How Do You Blackjack?

40 replies to this topic

#21 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:53 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 27 July 2021 - 05:48 AM, said:

the BJ-3 was actually the first mech i purchased with back 4 or so years ago when i started. most of the time it sits back in mothballs but i pull it out from time to time. right now i am running it as follows

BJ-3 (4 LPPC, 2 MLs, running an LE-230 and 6 DHS with Endo (full armor -1pt in each leg.)

i often use it to test energy weapons when they do a balance change hence the current build

The BJ-3 is my next project 'mech, it has some surprisingly good looking energy quirks. How do you like the LPPCs? I was considering going with a meta 2xHPPC build or trying something with regular IS PPCs or even a laser build.

#22 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:02 PM

same here the BJ-3 was the first mech i ever got. i pull it out and experiment with it from time to time. LPPC works well since 2 LPPC do more damage for the same heat and 1 less ton with the same range as a normal PPC (also no min range).

i run my BJ-3 as follows (4 LPPCs, 2 ER SLs, 2 JJ, running an LE 230 with 6 DHS and Endo (full armor -1pt each leg)

i have fun with it and use it as a skirmisher. run dodge fire or poptart. i can almost always pull 300+ damage as long as my team isn't completely moronic.

#23 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:23 PM

The BJ-3 was used in some of the comp decks, as an ERPPC poptart.

#24 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 05:54 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 21 August 2021 - 05:02 PM, said:

same here the BJ-3 was the first mech i ever got. i pull it out and experiment with it from time to time. LPPC works well since 2 LPPC do more damage for the same heat and 1 less ton with the same range as a normal PPC (also no min range).

i run my BJ-3 as follows (4 LPPCs, 2 ER SLs, 2 JJ, running an LE 230 with 6 DHS and Endo (full armor -1pt each leg)

i have fun with it and use it as a skirmisher. run dodge fire or poptart. i can almost always pull 300+ damage as long as my team isn't completely moronic.

I hadn't done the math on PPCs vs LPPCs, now that I know they're more weight/heat efficient, I'll have to try them out.

#25 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 August 2021 - 03:09 PM

remember though that you take ghost heat with 4 LPPC since they have a HSL of 3. i simply fire alphas till i get toasty then either chain fire or fire in pairs.

#26 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:07 AM

I haven't really had the time to play for a while, but I've been tinkering with this off and on for the last few months. Now that I've been able to get some games in recently, I think I've settled on my ultimate Blackjack BJ-1 build: https://mwo.nav-alph...b=bebb516e_BJ-1

It's a "superstock" build that squeezes every last bit of tonnage out of this rinky dink 45 tonner, all while taking advantage of the nice ballistic quirks, maintaining excellent cooling, near full armor and bringing plenty of JJs. The accompanying skill tree is simple: max cooldown and magazine capacity, full survivability tree (minus AMS) and max radar deprivation.

Considering the high ballistic cooldown, I consistently run out of ammo with 4 tons and was on the edge with 4.5, so I have decided to bring 5 tons to be safe. I've also tried running ERMLas as well and found that I prefer the lower heat and cooldown of the standard MLas over the extra ~100m or so of range.

Edited by KaptinOrk, 08 October 2021 - 07:11 AM.

#27 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 07:45 AM

I've been working on Blackjack BJ-3 builds and these are my three contenders:

1. https://mwo.nav-alph...b=48cb5b28_BJ-3 - This is a "superstock" build similar to the BJ-1 build I have, it uses 2x standard PPCs and 4x MLas, with some upgrades. It seems like a decent mid-range skirmisher/pop tart and shouldn't be too hot if I have a little fire discipline.

2. https://mwo.nav-alph...b=28b9acbd_BJ-3 - This is a HPPC poptart build, I've seen a similar build on at least one big YouTube channel. I'm concerned that the DPS is kinda low, I guess that's just the trade off for the pinpoint damage?

3. https://mwo.nav-alph...b=981f41d2_BJ-3 - Last, but not least, this is the 6xLPPC boat. It runs hotter than the other two builds and has higher DPS ratings to go with that, I'd have to group fire the LPPCs to avoid ghost heat and be careful with my JJ use so I don't cook myself.

Thoughts or opinions on these builds? I'm doing some off and on playtesting with them while I do events and I'm always looking for room to improve.

#28 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 07:57 AM

I did not have the patience for the BJ, but as with nearly any chassis variant of any IS medium, if you have a missile slot, you can load it with MRMs and become a fairly potent hit and run menace.

#29 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 06:46 AM

View PostMoldur, on 15 November 2021 - 07:57 AM, said:

I did not have the patience for the BJ, but as with nearly any chassis variant of any IS medium, if you have a missile slot, you can load it with MRMs and become a fairly potent hit and run menace.

I run 4xMRM10s on the BJ-2 and I agree, it deals solid damage for the tonnage and runs cool. I use the MRM10 in place of the SRM6 in most cases, a slight decrease in damage for almost double the range and more ammo per ton is a win in my books.

#30 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:43 AM

View PostKaptinOrk, on 21 August 2021 - 08:53 AM, said:

The BJ-3 is my next project 'mech, it has some surprisingly good looking energy quirks. How do you like the LPPCs? I was considering going with a meta 2xHPPC build or trying something with regular IS PPCs or even a laser build.

BJ.3 and Arrow are my favourite BJs. The Arrow can be really nasty and I think the mech gets underestimated

Edited by Weeny Machine, 14 May 2022 - 11:43 AM.

#31 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:11 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 14 May 2022 - 11:43 AM, said:

BJ.3 and Arrow are my favourite BJs. The Arrow can be really nasty and I think the mech gets underestimated

I played around with both of them and found a couple builds that I like. I like to keep optimized builds similar to stock/canon builds when I can, I know it's usually not as optimal, but it's more enjoyable for me.

Here's the BJ-3 that I built: https://mwo.nav-alph...b=9182eaa4_BJ-3

I played around with different combinations of PPCs and just reverted back to 2x standard PPCs and 4x good, old fashioned MLas. I couldn't quite get the hang of 2xHPPCs, LPPC boating was way too hot for my taste and ERPPCs seemed anemic in every build I tried. The only build I didn't actually try was a SNPPC brawler and that's because I've tried brawling in my BJ-2 and it always ends up getting wrecked, it just doesn't have the armor or the twistability to protect it's side torsos.

My preferred build for The Arrow: https://mwo.nav-alph...b=ec5196ed_BJ-A

I really enjoy the skirmish potential that The Arrow brings to the table, it has fantastic range and ROF quirks for those MGs and I feel that the LMGs get the most out of them. 3x standard LLas is nothing to scoff at on a 45 ton IS 'mech and what ends up being ~8.5 LMGs (after quirks) is serious DPS at ranges that players don't expect MGs to be effective. I also have a LPPC/HMG build on standby, but I haven't had the chance to really test it out.

Unfortunately, I don't think the other Blackjack variants are particularly good right now. I love playing the AC/2 BJ-1, but it simply can't keep up with real snipers or DPS builds.

#32 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 06:10 PM

Your build looks solid for the BJ-1 - as for not racking up kills with it, don't worry too much. That build is designed to gradually wear away at enemies from range, compared to the old champion build from years ago which replaced the AC2s with a single AC20. I've also found that if you can stay on a target long enough with the AC2s, even if you don't necessarily get the kill you've got a pretty good chance of getting the KMDD, which is now valued the same for events.
As for other Blackjacks, someone's already mentioned light PPCs on the BJ-3. either 4 and some medium lasers or going all out and mounting 6, since they no longer have a minimum range so you don't "need" lasers for close up defense. Of course, if your aim is as horrible as mine then having a beam weapon may help you get at least a few ticks of damage rather than nothing at all if you miss.
If you're interested in the hero, I would run it with 3 large lasers and 6 machine guns or light machine guns. Of course, it'll be hot as balls and will be an easier target than, say, a Javelin, but stick with some teammates and use the range of the lasers to your advantage.

#33 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:48 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 14 May 2022 - 06:10 PM, said:

Your build looks solid for the BJ-1 - as for not racking up kills with it, don't worry too much. That build is designed to gradually wear away at enemies from range, compared to the old champion build from years ago which replaced the AC2s with a single AC20. I've also found that if you can stay on a target long enough with the AC2s, even if you don't necessarily get the kill you've got a pretty good chance of getting the KMDD, which is now valued the same for events.
As for other Blackjacks, someone's already mentioned light PPCs on the BJ-3. either 4 and some medium lasers or going all out and mounting 6, since they no longer have a minimum range so you don't "need" lasers for close up defense. Of course, if your aim is as horrible as mine then having a beam weapon may help you get at least a few ticks of damage rather than nothing at all if you miss.
If you're interested in the hero, I would run it with 3 large lasers and 6 machine guns or light machine guns. Of course, it'll be hot as balls and will be an easier target than, say, a Javelin, but stick with some teammates and use the range of the lasers to your advantage.

I love the AC/2 BJ-1, I climbed out of T5 and into the bottom of T3 at the controls of the BJ-1 I posted earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, I just can't make it perform in T3 matches, it simply requires too much face time to do it's damage, it's eaten alive by more "meta" builds, even when sticking with teammates.

My preferred Arrow build is 3x LLas and 6xLMG, I posted it in the comment above yours. It's actually not that hot if you don't go absolutely mad with it.

#34 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 10:37 PM

View PostKaptinOrk, on 14 May 2022 - 09:48 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I just can't make it perform in T3 matches, it simply requires too much face time to do it's damage, it's eaten alive by more "meta" builds, even when sticking with teammates.

Honestly, at this point it just depends on the team you end up with and against, regardless of tier

#35 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:59 AM

if you want some inspiration let me lay some Lore down on ya..... you know Tex does it better so here let him lay it on ya instead

#36 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:38 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 15 May 2022 - 10:37 PM, said:

Honestly, at this point it just depends on the team you end up with and against, regardless of tier

I mostly agree with that, I definitely feel that my personal contribution is mattering less and less as my PSR increases. Some matches feel like the matchmaker just picks a winner.

I've been playing around with other 'mechs in the last couple months, but I must admit that I feel the Blackjack calling my name.

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 16 May 2022 - 01:59 AM, said:

if you want some inspiration let me lay some Lore down on ya..... you know Tex does it better so here let him lay it on ya instead

I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I've watched this particular episode of Tex Talks Battletech, the Blackjack has always been one of my favorites.

#37 Krashbox

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:00 PM

This is an old thread I wish I saw before. I like the Blackjacks and have the -1, -1X and the -3.

The -1 is equipped like the op and I call it the Annoying Blackjack. Folks don't like getting hit with ac/2s.

I found the -1x with 3 er-large lasers and two er-smalls useful to redirect the long range sniper's attention. It is equipped so it can move over 100KPH since it can't take too many all ppcs, all Gausses, large lasers or large pulse laser hits.

Currently using a -3 with four er-small lasers and two snubnose ppcs. It's not as agile or fast like the Vulcans but it can quickly mess up a mech someone else is shooting at.

That is the key I've found for the Blackjack is to stick around another mech whether it be assault, heavy or medium and shoot what they're shooting at. I usually die quickly and horribly if I run off chasing a squirrel.

Edited by Krashbox, 12 September 2022 - 08:01 PM.

#38 Frendly Pythagorean Natteri Tato

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 01:50 PM

View PostKrashbox, on 12 September 2022 - 08:00 PM, said:

That is the key I've found for the Blackjack is to stick around another mech whether it be assault, heavy or medium and shoot what they're shooting at. I usually die quickly and horribly if I run off chasing a squirrel.

Yes, key in BJs is don't take damage and don't chase squirrels. Give fire support.

#39 Vlads Brain

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 01:32 AM

The buff to the X1 is pretty nice. Now it allows for a nice mid range skirmisher build with good heat management.

bj-1x

#40 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:58 AM

View PostVlads Brain, on 21 September 2022 - 01:32 AM, said:

The buff to the X1 is pretty nice. Now it allows for a nice mid range skirmisher build with good heat management.

bj-1x

I put a light 270 on mine. Same idea, one extra heat sink. Speed only drops to 97.
https://mwo.nav-alph...=6e3677ad_BJ-1X

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users