26 replies to this topic

#21 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 29 March 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

Terra Therma is actually an excellent map with lots of great places to fight. It dies for the gamemode's sins, thats the only reason people hate it.

first off: I agree on TT being a good map.

reasons I heard often for people not liking it however where: they can't see sh*t. seems that colourblindness (red/green?) really f*cks with some ppl on that map, and that's kinda bad.

some kind of "better vision" would certainly make the map more popular - and imo it really deserves it. such a great map, and is always getting the short end of the voting stick.

#22 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:21 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 29 March 2021 - 08:12 PM, said:

They nerfed the **** out of environmental heat like how many years ago?

Besides this is a tangent.

Rotate the objectives and make use of more of the maps.

People still stand in the lava like idiots..

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 01 April 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

first off: I agree on TT being a good map.

reasons I heard often for people not liking it however where: they can't see sh*t. seems that colourblindness (red/green?) really f*cks with some ppl on that map, and that's kinda bad.

some kind of "better vision" would certainly make the map more popular - and imo it really deserves it. such a great map, and is always getting the short end of the voting stick.

Its not colorblind its too dark alot of the community are older so eyesight is poorer and in a dark matches we cannot see crap.. Even Amstrad green screen and 50s TV black and white doesn't help.. their range is too short.

So many avoid Terra.. The heat is still annoying.

If they turned Terra into a day time ice map like Hibernal it would be used far more.

Edited by Samial, 01 April 2021 - 05:27 PM.

#23 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:00 PM

View PostSamial, on 01 April 2021 - 05:21 PM, said:

People still stand in the lava like idiots..

Its not colorblind its too dark alot of the community are older so eyesight is poorer and in a dark matches we cannot see crap.. Even Amstrad green screen and 50s TV black and white doesn't help.. their range is too short.

So many avoid Terra.. The heat is still annoying.

If they turned Terra into a day time ice map like Hibernal it would be used far more.

You are allowed to not like terra, that doesnt make it objectively a bad map. Sorry.

#24 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:18 PM

What if they put walls and trenches horizontally and vertically from the center point that mechs could not traverse of the domination pee stain wouldn't that effectively screw nascar..

View Postpbiggz, on 01 April 2021 - 06:00 PM, said:

You are allowed to not like terra, that doesnt make it objectively a bad map. Sorry.

I don't dislike the map design, i dislike the environmental issues the map throws at us.. and its not about me. If it was about me players would be using Terra Therma daily, they do not.

I personally see a terra therma match maybe once a week.. same as alpine.. and i play 5 hours a day-ish?

So its not just me apparently..

Edited by Samial, 01 April 2021 - 08:22 PM.

#25 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:13 PM

View PostSamial, on 01 April 2021 - 08:18 PM, said:

What if they put walls and trenches horizontally and vertically from the center point that mechs could not traverse of the domination pee stain wouldn't that effectively screw nascar..

I don't dislike the map design, i dislike the environmental issues the map throws at us.. and its not about me. If it was about me players would be using Terra Therma daily, they do not.

I personally see a terra therma match maybe once a week.. same as alpine.. and i play 5 hours a day-ish?

So its not just me apparently..

If you blocked off the center i think that would make nascarring worse. Without anywhere to cut across groups would just circle until one ran into the other.

You could justify making the map a little brighter. I'm of the opinion that strong environment effects should be part of the game, much more than they are now, and that you should be able to pick from a dropdeck of 4 mechs once you know what map you're playing. Can you imagine switching to a ballistic heavy/undergunned mech when you know you're going to be deployed to a hot map? vs picking a long range or hotter build when you get a cold one?

The limitations placed on us by quick play and static objectives do these maps a disservice. Though there are a few exceptions, i think many of these maps can stand toe to toe with mechwarrior 4 mercenaries' multiplayer maps, but extraneous circumstances hold them back from doing that.

#26 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:42 AM

i think drop decks for QP matches are a good idea but they need to be restricted in a way that makes it harder to exploit. i would say allow a player to create a drop deck of equal ton mechs. so say have one fore each weight class for simplicities sake. that way its easier of the MM if they ever tak groups out of it (i think having the groups is why we see so many matches that have like 5 assaults on one team and none on the other, though i could be wrong.)

the drops decks would be good for say i chose my LRM Catapult-C4 then we end up with Solaris. even if i could have a drop deck of say 2 mechs per weight class i could have one as the Cat and another as say my Warhammer so i could swap out after the map is selected so i don't feel so useless. tactically speaking i wouldn't bring my LRM support mech into such a confined space if i was able to.

#27 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:14 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 03 April 2021 - 12:42 AM, said:

i think drop decks for QP matches are a good idea but they need to be restricted in a way that makes it harder to exploit. i would say allow a player to create a drop deck of equal ton mechs. so say have one fore each weight class for simplicities sake. that way its easier of the MM if they ever tak groups out of it (i think having the groups is why we see so many matches that have like 5 assaults on one team and none on the other, though i could be wrong.)

the drops decks would be good for say i chose my LRM Catapult-C4 then we end up with Solaris. even if i could have a drop deck of say 2 mechs per weight class i could have one as the Cat and another as say my Warhammer so i could swap out after the map is selected so i don't feel so useless. tactically speaking i wouldn't bring my LRM support mech into such a confined space if i was able to.

locked by weight class seems a good option; or else locked to a tonnage range (no one mech in your deck can be more than 10 tons heavier or lighter than any other, so if you took a scarecrow (55) you could take any mechs between 45 and 65 tons, but if you took a 55 and 65 tonner, you could only take 55, 60, and 65 tonners, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users