40 replies to this topic

#1 x Deathstrike x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:39 PM

https://mwomercs.com/warden

Timber seems useable even with So8 e.g. with 2xLPL 5xML
Will be interesting what the So8 quirks will be.

Dire with ECM and one JJ CT. Wow... all the Dire ever needed.

REALLY looking forward to the Timber! Posted Image

Only sad thing is they are released 20th July and I hoped for next week Posted Image

Edited by x Deathstrike x, 14 May 2021 - 03:49 PM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:47 PM

This looks great.

ECM Dire? Take my money.

Whoever came up with the ideas - well done!

#3 x Deathstrike x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:59 PM

After a bit of thinking while I REALLY appreciate the Timber slots which is even useable with So8 both feel sliiiightly P2W if you ask me. Compared to the mediocre IS heavies, these two really bring something new to the battlefield.
Timber with ECM will be powerfull and Dire with ECM and one JJ in CT even more.

#4 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:01 PM

Are those "enhanced imaging" skins?

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:03 PM

View Postx Deathstrike x, on 14 May 2021 - 03:59 PM, said:

After a bit of thinking while I REALLY appreciate the Timber slots which is even useable with So8 both feel sliiiightly P2W if you ask me. Compared to the mediocre IS heavies, these two really bring something new to the battlefield.

The HBR is still probably going to be a better ECM laser boat than the TBR-BH. P2W is unlikely, especially given that ECM is heavily nerfed from its old Magic Jesus Box glory.

Ultimately, these are competent choices but I'm starting to feel like ECM is being used as a crutch for "uniqueness" rather than trying to look for new weapon hardpoint offerings. These booster packs are just one big ECM fest.

Also, I don't like to use super slow assaults regardless of how good they might be so I'll pass on this one (would be nice if the variants were sold separately).

Edited by FupDup, 14 May 2021 - 04:03 PM.

#6 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:05 PM

I see they learned, put ECM on both and they can both use JJs only missing MASC. Posted Image

2xLPL? Why not 3?

View PostFunky Bacon, on 14 May 2021 - 04:01 PM, said:

Are those "enhanced imaging" skins?

They took them from the cartoon. Posted Image

#7 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:07 PM

Elemental bolt ons!? I may hafta actually look into bolt ons now.

~Leone.

#8 x Deathstrike x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 May 2021 - 04:03 PM, said:

The HBR is still probably going to be a better ECM laser boat than the TBR-BH. P2W is unlikely, especially given that ECM is heavily nerfed from its old Magic Jesus Box glory.

Well, I know you mean the HBR still has better hit boxes, but the TImber will have much better cooling efficiency with 25 DHS.
Also if the So8 provide anything it's just another small add on. And if there are no So8 bonuses, then more reason to combine it with other pods.

With Cauldron Agility changes Timber will be even more agile than HBR.
So I would say this Timber could be en-par with the HBR.

I only consider it slightly P2W on these variants because while ECM does not provide that much
of a bonus any more it still helps keep you safe and for 1 ton the investment is always possible.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:12 PM

Nah not P2W I don't think. If you think forward to the Cauldron proposed quirk pass (hopefully it's ready soon) it should make a lot more sense, if that makes sense?

DWF was also the most voted for (back when it was being done) in terms of what people wanted to be there for the Clan choice. Makes sense it should be there.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:13 PM

View Postx Deathstrike x, on 14 May 2021 - 04:09 PM, said:

Well, I know you mean the HBR still has better hit boxes, but the TImber will have much better cooling efficiency with 25 DHS.
Also if the So8 provide anything it's just another small add on. And if there are no So8 bonuses, then more reason to combine it with other pods.

With Cauldron Agility changes Timber will be even more agile than HBR.
So I would say this Timber could be en-par with the HBR.

I only consider it slightly P2W on these variants because while ECM does not provide that much
of a bonus any more it still helps keep you safe and for 1 ton the investment is always possible.

The HBR can get a -10% energy heat quirk if you either use the Virago with 8/8 pods or by using the HBR-F left torso pod. That's gonna most likely close any heat efficiency gaps between the two. Besides hitboxes, the HBR's torso mounts are vastly superior to the TBR's because they're higher and tighter clustered.

For ECM, it doesn't do you much good unless you spend a bunch of skill points in the sensor tree, which means you have fewer points to spend on things like heat efficiency (this does also apply to the HBR if you use ECM on it). On a mech with entirely energy hardpoints, you need all the cooling you can get.

#11 x Deathstrike x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:21 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 May 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

The HBR can get a -10% energy heat quirk if you either use the Virago with 8/8 pods or by using the HBR-F left torso pod.

Well, sorry, but in both cases you wont have ECM anymore which is the entire point for the comparison.
If you dont go for ECM HBR then I better use a MAD-IIC laser vomit.
25 DHS is still better than 20 DHS on a HBR with 10% heat quirk (but no ECM) just did the numbers in EXCEL.

View PostFupDup, on 14 May 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

For ECM, it doesn't do you much good unless you spend a bunch of skill points in the sensor tree, which means you have fewer points to spend on things like heat efficiency (this does also apply to the HBR if you use ECM on it). On a mech with entirely energy hardpoints, you need all the cooling you can get.

Typically you use the left branch of the sensors tree to get the 3x Radar Derp.
The one ECM node then comes for free and is totally enough to make ECM effective (enough).

Edited by x Deathstrike x, 14 May 2021 - 04:22 PM.

#12 x Deathstrike x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:26 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 May 2021 - 04:12 PM, said:

Nah not P2W I don't think. If you think forward to the Cauldron proposed quirk pass (hopefully it's ready soon) it should make a lot more sense, if that makes sense?

DWF was also the most voted for (back when it was being done) in terms of what people wanted to be there for the Clan choice. Makes sense it should be there.

Well I just said it feels a bit like it. In the end they will come out for C-Bills to level the playing field.
These are no heros. So its just a bit like old mech packs that were overpowered at release.

Edited by x Deathstrike x, 14 May 2021 - 04:29 PM.

#13 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:36 PM

View Postx Deathstrike x, on 14 May 2021 - 04:21 PM, said:

Well, sorry, but in both cases you wont have ECM anymore which is the entire point for the comparison.
If you dont go for ECM HBR then I better use a MAD-IIC laser vomit.
25 DHS is still better than 20 DHS on a HBR with 10% heat quirk (but no ECM) just did the numbers in EXCEL.

The 20 DHS assumption for the HBR is lowballing it. Here is the HBR build off of Grimmechs that uses the F left torso:
https://mech.nav-alp...#f2103580_HBR-F

Alternatively, you can use the Virago's stock pods, but that requires you to reduce the alpha a bit (you do gain +10% ER laser range though). Otherwise, you can give up the heat quirk and run the Prime LT, in which case you can still pack in 24-25 DHS at least (but without the quirk).

Are you using LPL instead of HLL in your example builds?

Also, the Mad IIC laser boat is an entirely different beast because it's slower, fatter, and far less agile.

View Postx Deathstrike x, on 14 May 2021 - 04:21 PM, said:

Typically you use the left branch of the sensors tree to get the 3x Radar Derp.
The one ECM node then comes for free and is totally enough to make ECM effective (enough).

I don't typically take sensor tree. My path is usually survival, firepower, and operations to maximize my ability to survive damage and dish it out.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:57 PM

well the ultraviolet's omnipods are getting moved.

#15 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:30 PM

Pre-Ordered. These were the 2 mechs I (and quite a few others) suggested back in the thread where feedback was asked about what variants to introduce. Posted Image

Edited by Funzo, 14 May 2021 - 05:38 PM.

#16 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

Thanks Daeron, Matt, and Cauldron for making this purchase happen.

Edit: Also, thanks Mark.

Edited by Remover of Obstacles, 15 May 2021 - 07:00 AM.

#17 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

IS pack was mediocre because people don’t know how to request good IS mechs.

#18 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:05 PM

Hmmm... Get another timber wolf? Tempting...

#19 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:33 PM

Shut up and take my money.

#20 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:49 PM

I think, that devs try to fix game, but in wrong places. Or they lack money and do only "cosmetic" fixes.

Because my wallet is closed and will be closed due to 2 major reasons:
1) Lack of local currency support.
2) Quality of matches is still too bad to invest real money into this game.

Balancing will never fix it. Only better matchmaking. Despite of having "true" MMR, matchmaker in this game still tends to create uneven teams and it's obvious, that quality of match would be much better, if teams would simply be shuffled a little bit. I still hang between Tier 4 and Tier 3, because I'm too good for Tier 4, but once I advance to Tier 3, Tier 1 guys start to stomp me immediately.

Map design is also frozen. Half of maps is completely unused because of broken design. And devs still think, that "environment diversity >> core game mechanics" and keep them for that 0.00001% of players, who occasionally grind enough vote multiplier to bring something like Polar Highlands. But unfortunately I have enough experience to know, that when players in your match vote for bad maps like this, then something will 100% go wrong in your match, because this guys are either noobs, who don't know, what maps to vote for, or Tier 1 pros, who vote for bad maps just for lulz and will 100% stomp you. And it's not confirmation bias. It's statistics.

They should understand, that players usually invest money, when they enjoy core game and want to enjoy it even more. When you just play it occasionally and don't fully enjoy it, then what is reason for throwing money to it? When you invest money into game - it's long term investment. You would never invest money into it, if you aren't sure, if you will play it in a future.

Edited by MrMadguy, 14 May 2021 - 09:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users