1 reply to this topic

#1 Paladin357

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:37 AM

Description:
Not sure if this is really a bug or was purposeful, but apparently firing more than one laser at a time produces more than the sum of the heat if fired separately. I.e. firing one ML builds 2% heat, but when firing 2 ML it builds 8% heat. Heat scale limit has not been reached.

This does not happen (or at least is not as noticeable) with other weapon types. 1 AC10 produced 2%, 2 produced 5%. 2 AC5s produced 4%, 4 produced 9%. Similar results with SRMs. Also, if firing missiles, ballistics, or PPCs with lasers, the heat produced was roughly equal to the sum when the two weapon groups were fired separately. I.e. 1 AC20 = 4%, 4 ML = 16%, 1 AC20 + 4ML = 21%.

I spent about an hour going through different mechs, IS and Clan, different weapon types, and different maps, and all produced the same effect.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Equip any mech with more than 1 laser of any type (eg 2 medium lasers; 1 sl and 1 ml, etc.)
2. Take mech to testing ground
3. Fire one or more, but not all, lasers, and record heat buildup.
4. Let heat bar fall to 0.
5. Fire twice as many lasers as before and record heat.
6. Heat from step #5 is more than 2x that of step #4.

Reproduction Rate: 100%

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 13 May 2021 - 02:27 AM

I am sorry to have to post this in return, Paladin357, but what you're seeing is...

NOT A BUG

...and I can confirm is correct design, both because of Thermodynamic Laws, and because of the fact that the Heat Sinks can logically only cool off one Weapon's produced Heat at a time. All the rest of it MUST wait in the Heat Containment of the Coolant System on a Mech before it can be dissipated, as it's only the first Weapon which is fired that gets immediate cooling. Just watch what happens when you go from 1 to 2 to 4 to 6 to 8 Weapons fired, as it's an interesting curve. :(

~D. V. "The additional Heat which you see is actually normal function & operation that's reflected in game design." Devnull

[Quick Edits by the Post Author for minor typing & minor formatting errors... Oops!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 13 May 2021 - 02:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users