Pgi: Can We Please Have An Answer To This.... It Seriously Needs To Be Addressed

56 replies to this topic

#41 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:14 PM

View PostDionnsai, on 15 May 2021 - 05:46 AM, said:

Like previously mentioned, this PSR system is not intended to be a rewards system, but instead is intended to be a matchmaker to match you against similarly skilled opponents. It's not perfect, but if you play at the level you linked in your post and you win more matches than you lose, you will rise on balance.

The previous PSR system was definitely a rewards system or XP bar that patted players on the back to give them feelsgood regardless of whether they performed well or not.

Many comment.
Many talk.
Many play.
Many prove.

Very little understand.
Very little can accept.

About sums it up when the formula is publicly disclosed.

#42 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

PSR isn't really the issue for me.

It's how playing lights tends to tank your average MS unless you deliberately farm damage instead of playing to win.

#43 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:24 PM

View PostCapt Deadpool, on 14 May 2021 - 12:52 PM, said:

You are not wrong, Ash. But I think you and Darian are talking past each other a little bit.

Not at all.

PSR up or down is a clearly defined metric. A metric the OP very clearly does not understand despite plenty of information being available.

Comes back to what I said earlier with regard to expectation vs reality.

#44 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 14 May 2021 - 05:19 AM, said:

I could care less what Tier I am in, I know my strengths I know my weaknesses, I get one shotted just like every other light one moment, and I deal out an *** whoopin the next. Been in this game since closed beta, i could care less about Tiers, they truly mean nothing. However to newer players it is something to "achieve". Kinda hard to do it as easily in a light vs an assault.

If you don't care about your tier and PSR then why are you posting about it? If you didn't, you'd go "huh I got a down arrow for that? Okay" and move on.

#45 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:20 PM

I just ignore it. If I'm having fun i'll keep playing. If I'm not I'll go play other games. I haven't installed mwo in about a half year.

#46 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,228 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:40 PM

The previous PSR system was definitely a rewards system or XP bar that patted players on the back to give them feelsgood regardless of whether they performed well or not.

Paul Inouye admitted once that the primary purpose of the old PSR was just to keep the new players separated.

#47 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:13 PM

Who cares really? Just play the game. What difference does it make what tier you are.

View PostJediPanther, on 15 May 2021 - 01:20 PM, said:

I just ignore it. If I'm having fun i'll keep playing. If I'm not I'll go play other games. I haven't installed mwo in about a half year.

Why you making comments inthe forums then if you don't even play it. I haven't played since 2017, I just came back. You can bet I wasn't in here commenting either.

#48 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:36 AM

View PostCapt Deadpool, on 15 May 2021 - 12:02 PM, said:

There really should be a separate 'grind bar' that people can grind for feel goods and e-peen stuff to distract from PSR, and which could help retain players like other games utilize. Every 25 levels or so you get a 0.5% increase in cbill generation or a % greater chance at quantity or quality of supply cache or something.

And rename the current PSR tiers to something more arbitrary and not psychologically triggering without the word 'tier' or numbers like: 'Matchmaker Group Red/Yellow/Blue/Green/Orange'. And name the grindy bar something with greater psychological associations with power/achievement: 'Warrior Expertise Tier 583' or 'Battle Prowess Rank 872'

It sounds silly, but really most of the things in life and culture that make people feel either good or bad about themselves are very silly, like how good they are at an online stompy robot game XD

Well, we have the Supply Cache Bar for that, since they reworked the system.

#49 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:21 AM

Like previously mentioned, this PSR system is not intended to be a rewards system, but instead is intended to be a matchmaker to match you against similarly skilled opponents. It's not perfect, but if you play at the level you linked in your post and you win more matches than you lose, you will rise on balance.

Bold emphasis.
Current PSR actually rewards for bringing a fire hose with a wide cone attachment to a water pistol fight with the option to capture a flag that you get no points for.
Hose = little skill, high damage
Pistol = low damage but skill needed.

View PostMonke-, on 15 May 2021 - 12:39 PM, said:

If you don't care about your tier and PSR then why are you posting about it? If you didn't, you'd go "huh I got a down arrow for that? Okay" and move on.

So you think all gamers are selfish only caring about their own individual selves.
Not gamed much have you.

View Postlsp, on 16 May 2021 - 10:13 PM, said:

Why you making comments inthe forums then if you don't even play it. I haven't played since 2017, I just came back. You can bet I wasn't in here commenting either.

Why do you care if someone comments when they are not playing?

#50 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:26 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 17 May 2021 - 04:21 AM, said:

So you think all gamers are selfish only caring about their own individual selves.
Not gamed much have you.

If he was trying to bring up an issue that is supposedly impacting the entire playerbase then why does he seem indignant over it in the OP?

#51 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:46 AM

It is very simple, green arrow up is the reward, red arrow down is punishment. It is natural to think of them in such a way.

Had no problem in going up to tier 1 again after the changes last year. I was reluctant, but to do so, I have to stop playing most mechs, especially lights. I had to focus on 1 or 2 chassis that can dish out enough damage in the case my team dies for playing stupid,as is often the case, so I can achieve that.

The current event made me drop about 1/3 down tier 1 line while trying to get all those event mini games and stuff.

#52 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:34 PM

The UI should at least indicate how much you moved, but they didn't rewrite the UI when they did the PSR change. Could be as simple as 3 sizes of arrows up and down and =.

#53 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

View Postlsp, on 16 May 2021 - 10:13 PM, said:

Who cares really? Just play the game. What difference does it make what tier you are.

Because all the mechs I prefer to play are crap even within their own weight class and I refuse to let all the time and money spent over the past seven years go to waste. I have nearly all the light mechs and light mech heroes and they can't even compete with a few mechs fifteen tons lighter than them since I don't go for the best possible meta. While on "meta" you can't even break 20 alpha with some of them due to very low hard point count or location. The prime example is spider 5v.

As for any can't pilot them bs I got ace of spades in a locust and was commonly well known for either always using the jenner or catapult before the lcts replaced them.\

why the **** you do post here?

Edited by JediPanther, 17 May 2021 - 03:46 PM.

#54 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:40 PM

What is the problem here? You lost and there are four other pilots with higher match scores on your team. On average the top eight on the winning team will go up and the top four on the losing team will go up. the rest will not move or go down.

PSR calculation is working fine.

#55 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:54 PM

Posted Image

#56 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:45 PM

View PostMonke-, on 17 May 2021 - 04:26 AM, said:

If he was trying to bring up an issue that is supposedly impacting the entire playerbase then why does he seem indignant over it in the OP?

Your question makes no sense.

I do know the following for facts.

1 - Whatever I experience, I know are similar to others including those who care or used to care but gave up about Tier / PSR.

2 - I can take a good Mech like a Mad Cat MkII or a full on PPFLD loadout Mech, something high skilled players brag about. I can kill a lance or more yet sometimes I get Red Arrows.

3 - Meanwhile I can take something like MRM60 + Lasers Awesome or Stalker with 6LLs / 4LPLs / 4Snubs do double the Meta Mech in damage or more, kill only 1 thing but always Green Arrows and usually in top 3 of damage on team.

Conclusion - PSR rewards you for using a fire hose in a water pistol fight thus no skill required, just splash lots of damage around and you rank up.

Edited by Wildstreak, 18 May 2021 - 04:23 PM.

#57 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:12 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 18 May 2021 - 12:45 PM, said:

2 - I can take a good Mech like a Mad Cat MkII or a full on PPFLD loadout Mech, something high skilled players brag about. I can kill a lance or more yet sometimes I get Red Arrows.

Okay, as someone who likes lights, and has more'n a few matches where me an a pirahna face off, leaving me legged but victorious, and easy pickings for the next mechwarriors (Seriously, 85 damage one match with a solo kill on a piranha at start.) I can tell you that taking out a lance on your own is enough to keep your PSR if not raise it. There's only so many mechs to go around. Sure, you might be assassinating and coring out mechs from behind, but that leaves less damage for the rest of your team to farm, giving you a relatively high match score.

Unless you're only talking about swooping in to secure a kill after all the work has been done, in which case, yeah, put more damage downrange and help out. I love getting mechs on the firing line to turn their backs and get cored out by my team as much as the next light, but you gotta put some damage on 'em to get their attention.

View PostWildstreak, on 18 May 2021 - 12:45 PM, said:

Conclusion - PSR rewards you for using a fire hose in a water pistol fight thus no skill required, just splash lots of damage around and you rank up.

This is actually incorrect, because if you just face tank and spray, you'll died alot, getting less damage in. However, if you can master positioning and tactics, and just happen to be a poor shot, spraying tonnes of damage out there whilst surviving is, in fact, rewarded by the PSR system.

But survival can be hard. Especially when you've poor aim to secure kills to keep less fire from coming downrange.

I wholeheartedly approve of such mechwarriors raising their PSR. I just wish so many learned to be a bit more aggressive rather'n defensive. I feel too many pugs lean to far towards survival to their own detriment. Nothing like dying four mechs up, expecting to see an easy victory only to realize that only a few mechwarriors are actually working the enemy and are getting overrun whilst the rest are hiding trying to out snipe one poptart and their friendly missile boat.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 18 May 2021 - 01:14 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users