difficult opponents. After a time in a given Tier you'll get used to the pace and you won't notice the difference nearly as much. At T3 you are also matched with players from T2 (at least when the MM doesn't open the valves).

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#9 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:31 AM

Tiers are pretty pointless when most in game are actually high tiers on alt accounts etc.. There are heaps of tier 1s in tier 4 and 5 seal clubbing these days.

If i used nothing but my best mechs i could easily get back to tier 3.. but i enjoy my meme mechs far to much to do anything as stupid as progress up to the meta tiers.. They are so boring and crazy up there.

Edited by Samial, 25 February 2021 - 07:31 AM.

#10 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:40 PM

View PostSamial, on 25 February 2021 - 07:31 AM, said:

Tiers are pretty pointless when most in game are actually high tiers on alt accounts etc.. There are heaps of tier 1s in tier 4 and 5 seal clubbing these days.

If i used nothing but my best mechs i could easily get back to tier 3.. but i enjoy my meme mechs far to much to do anything as stupid as progress up to the meta tiers.. They are so boring and crazy up there.

That's the problem, I don't want to just miss making my ppc shots with my 2 erppc viper, but that causes me to go up in rank sometimes. I need some sort of item that caps my rank at just short of tier 3 while it is in the mech. Or maybe inverts any gains in rank so I can go to tier 5 for easier matches?

Edited by account redo v1, 25 February 2021 - 12:41 PM.

#11 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:52 PM

Tier 5 and tier 1 should be the lowest populations. Tier 4 you're going to be more likely to end up with tier 5 because they will struggle to get matches. Soon as you hit tier 3, you're going to get dragged into tier 1 matches.

Keep playing potato builds though and you should stay around 4. Maybe see if you can throw a LAMS on that viper.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:05 PM

View PostRePlayBoy101, on 25 February 2021 - 02:41 AM, said:

It's potatoes all the way down my dude.

View PostSamial, on 25 February 2021 - 07:31 AM, said:

Wolverine 7K says balls to "boring", but it is certainly crazy.

#13 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:43 PM

The thing with moving into higher tiers is that your enemies are better, but so are your team mates.
And sometimes people at low tiers are very dangerous because they do unpredictable things and get lucky.

#14 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:56 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 25 February 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

The thing with moving into higher tiers is that your enemies are better, but so are your team mates.
And sometimes people at low tiers are very dangerous because they do unpredictable things and get lucky.

yeah.. like alpha you from the back ..

really, if anybody tries to keep his tier down with intent, just to farm beginners and/or avoid decent folks, that's just absurd.
I haven't played since &jarls-then&, but I think the tier-landscape and the players couldn't have changed that much since then.

basically, the biggest difference in tiers I remember is that in tier5 people cored you out from behind by accident, and in tier1 it is a dastardly-mate, doing it on purpose Posted Image*

*and rightly so most times. If you're at the point you're gonna win anyway, might as well have some fun .. Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 25 February 2021 - 03:58 PM.

#15 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:22 PM

wow some folks are in Tier 3, i'm old fart, was in tier 2, never pushed for tier 1, but i have been playing for very long time, i don't like to new tier system at all, the last 7 days or so, i have been averaging around a 300 match score nightly, 7PM to 9PM eastern, and i am starting to see higher level groups, and folks i use to play with, and some would prefer i was gone or DEAD.
OHH yes i am on the verge of tier 5, honestly less then a new guy LOL, so i have a mech for you, dumbest mech ever but it can be a blast, build a timber wolf and put 3 lbx2 on it and some med lasers, and learn how to use jump jets, and become a light killer, ever seen 5 guys chase a mouse LOL, of course the timber will be a target, ever one hates them, considered weak ECT ECT, just freaking nuts.

SAWK PS i am CLAN,

#16 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:20 PM

View Postaccount redo v1, on 24 February 2021 - 05:23 PM, said:

I think maybe I should try to pad my match score in the opposite direction with goofy mechs rather than try to pad tier 3 to use goofy mechs.

There are other ways to play besides padding match score.
My current is to use Mechs with low XP on them to see what is useful.
Goodbye Locusts, possibly Highlanders.
Some variants are getting so generic I run the same build on them and criticize the system that made them.

#17 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:01 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 25 February 2021 - 03:56 PM, said:

yeah.. like alpha you from the back ..

really, if anybody tries to keep his tier down with intent, just to farm beginners and/or avoid decent folks, that's just absurd.
I haven't played since &jarls-then&, but I think the tier-landscape and the players couldn't have changed that much since then.

basically, the biggest difference in tiers I remember is that in tier5 people cored you out from behind by accident, and in tier1 it is a dastardly-mate, doing it on purpose Posted Image*

*and rightly so most times. If you're at the point you're gonna win anyway, might as well have some fun .. Posted Image

I have spoken to multiple players on discord that say they are tier 1 on alt accounts. partially because tier 1 is so hardcore and partially because they use alt accounts to recruit newer players to units..

But having tier 1 players in tier 5s really should not be ok. its literally seal clubbing and a lot of those tier 1s are in coordinated groups again on Discord..

Edited by Samial, 25 February 2021 - 06:03 PM.

#18 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:16 PM

I'm not trying to seal club, I just like my 2erppc viper. Which is the problem. I don't want to do anything that would impact my ability to shoot people with ppcs in my viper adversely, but I need some way to cap my rank at tier 4. I guess I could get better and somehow rank up? But people said that tier 1 isn't fun. Also, I don't know if I want to dedicate time to getting better and unless they give the viper a heat dissipation quirk, I'm not sure I'll be competitive enough with it to rank up anyways.

#19 ColourfulConfetti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:21 PM

I'm told your epeen gets a little bigger the higher your tier is.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:29 PM

View PostSamial, on 25 February 2021 - 06:01 PM, said:

I have spoken to multiple players on discord that say they are tier 1 on alt accounts. partially because tier 1 is so hardcore and partially because they use alt accounts to recruit newer players to units..

But having tier 1 players in tier 5s really should not be ok. its literally seal clubbing and a lot of those tier 1s are in coordinated groups again on Discord..

Actual Tier 1 players on Alts, if they play like their Tier 1 alter ego, said players will not be Tier 5 for every long, much less Tier 4, unless they are playing really goofy builds, ie AC2 Urbie, etc, then they are not club sealing, especially if they end up in the middle of the scoring pack.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users