Mw5 Needs "flashpoints"

5 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:37 AM

Story has been the biggest failure of MW5 -- aside from being made by PGI, put on an epic-deal, and during the exclusivity failed as a game and barely have anything but is only held up by mods, missed the Dec-10 release for other platforms, and paywalls the DLC that were supposed to fix things.

I think, they should follow the Flashpoints of BattleTech by HBS. These are short-stories, and to an extent I think it's the 7 new missions -- but seriously just the 7? In HBS there's a lot of them, and with BTA, there's purple ones where you can fight with an allied faction to own a system. And I think that's neat.

Look back at MW4: Mercs, what you see is a game though not as technologically advance, it is brimming with character and story; the chance to do a public service probono in Styk, to be ambushed and trapped in Merc Alley; be a Solaris IIV Gladiator with your successes hosted by Duncan Fisher; a chance to be courteous to a rival mercenaries by letting them leave when their objective has failed; the trial of possession with the Jade Falcons and earn a bondsman or just ambush them because **** the clan culture; the trial of position to join the clan-wolf.

Do you know what is significant to the MW4 stories? That you have a choice, and your choices most likely affect the stories within systems. MW4: Mercs is quite literally better at being BattleTech than MW5.

MW5 needs:
> System-Exclusive stories and missions
> Faction-Based which certain completed mission will make other missions unavailable.
> Losing a mission doesn't stop the story, but puts it on a different direction.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 15 March 2021 - 01:03 AM.

#2 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:36 AM

Story is not MW5s biggest failure. Really PGI just rehashed possibly the best MW story but no one seems to have realized it, guess a lot of you never played that one.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:19 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 16 March 2021 - 08:36 AM, said:

Story is not MW5s biggest failure. Really PGI just rehashed possibly the best MW story but no one seems to have realized it, guess a lot of you never played that one.

I don't see why that's not a failure.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 16 March 2021 - 02:19 PM.

#4 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:26 PM

Because last I saw, that story was rated the highest.

MW2, MW2 Mercs, MW3, MW4, MW4 Mercs were usually linear. Do Mission A, finish now Mission B, finish now C, etc. etc. Sometimes you might get a branch where win or lose a battle determines which of 2 is your next fight but mainly linear story going through most of the same Missions.

MW1, HBS Battletech and now MW5 give you some story with time in between the story fights to do what you want. Some players like this in their games especially single player ones, it can actually increase replayability for them. I saw the same thing discussed a lot in RPGs where you make your own adventures to share with communities like NWN1 and NWN2.

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:16 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 16 March 2021 - 07:26 PM, said:

Because last I saw, that story was rated the highest.

Why would it get any points by being a copycat?

View PostWildstreak, on 16 March 2021 - 07:26 PM, said:

MW2, MW2 Mercs, MW3, MW4, MW4 Mercs were usually linear. Do Mission A, finish now Mission B, finish now C, etc. etc. Sometimes you might get a branch where win or lose a battle determines which of 2 is your next fight but mainly linear story going through most of the same Missions.

MW1, HBS Battletech and now MW5 give you some story with time in between the story fights to do what you want. Some players like this in their games especially single player ones, it can actually increase replayability for them. I saw the same thing discussed a lot in RPGs where you make your own adventures to share with communities like NWN1 and NWN2.

What.

So MW5's story is good because you don't have to deal with it? How does that work? It's like Harry Potter is good, because of other stories unrelated to it, and you don't have to read it.

That's not story telling, that's world building -- you can make it a case of good implementation in the game, but it's not good story. Then again, MW5's world building isn't good, MW4 is arguably more battletech than MW5's meaningless generic missions.

Granted, replayability, but it's not story. You also don't have to lose the replayability with generic missions, by having basically Flashpoints for MW5.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 16 March 2021 - 08:24 PM.

#6 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:27 AM

Go ask other game communities, there are plenty of people who do not like linear stories. Some linear sure but forced down a storyline the whole time no.

I will admit though I was off on MW2 Mercs, it had some variation to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users