Mw5 Complaint

15 replies to this topic

#1 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:36 PM

not sure if this right place to do so, but anyhow why the hell do need to complete against a whole freaking army with a single lance?.

personally i find most Mech warrior games being more stressful then relaxing
this same crap also apply to Battletech (i know not made by Pgi)

so what can Pgi do?.
they can adjust the amount of enemy's MW5 have by difficulty level or something
i have no interest in facing 30 light mechs in a heavy mech

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:40 PM

View PostAbisha, on 14 May 2021 - 11:36 PM, said:

not sure if this right place to do so, but anyhow why the hell do need to complete against a whole freaking army with a single lance?.

personally i find most Mech warrior games being more stressful then relaxing
this same crap also apply to Battletech (i know not made by Pgi)

so what can Pgi do?.
they can adjust the amount of enemy's MW5 have by difficulty level or something
i have no interest in facing 30 light mechs in a heavy mech

This is the right place: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:56 AM

MW5 AI is stupid, both enemy and ally. A 1v1 or lance v lance wouldn't be as challenging. That being said it's still pretty dumb.

This also results in the game invalidating most lighter classes eventually, if not because of the artificial tonnage restrictions. The game becomes tanking damage and dishing most damage -- because repairs and weapon replacement are expensive.

#4 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:07 AM

It is like this in a lot of games for YEARS.
AI cannot do some things players can so they compensate including by throwing larger forces against you.

#5 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:45 PM

well that or making them bullet sponges, haven't played MW5 yet but i do play HBS Battletech now and again. that one isn't to bad, you rarely fight more than 2-1 odds (it only becomes a problem when that backup lance spawns in behind you or to your flank. well that or both are groups up together) (there are some mods that let you bring 2 lances into a match but it doesn't work on the story missions)

#6 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:50 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 15 May 2021 - 10:45 PM, said:

well that or making them bullet sponges, haven't played MW5 yet but i do play HBS Battletech now and again. that one isn't to bad, you rarely fight more than 2-1 odds (it only becomes a problem when that backup lance spawns in behind you or to your flank. well that or both are groups up together) (there are some mods that let you bring 2 lances into a match but it doesn't work on the story missions)

thing is with MW5 you fight so many mechs your mech will get damaged and then you need to repair ect also it adds the chance of your weapons being destroyed and also need replacement.

so if you have rare or uncommon weapons they lost

#7 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:22 PM

yeah i'v seem some gameplay (actually thought of getting it before they made it crapic exclusive.) now even with the lowered price i will wait for a Steam sale (or if i get really bored and have some extra cash, the first is a regular occurrence but the second almost never happens)

still i hear with certain mods its a very enjoyable game. not sure if the DLC will fix the core game's problems though.

also i think one of the reasons they often put you up against such odds in games is to make you feel Bad ***, like you are some elite prodigy mechwarrior in the case of MW5

#8 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:49 PM

So, the trick is to play tactical. If a team mate gets their armour stripped you can tell 'em to "go here" outta the fight and then pull back. When I do multi-missions I'll sometimes drop solo in a firestarter for a 'base destruction' mid mission repair letting the light get fairly wrecked whilst I use that time to get my main mechs back in shape for the next mission. You can just ignore all the actual mechs destroy the base and pull out. Mission success, no need to stick around, fast enough to get out alive.

~Leone.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:11 PM

I bought it when it came out. I never finished the campaign game. Fighting waves and waves of enemies just didn’t seem genre to me.

#10 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:20 PM

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:33 PM

too much respawn. sometimes you just want to clear a map and on most modes thats impossible. or you have to rush the objectives just to have a chance of beating the mission, and you hardly fight any mechs in those games.

#12 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 May 2021 - 05:31 AM

MechWarrior 4 had levels of difficulty. Recruit, MechWarrior, Elite, Ace. I think. In the scripting it showed up as the value GetMyWimpy_0, _1,_2,_3. And you set up the missions so mechs and tanks would be removed on mission start depending on the player's GetMyWimpy level. So a Recruit might face mechs that were never more than Regular, while an Ace player would face more Elite level AI's. Recruits could also be supplied with Allied mechs in the same way.

Now the best MechWarrior missions have set objectives that can be completed in a tactical order or by improvised order, but they allow the completion of the main objective without losing half your command. The mission script will pit you against area defenders and a few roaming patrols that may be linked by radio. Trigger too many radio linked groups and things get more difficult maybe. So you follow the Nav points in a Search and Destroy tactic. As you play this mission it should make logical sense that you are doing it right or messing it up.

In MW5 you get swarmed too often or it feels that way. I remember players saying the videos of the pre-beta battles looked too easy and thinking to myself, uh-oh, because MechWarrior can easily become very difficult, very fast.

#13 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:36 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 15 May 2021 - 05:07 AM, said:

It is like this in a lot of games for YEARS.
AI cannot do some things players can so they compensate including by throwing larger forces against you.

This is what I couldnt understand for the longest time, well I thought that there shouldnt be a problem to code in : ifs then do this or that and when not do this and that, command links for the A. I.
Easy on paper but good grief, to make it all work in ALL circumstances on a chaotic battlefield. Not excusing PGI here.
To be fair, the A. I in any MW game have been.... stupid compared to what WE as human players would want.

i figure the " stupid " part comes to actual hiccups, pathfinding problems and not taking orders well. Add assassin spawning vehicles ( did they fix that ? ) on top of that. The friendly A. I seems stupid and the nemy A. I cheeting, cheeky, cheesers.

I just hope STEAM workshop will be up and running shortly after the release.

I waNt the HUD mods that Phil over at NGNG showcased. Those looked awesome! For MW5 I want as much immersion as possible without going full hotas, rumble seats and 3 x giant monitors surrounding me, or a curved one, hah!
Also if not fixed, I want mods to cleanse, improve and make the A. I smarter, more adaptable.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 07:01 PM

i think this is less a problem with ai than a problem with spawn mechanics. yes the ai is very stupid. getting mechs to follow orders is impossible and the enemy make zero use of tactics. but that just means the enemy paths and fights bad.

the problem is that they are constantly dropping a seemingly unlimited number of dropships and mechs on your position. for the drop ship mechanics, maybe do a thing where if you target the ship and order your team to shoot it, it might re-direct to a different drop zone because it is "too hot". this buys you time to deal with the current situation. if a limited number of drop ships are used, then perhaps make their damage persistent. shoot out engines to slow down the reinforcements. destroying a drop ship, which would take it out of the mission area might make other drops in that mission zone easier.

having vehicles instantly spawn on top of you is pretty bad too. the fact that they just teleport in is lazy. seems they should have a drop pod or something. having them come in from off map or out of a hanger would also work. the hanger would allow you to destroy something to take ground or air vehicles off the board.

#15 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 07:43 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 15 May 2021 - 10:45 PM, said:

HBS one is not too bad, sure AI will damage buildings but not in a way that harms your mission objectives while MW5 AI will.

View PostLordNothing, on 23 May 2021 - 07:01 PM, said:

i think this is less a problem with ai than a problem with spawn mechanics

No it is AI, consider previous MW titles. I did MW1, 2, GB and 2 Mercs all the way through plus both MCs and even the 2 Crescent Hawk titles, they never really threw a lot against you. Some also did interesting things.

Not owned MW5 yet but what I see so far is a mixed bag with the AI being really bad, this at a time when some in the industry are really pushing for more people to learn how to code AIs and other games trying to improve their AIs leaving me thinking there is a shortage of good AI programmers.

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 09:02 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 23 May 2021 - 07:43 PM, said:

No it is AI, consider previous MW titles. I did MW1, 2, GB and 2 Mercs all the way through plus both MCs and even the 2 Crescent Hawk titles, they never really threw a lot against you. Some also did interesting things.

Not owned MW5 yet but what I see so far is a mixed bag with the AI being really bad, this at a time when some in the industry are really pushing for more people to learn how to code AIs and other games trying to improve their AIs leaving me thinking there is a shortage of good AI programmers.

as somone who has actually played the game, its kind of both. but if i had to chose which to fix first, it would be the spawn mechanics. ai can be stupid as hell and still provide good game play. ai just needs a couple bug fixes, a couple fallback modes when the decision tree cannot be traversed when an unforseen hangup occurs. like backtrack a few tens of meters in a random direction and re-evaluate the tree. games are no longer developed by programmers, and are rather developed in an editor by someone at a much lower skill level and pay grade.

as for ai accelerators, give it a few years and you will see it on a gpu near you.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 May 2021 - 09:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users