9 replies to this topic

#1 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

So, this question exactly: What do I need (software) to be able to record MWO matches for later YouTube upload?

Theoretically I have an Nvidia card (exactly: ASUS EN9600 GT what uses Nvidia GeForce, have 512 GDR memory) but it has nothing that could help me recording (sometimes even barely help to handle the game itself, this is the first reason why I have urban maps)...

I may prefer softwares what could cooperate with MWO and need to launch and record everything just the matches I play. For XP there were such a software but that not work on 64 bit systems and have no new versions whatsoever...

#2 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

GeForce's built in stuff is REALLY easy and nice to use.
But 2 things... if I'm looking at the right GPU...
1. I'm not sure how you are even playing this game on that card.
2. Shadow play might not tax the card any more... its worth a shot.

Info here...
https://www.nvidia.c...nce/shadowplay/
or
https://www.howtogee...dia-shadowplay/

EDIT: The article does address this...
Yes, ShadowPlay Impacts Game Performance
[color=#404040]
Before we start, however, we should note: Recording with ShadowPlay will decrease your game performance by a bit. NVIDIA notes that a performance penalty of 5% is typical, while it could be 10% in more demanding games.
[/color]

#3 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:16 PM

OBS is a versatile tool: https://obsproject.com/
All recording has a performance impact though.

#4 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

OBS gets my vote, I don't notice a huge impact while recording.
Around 1gig for a 20 minute 1080 mkv, running that through handbrake cuts down the vid size a good amount to help with uploading.

Edited by Shatterpoint, 13 April 2021 - 03:48 PM.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:41 PM

With the GPU you have, you're going to have issues.

NVENC chipped GPUs from NVidia are king as there is basically no impact when you record using it when using OBS Studio (amazing tool, simple to use while very powerful).

Alas I don't believe the 9600 GT falls into that category. So as said earlier recording will impact your in-game FPS as it cannot be offloaded from the GPU.

#6 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:37 PM

I use OBS. It's free, low-impact enough that I never noticed a significant performance drop, and fairly easy to set up.

#7 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

As far as I saw none of these works with Win7 officially. I mean I gave them a try but refused to even install... To bad.

#8 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 17 May 2021 - 11:10 AM, said:

As far as I saw none of these works with Win7 officially. I mean I gave them a try but refused to even install... To bad.

Just out of random curiosity, how badly did those various programs refuse to install? :o

~D. V. "confused about your program installation woes" Devnull

#9 Arnold Judas Ace Rimmer

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:24 PM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 17 May 2021 - 11:10 AM, said:

Well, to be fair, Windows 7 is no longer a supported OS - so no software developer can offer "official" support for it any longer.

More to the point, your GPU is 12+ years old, so it follows that the rest of the system will be of a similar age - as another poster mentioned it is quite remarkable that you can run the game at all. Adding the overhead of video recording will likely end badly.

#10 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 May 2021 - 12:17 AM

OBS works on Win 7 even if it doesn't list it as supported (and you can always go through the older versions until you find one that works). If it doesn't even install for you then either you downloaded the wrong installer or there's something else wrong with your system.
What are your full system specs? Some sources claim OBS requires either an AMD FX [color=#050505]series or Intel 2000-series processor or newer, both of which launched a few years after your card.[/color]

An external capture card is an option BUT if you don't have the budget for new hardware you don't have the budget for that either

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users