Lrm Advice

50 replies to this topic

#1 Chrisie10101

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:06 PM

Hello fellow mechwarriors! I recently started playing this game and after some testing with multiple mechtypes i have grown quite fond of LRM's. Me and a couple friends are thinking of trying grouping up with multiple lrm mechs and would like some advice on what the best setups for such a group would be. Thanks in advance :)

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:26 PM

Put lasers, a BUNCH of lasers that you have to force yourself to get your own locks. LRMs can IDF but they are purposefully bad at it, they are best employed when using it with your own locks.

I personally use TBR 2x LRM20A + 6x ERML, because I can poke heavily with laser, with LRMs cherry on top.

Alternatively, you can assemble an LRM battery, but with a couple of spotters.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 02 March 2021 - 09:27 PM.

#3 Stormpaw

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:33 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 02 March 2021 - 09:26 PM, said:

Alternatively, you can assemble an LRM battery, but with a couple of spotters.

that seems like really solid and fun gameplay, but in the quickplay que you can only have groups of 4, it doesn't seem wise to lose a mech to just do spotting, do you have any advice for running 4 lrms mechs in the que?

#4 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:14 PM

View PostStormpaw, on 02 March 2021 - 09:33 PM, said:

that seems like really solid and fun gameplay, but in the quickplay que you can only have groups of 4, it doesn't seem wise to lose a mech to just do spotting, do you have any advice for running 4 lrms mechs in the que?

But spotting is where your lurm boats will be able to fully maximize their spam. A good raven pilot is going to not only keep a target lit but narc and tag it so your deluge of missiles from the other three mechs will quickly turn it into scrap. Much better to have three lurm boats that can shoot all the time from anywhere vs four that will rely on facetime locks. Of course you can do it a bit different with the 'spotter' being in a heavy or assault mech with lurm spam and the armor to be able to face time.

Edit: Here is a good lance that can melt targets fast with lurm spam but doesn't take up critical heavy and assault slots on your team.

Spotter.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...bdb94fc59c8a438

Lurm spammers.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...199d6e8d34eff1b

Edited by Meep Meep, 02 March 2021 - 10:24 PM.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:25 PM

View PostChrisie10101, on 02 March 2021 - 09:06 PM, said:

Hello fellow mechwarriors! I recently started playing this game and after some testing with multiple mechtypes i have grown quite fond of LRM's.

There goes another one who had such a bright future ahead of them...

#6 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:21 AM

View PostStormpaw, on 02 March 2021 - 09:33 PM, said:

Like I said, bring a laser-boat with LRMs.

Don't bring 4 lrm-boats without other primary weapons. That is not helpful to your team who hasn't consented to spotting for you.

#7 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:34 AM

Is this the same player making multiple threads about the same topic?
https://mwomercs.com...ow-to-lrm-4man/

Note than 6thMessengers TBR is a bad lurm mech. Don't do it. Go all in instead with something good like TBT-7M or AWS-9R. The lasers will just reduce your optimal DPS output, TBR is a bad chassis for any loadout, and Clan LRM are significantly worse than IS LRM.

#8 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:54 AM

View PostGagis, on 03 March 2021 - 12:34 AM, said:

Clan LRM are significantly worse than IS LRM.

I have yet to see anyone actually present this case with anything more than an opinion at least as far as quick play is concerned. Organized play uses a different meta and lrm usually isn't part of it regardless of what faction lrm you are using. I boat both IS and clan lrm and in pubs both work about as well as the other. The clan bonus is that you don't have to use a specialized heavy or assault to lrm spam and do it on every class even lights.

#9 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:00 AM

The Cylops-10-Q with 7 x LRM10 is a surprisingly terrible thing to drop in that performs as you would expect an assault LRM boat to. Which is to say that you could undoubtedly find yourself the 4th best assault pilot. Ever.

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:13 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 03 March 2021 - 12:54 AM, said:

View PostGagis, on 03 March 2021 - 12:34 AM, said:

Note than 6thMessengers TBR is a bad lurm mech. Don't do it. Go all in instead with something good like TBT-7M or AWS-9R. The lasers will just reduce your optimal DPS output, TBR is a bad chassis for any loadout, and Clan LRM are significantly worse than IS LRM.

I have yet to see anyone actually present this case with anything more than an opinion at least as far as quick play is concerned. Organized play uses a different meta and lrm usually isn't part of it regardless of what faction lrm you are using. I boat both IS and clan lrm and in pubs both work about as well as the other. The clan bonus is that you don't have to use a specialized heavy or assault to lrm spam and do it on every class even lights.

Exactly. IS LRMs for all of it superior lurming, you can lurm however you want with Clans.

The point of my TBR is that you don't gimp yourself by bringing nothing but LRMs, you have direct-fire ---an array of lasers to put damage downrange. Say what you will about reduced sustained DPS, at least I can focus 39 damage on a single component while I get my own locks.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 03 March 2021 - 03:20 AM.

#11 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:41 AM

I personally like trebuchets. but i seldom lurm i feel dirty afterwards.

Usually only in missile events etc.

Edited by Samial, 03 March 2021 - 02:42 AM.

#12 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:53 AM

View PostChrisie10101, on 02 March 2021 - 09:06 PM, said:

Hello fellow mechwarriors! I recently started playing this game and after some testing with multiple mechtypes i have grown quite fond of LRM's. Me and a couple friends are thinking of trying grouping up with multiple lrm mechs and would like some advice on what the best setups for such a group would be. Thanks in advance Posted Image

Hey Chrisie,

first of all: welcome to MWO! Always a good thing to have fresh blood / groups join the battlefield. While these forums are a decent source of advice and a lot of veterans try to lend a hand whenever they can, I'd advice to check on the plethora of tutorial-videos on youtube that promote / tutor some of the several playstyles MWO offers. Furthermore there are several Discord- and Teamspeak-Servers to group up, discuss or simply socialize with other people playing MWO. This game has a somewhat steep learning curve, keep this in mind and don't become frustrated too soon. The community is pretty helpful, so do not hesitate to reach out for a hand or two once this game starts throwing FLPPD in your face.

Regarding your question: Fun comes first! So play what you wanna play, but keep in mind this game is a 12v12 PVP-ArenaSimShooter. So no matter how good you or your group of friends are, there are still 8 other teammates to rely on/that rely on you and will determine the mutual fun this game is able to provide for you.

While coordinated (at least to some extent) actions ain't necessarily the rule in lower experience-tiers (especially in Quickplay), you are likely gonna face some "roadblocks" with tactics / habits that work in the beginning once ye start rising in experience-tiers. And while LRM-orientied builds can be fun and wreak havoc even in higher experience tiers as long as you are grouped or supported by your team, they often do not fare too well in the to some extent random composition of players, builds and actions you will be confronted with in Quickplay.

Funny as it may sound in this regard, but MWO not incorporating respawn-mechanics like most modern shooters do, implies a much heavier focus on ressource elements (your teams armor, internal structure and damage-output capability). So sharing the defensive ressources armor and internals while being able to keep your teams damage-capabilities up as long as possible while using them as efficient as possible is the way to go.

LRM-orientied builds - or to be more specific: their indirect fire capability - often lure new players into a passive backwater style of play by sitting in the background, waiting for lock ons and lopping volley after volley of missiles onto the targets. Sounds quite relaxing, not? The problem is, your LRMs - to be more specific: those missiles of your volley that do not get eaten by Anti Missile Systems or are blocked by terrain etc. pp. - spread all over the targets defensive ressources (armor/internal structure), so it takes a lot of time to kill your opponent or at least to strip him of his offensive capabilities.

Furthermore placing yourself far off your team because your weapon system allows for it, strips your own team of your mechs defensive capabilities by not being a target to be shot on (sounds odd, eh?) and therefore not being able to share your armor and internal structure. That is why LRM-orientied builds / players generally have a bad reputation, since low-tier games made them internalise the habit to stay back and exclude themselves from the ressource trade. And in this regard we have not even taken fast light mechs / wolf packs into account that can easily dash into your position, underrun your LRMs minimum range and feast on you afterwards - sounds like another reason not to single yourself or your group out too much).

So I'd generally advice not to focus on one mech-/role-type too much. Do not get me wrong: you can still and should run LRM-builds / groups with success if you want to. But please stay with your team and get your own locks if possible, since this allows to share your ressources. Once ye get more accustomed to certain maps and their power positions, LRM-builds can be utilized even more (as can other builds and different moving patterns).

Anyhow => long story short: have fun, bring friends and talk with people! Rest will work out over time.

See you on the battlefield!

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 03 March 2021 - 05:50 AM.

#13 Chrisie10101

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys :) we're having a blast thus far

#14 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:09 PM

Be that a fake account or not, even if only one "real newcomer" is able to thrive based on such basic advice or if he at least stays with this game a little longer, it is a win for MWO.

#15 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:54 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 03 March 2021 - 12:54 AM, said:

I have yet to see anyone actually present this case with anything more than an opinion at least as far as quick play is concerned.

IS fires in clusters while CLRM fires in streams. AMS has an easier time shooting down a stream of missiles rather then a cluster so more missiles arrive at the target. A cluster of missiles hits at once and the damage can't be spread while a torso twist spreads a stream of missiles easily distributing the damage.

I'd say the one rule in regards to MWO damage is you want to be able to do as much damage in as tight an area in as little time as possible regardless of the weapon system.

IS LRMs do that better and more effectively then CLRMs. Having said that both can be devastating and fun to play, so its really down to preference. I use both even though I don't play LRMs too often.

#16 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 March 2021 - 03:38 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 13 March 2021 - 02:54 AM, said:

IS fires in clusters while CLRM fires in streams. AMS has an easier time shooting down a stream of missiles rather then a cluster so more missiles arrive at the target. A cluster of missiles hits at once and the damage can't be spread while a torso twist spreads a stream of missiles easily distributing the damage.

I'd say the one rule in regards to MWO damage is you want to be able to do as much damage in as tight an area in as little time as possible regardless of the weapon system.

IS LRMs do that better and more effectively then CLRMs. Having said that both can be devastating and fun to play, so its really down to preference. I use both even though I don't play LRMs too often.

My clrm with tag are mostly hitting ct or at least the center of whatever part is facing me after skill nodes are in play. IS broadsides even with tag are still so wide at the impact point at least half the missiles hit outside the ct and its much worse even with skill nodes if you don't have tag. It's true that ams has an easier time killing a stream but with all the velocity nodes you can still saturate it and get half of your salvo through if you are spamming enough at once.

Plus the main clan advantage over IS for lrm is the fact you can boat them on light and medium mechs and still pack 2200+ missiles. I find that positioning is king for clrm streams over an IS broadside and light and mediums let you far more easily apply your missiles. I'm finding that free huntsman to be one of the best lrm spam platforms I've played due to the hardpoints and mobility and jump jets. Once the hero goes on sale I'll be able to mount all four clrm15 in the high shoulder mounts and be able to easily shoot over cover and poptart much easier. Besides with mrm I don't even really bother with lrm boating on IS anymore as they are a much better option for the brawly nature of most fights.

A last consideration is how a constant stream of missiles exploding on your target will rattle the pilot and make him easier to take out vs the salvo nature of IS broadsides. A favorite tactic in the huntsman on the more open maps is to team with an aggressive light or two and help them take out a lagging assault or other mech since the constant rain of lrm distract it so much the light can more or less do what it wants. The downside of course is cramped maps like solaris city but even then the new direct fire mode with tag is flat enough to actually lrm brawl if you get a good line of fire. Still the best maps are of course polar highlands where you can just let them fly unimpeded and collect the salt in chat.

Edited by Meep Meep, 13 March 2021 - 04:13 AM.

#17 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,476 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 March 2021 - 03:54 AM

The most efficient way to build LRM groups is to have a narcer marking targets and the rest of the group maxing out volume of fire to quickly kill those marked targets, in other words pure boating.

In a 12 man in faction play you might want 2 spotters if you go all out lrms as a team.

When people try to tell you otherwise (get your own locks yadda yadda...) it's about what gameplay they like or dislike or they're trying to sound cool or whatever, not about what is actually the most powerful way to use LRMs.

Edited by Sjorpha, 13 March 2021 - 03:57 AM.

#18 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:03 AM

The 'getting your own locks' meme is more oriented to quick play were you can't really rely on your team for los tag locks. Thats why a boating jump jet mech is so useful. With tag I can poptart just enough to get a tag lock then fire as I fall and still get all my missiles in.

#19 Mal Bolge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:35 AM

View PostChrisie10101, on 03 March 2021 - 03:17 PM, said:

Thanks for all the responses guys Posted Image we're having a blast thus far

Honestly, when going for LRMs I would go for a fast and mobile mech like a medium or fast heavy. Several reasons for this. To do an impact on the match you need some heavy launchers, at least 2x LRM15s, and lights won't be able to carry that so they are out.

Second you need to move with the team and at the same time keep a distance so your missiles are effective. Also with a fast mech you can more easily harass the enemy from the rear or the flank, hopefully annoy them enough that several try to follow you, and thus dividing their forces. Jumpjets are a really important part of mobility, so make sure your mech of choice can equip them.

Finally you should never use an assault as a LRMer. Even though they can carry tons of missiles, you will most likely never get to use them for very long. They are slow and bulky and easy targets for enemy lights, and as soon as you are detected you will quickly exit the match. By choosing an assault you will also effectively remove your armor from the front by staying at range or behind, and that just hurts your team.

Given the above, I would recommend the Trebuchet TBT-7M. It is fast and agile and has some nice quirks for LRMs which will make your LRMing even more effective. Enjoy.

#20 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:30 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 13 March 2021 - 02:54 AM, said:

Yup but it way way easier to take Clan LRMs and have mass of tubes. Half the tonnage of IS launchers you can have 80 tubes for 20 tons. IS launchers start to get really good on heavy and IS assaults mechs. You can pretty much slap clan LRMs on pretty much on anything and if you can get a high number of tubes it should work. IS to really make most of their heavier launchers is the tonnage to take a lot or quirks. Also 50 IS tubes with quirks is about on the same level as 80 clan tubes. Once you start getting past 50 IS tubes is were IS LRMs really start to out shine clan LRMs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users