New To Heavies

14 replies to this topic

#1 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:42 PM

I have been playing this game since back in 2012, not right when it first came out, but pretty close. I've played lights almost exclusively until recently when i picked up a crab 27B. Its a fantastic tanky medium.

I decided to swap to a heavy, more tank, more pew, what's not to love? I swapped to the TDR-5SS and this thing twists like its got sand in its joints holy crap! is there really no way to make the heavier mechs twist faster? This is absolute misery.

Any tips would be appreciated.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:51 PM

Thunderbolts are not very good, other than the hero.

What you're looking for is one of the more mobile heavies. Good choices for this on the Clan side are the Summoner and Linebacker. For IS, try the Dragon, Rifleman, Quickdraw IV-4 (C-Bill Quickdraws are bad), Champion, or Grasshopper.

#3 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:53 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 March 2021 - 02:51 PM, said:

Thunderbolts are not very good, other than the hero.

What you're looking for is one of the more mobile heavies. Good choices for this on the Clan side are the Summoner and Linebacker. For IS, try the Dragon, Rifleman, Quickdraw IV-4 (C-Bill Quickdraws are bad), Champion, or Grasshopper.

What has the thunderbolt on the trash heap? quirks? agility?

#4 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:53 PM

Unpopular opinion but I think most Heavies are crap for this reason. Nimble Mediums are going to take pot shots at them all day long, but with that said some Heavies do have decent agility. The Linebacker comes to mind with its 6 medium pulse setup, just make sure you shield with the right side (depending on how you set your lasers up). Quick Draw is another fairly nimble Heavy, and last but not least - the Summoner. TBH I play Lights and Mediums the most, with the occasional Assault. Heavies are meh unless you have a group you can rely on.

#5 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:56 PM

View PostRelishcakes, on 13 March 2021 - 02:42 PM, said:

I have been playing this game since back in 2012, not right when it first came out, but pretty close. I've played lights almost exclusively until recently when i picked up a crab 27B. Its a fantastic tanky medium.

I decided to swap to a heavy, more tank, more pew, what's not to love? I swapped to the TDR-5SS and this thing twists like its got sand in its joints holy crap! is there really no way to make the heavier mechs twist faster? This is absolute misery.

Any tips would be appreciated.

The TDR-5SS is of below-average agility among Heavies, with a leg turn rate of 47.56 deg/sec and a torso yaw rate of 85.5 deg/sec. Maybe try a more agile Heavy instead? With engine desync, the only way you can improve a mech's agility is with the Skill Tree. You might try investing in that if you haven't already... a full investment into [Anchor Turn] and [Torso Speed] would give you 30% faster leg turn rate (so 61.828 deg/sec) and 30% faster torso yaw speed (increasing it to 111.15 deg/sec).

Are you already combining leg turning with torso twist simultaneously? If not, that's another technique to increase your effective twist speed, so that you can get to a 90-degree shielding posture faster.

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 March 2021 - 03:07 PM

View PostRelishcakes, on 13 March 2021 - 02:53 PM, said:

What has the thunderbolt on the trash heap? quirks? agility?

Hitboxes and hardpoints are below-average and agility is merely average. The quirks just aren't very good, other than the Top Dog variant which gives you a bunch of structure.

It's not the worst mech out there but it just doesn't do anything well.

#7 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 03:21 PM

If you want to acclimatize yourself to heavies, get a Catapult K2 and run 2xLB10X and 4 ERMLs. It is not a meta build, but it is an effective and forgiving build because it has good sustain and decent range on a durable chassis with good hitboxes and is low profile for a heavy. Wingman a short or mid ranged assault and you'll do fine.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,838 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:51 PM

IS heavies with good torso mobility... any Champion variant, the QuickDraw 4G, and Thanatos 4S and 4P.

that said, the heavies I personally field the most often are the Warhammer 6R for the excellent hardpoints, the Marauder 3R for the excellent hitboxes, and the Roughneck 2A for the sheer brawl factor.

#9 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:14 PM

The issue with Heavies is they are in a bad place.. They are too big, too slow and have not enough Armor in the current game.

They are as big as Assaults but have vastly less weapons to be effective..
Their armor cannot hold up like Assaults so they go down too fast.
They are vastly too slow and their poor maneuverability means they get destroyed insanely fast.

There are a few exceptions but not many really good ones.. With all the nerfs and PGI literally destroying the mechs imo the Heavies felt it the most.

Some exceptions in heavies are
Archers <---Strong
Catapults <--faster
Marauders <- good all round
Quickdraws <--- Fast and maneuverable
Warhammers (to an extent)

Ebon Jaguars <-Fast
Linebackers <- All rounder
Mad Dogs (if used right)
Hellbringers <--Strong and maneuverable
Night Gyrs (if used right)
Sunspiders <--Strong

The main reason those all do well is their maneuverability is better at getting in and out fast.. The rest imo are way to slow. My issue with Riflemen, IIC and Jagermechs is they get cored way to fast to be good.

Edited by Samial, 13 March 2021 - 07:35 PM.

#10 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:52 PM

if you loved the Crab, try an Roughneck, it has decent mobility ( maybe invest a little in the Mobility Tree) and an good Loadout with great Hardpoints.

And damm they are Tanky as Hell.

#11 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:39 PM

View PostLucky Noob, on 13 March 2021 - 07:52 PM, said:

if you loved the Crab, try an Roughneck, it has decent mobility ( maybe invest a little in the Mobility Tree) and an good Loadout with great Hardpoints.

Roughnecks have mediocre mobility stats, equal to cbill Thunderbolts (the hero is significantly more agile than the rest, and the only variant worth owning). They don't twist well at all. If you hate Thunderbolt mobility, you're not going to like Roughnecks either. Also, hitboxes are nothing special, they're pretty easy to core.

If you like something that plays more like a medium, consider Champions and Linebackers. Quickdraws are also very mobile, but don't have strong quirks (exception being the hero variant that is head and shoulders above the rest). Grasshoppers and Summoners have above average mobility too, although they tend to run less brawly builds. The current event gives you (arguably) the preferred Grasshopper variant (with -10% heat quirk).

EDIT: Would like to add that you can enter the testing grounds with any mech. Even mechs from the store you don't own. Go try them out and see how they handle.

Edited by Wattila, 14 March 2021 - 11:54 PM.

#12 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:30 AM

View PostLucky Noob, on 13 March 2021 - 07:52 PM, said:

I personally haven't found any mechs on comparison with the Crabs in MWO, nothing imo plays like them.. They kinda are in a element of their own.

I've been looking for a Crab type mech in Clan side but nothing at all plays like them, not even a linebacker.

#13 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:49 AM

View PostSamial, on 15 March 2021 - 12:30 AM, said:

I personally haven't found any mechs on comparison with the Crabs in MWO, nothing imo plays like them.. They kinda are in a element of their own.

I've been looking for a Crab type mech in Clan side but nothing at all plays like them, not even a linebacker.

LMAO if Crab had jump jets it would be right up there with the VE in being too good

#14 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:52 AM

CRB-27SL has jump jets but less interesting quirks than the other crabs. Its fine, but not stellar.

#15 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:08 AM

View PostGagis, on 15 March 2021 - 12:52 AM, said:

CRB-27SL has jump jets but less interesting quirks than the other crabs. Its fine, but not stellar.

If the better Crabs had them that would make them very strong. CRB-27 none SL version double AMS jump jets ER large or PPC versions would be a pain in the ***

Edited by SirSmokes, 15 March 2021 - 01:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users