50 replies to this topic

#41 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:28 PM

Honestly i don't care if its animations are wonky.. if i could kick piranhas leg humping me i'd be less stressed.

#42 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:13 AM

with Animations im thinking another Problem and most not looks good, like Mechparts glitching in and trough other Mechparts...and PGI most not make good looking Animations.

and all for a new "Invisible" as Kick or Punch animated "Gun?

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 29 April 2021 - 02:14 AM.

#43 SoulRcannon

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

I wouldn't want to see melee in MWO, the time needed to implement smoothly would be so prohibitive considering that this is a product in the late stages of it's life. Trying to get it to work in an older cryengine game, yikes, I can only imagine.

I would, however, like to see melee in MW5 one day. To elaborate, I did not say knockdowns, they're not fun. Just melee. Titanfall 2 had an interesting enough system in place, didn't seem too obstructive there. There was a quick punch animation, and execution animations if the attack was enough to destroy an enemy titan. Like the below video.

https://youtu.be/x9Z72GRdMAg

I do think there'd need to be limitations on what mechs could melee, to be fair on the number of chassis that'd need animation work to implement. Specifically, I'd limit it to mechs that have hand actuators or purpose-built melee weaponry.

But then I'd also like to see increased arm functionality implemented in MW5 too, to better distance gameplay from turret/track axes of movement in a tank simulator, because we're using mechs. This time limited to mechs with lower arm actuators, giving arms 4 potential positions (hip-fire like MWO, limp when unused like MW5, raised and shield positions) to change their orientation and demonstrate the utility of weapons and arms of mechs with lower arm actuators.

But if wishes were horses, we beggars would ride. Don't hold your breath waiting for it in MWO.

#44 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 30 April 2021 - 01:52 AM

When Melle, the Weapons from the fighting Arms must becomes Damage or destroyed ,the fragile Barrels and Guns not designed to punch against a Heavy armor with the Power of a 12m Tall Mech...The power to crash it against a Steel Wall is more as a Hit from a shell...take a M16 and crash it against a wall only with the Power of a Human.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 30 April 2021 - 01:53 AM.

#45 MrTBSC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:46 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 26 April 2021 - 04:28 PM, said:

I honestly don't see the point.

out of ammo or reaching heat limit .. it could be made in a way to be limited were the more often or frequent you do it you yourself take structure and/or armor damage ..

#46 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:41 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 28 April 2021 - 06:35 AM, said:

Actually, melee is in Battletech (game by HBS).

Including the infamous crouch kick and upper cut.

#47 0rionsbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 11:06 AM

Easy way to add knockdowns and melee is to just add a stability bar and when you get close to a mech a simple animation for melee on mechs with hands and a kick for mechs with out. you could probably code the animation to be based on skeleton files and not need a animation for each mech might look wonky on a few but work regardless. alternative is just a headbutt for all mechs. Either way the issue with knockdowns is repeat knockdowns and ease of being knocked down a stability bar resolves both making it take as long as wanted for a mech to be knocked down and preventing repeats by simply refreshing the bar once you get up and giving the ability for light mechs to take longer to do it and assaults' to be very hard to knockdown etc. I think the best benefit besides realism (battlemechs with hands make littlie sense otherwise) is for ammunition based mechs to have a way to fight after running out.

Edited by 0rionsbane, 03 December 2022 - 11:08 AM.

#48 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 01:21 PM

View Post0rionsbane, on 03 December 2022 - 11:06 AM, said:

Easy way to add knockdowns and melee is to just add a stability bar and when you get close to a mech a simple animation for melee on mechs with hands and a kick for mechs with out. you could probably code the animation to be based on skeleton files and not need a animation for each mech might look wonky on a few but work regardless. alternative is just a headbutt for all mechs. Either way the issue with knockdowns is repeat knockdowns and ease of being knocked down a stability bar resolves both making it take as long as wanted for a mech to be knocked down and preventing repeats by simply refreshing the bar once you get up and giving the ability for light mechs to take longer to do it and assaults' to be very hard to knockdown etc. I think the best benefit besides realism (battlemechs with hands make littlie sense otherwise) is for ammunition based mechs to have a way to fight after running out.

Do not hold your breath:

Piranha Games Inc. said:

Unfortunately, the Hatchetman does not have a melee ability. Melee is not a feature supported by MechWarrior Online. We are not looking to add Melee to MWO at this time.

#49 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:13 AM

View Post0rionsbane, on 03 December 2022 - 11:06 AM, said:

Not easy ...the Problem ,not Coder and Programmer for it and all the little Miracles in the Code from the Parents of the MWO Engine ,thats goes with her secrets long Time ago..thats the Problem thats Inverse Kinetics for Feets and Legs never come back

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 04 December 2022 - 12:15 AM.

#50 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:16 AM

Melee would be cool but I doubt they have any coder to get that done - or even have enough knowledge of the Frankenstein engine they use.

Also, the cry of assaults when they got back humped by a pummeling spider and killed would be epic.

On a second thought...seeing D A T A post "Fists are op and the new meta" would be actually legendary.

#51 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 03:07 AM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 04 December 2022 - 12:13 AM, said:

Not easy ...the Problem ,not Coder and Programmer for it and all the little Miracles in the Code from the Parents of the MWO Engine ,thats goes with her secrets long Time ago..thats the Problem thats Inverse Kinetics for Feets and Legs never come back

View PostWeeny Machine, on 04 December 2022 - 01:16 AM, said:

Melee would be cool but I doubt they have any coder to get that done - or even have enough knowledge of the Frankenstein engine they use.

I heard that the MWO code is such mess that you can modify one thing and something seemingly unrelated fails.

Also, the cry of assaults when they got back humped by a pummeling spider and killed would be epic.

I love doing such thing in BattleTech. Reaching through the rear armor and punching to set off the ammo bin is always fun ... albeit not for the enemy 'Mech, I am afraid. Posted Image

On a second thought...seeing D A T A post "Fists are op and the new meta" would be actually legendary.

It seems to me that everything, that does not suit his personal game style, is OP or bad.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users