Ngngtv Podcast Interview With Francois!

17 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:59 AM

Check out this interview with Francois Tremblay level designer for MWO!

#2 Locked Bolt

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

First

#3 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:21 AM

Ah thanks for sharing, this was a fantastic conversation! Thanks again to Francois for sitting down and talking, look forward to the next one!

#4 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:26 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 21 May 2021 - 10:59 AM, said:

<*Looks at Matt/Daeron/Phil*> ... Guys... is it "Francios" or "Francois"?!?!? :blink:

~D. V. "confused about this Map Designer's name spelling" Devnull

[Quick Edit by the Post Author to correct a silly Formatting Issue...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 21 May 2021 - 11:26 AM.

#5 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:19 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 21 May 2021 - 11:26 AM, said:

<*Looks at Matt/Daeron/Phil*> ... Guys... is it "Francios" or "Francois"?!?!? Posted Image

It's Frank

#6 Betrax

• PipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:45 PM

really good keep it up Franci bring a breath of fresh air in here i love your work and what's to come (Posted Image)

Edited by Betrax, 21 May 2021 - 12:55 PM.

#7 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAt home, at work, or on the stage... mostly

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:26 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 21 May 2021 - 11:26 AM, said:

<*Looks at Matt/Daeron/Phil*> ... Guys... is it "Francios" or "Francois"?!?!? :blink:

:) I was wondering the same thing, but already decided that Phil probably misspelled his name.

View PostMatt Newman, on 21 May 2021 - 12:19 PM, said:

It's Frank

:D :D

Now I know what you and Daeron were talking about when you were describing his enthusiasm as being contagious. The guy is literally a hype bomb and I love and share his attitude towards work: when you love what you work, you don't "work" a single day.

Thanks for the podcast Phil! Thanks Francois. Thanks team MattKatz, The Cauldron, the community. Thanks Blake, Kerensky, Grayson, Justin Allard,...

Can't help it :D Hyped :D :D :D

Edited by pacifica812, 21 May 2021 - 02:30 PM.

#8 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:43 PM

View Postpacifica812, on 21 May 2021 - 02:26 PM, said:

Posted Image I was wondering the same thing, but already decided that Phil probably misspelled his name.

Posted Image Posted Image

Now I know what you and Daeron were talking about when you were describing his enthusiasm as being contagious. The guy is literally a hype bomb and I love and share his attitude towards work: when you love what you work, you don't "work" a single day.

Thanks for the podcast Phil! Thanks Francois. Thanks team MattKatz, The Cauldron, the community. Thanks Blake, Kerensky, Grayson, Justin Allard,...

Can't help it Posted Image Hyped Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yeah to be honest Daeron and I feel like we won the lottery with Francois! I don't think we could have found a better person to have joined our team for MWO.

#9 GnarlyToe

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:21 PM

NGNGTV for the win, keep that streak going man, great as always.

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:45 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 21 May 2021 - 02:43 PM, said:

Yeah to be honest Daeron and I feel like we won the lottery with Francois! I don't think we could have found a better person to have joined our team for MWO.

I have to say working with Francois/Francios/Frank/Tom-Richard-Harry via Cauldron, albeit limited, the guy is infectiously happy and motivated.

Absolutely hilarious dude with some amazing motivation. I love it and to see it on camera is even better.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 21 May 2021 - 03:45 PM.

#11 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:48 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 21 May 2021 - 12:19 PM, said:

It's Frank

Alright... Thank You for clearing up the confusion, as well as the news post's header... Much Appreciated!!! ^_^

View PostMatt Newman, on 21 May 2021 - 02:43 PM, said:

Matt, you and Daeron picked extremely well, as the Entire MWO Community definitely won the lottery when you got Frank on-board. That redesign to Canyon Network is positively remarkable. There are minor glitches with floating rocks in the C2 area, and a minor issue with a bridge-supporting rock that isn't perfectly settled against the terrain at the D4/D5 Border near the C-Line on the map. Also, more stuff has been documented at "https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/280218-interstellar-explorations-discovers-anti-gravity-on-new-canyon/" to fix along with those. But even with those glitches, when one considers for the fact that Frank went into a nearly full-map redesign, and really went to town with a number of the new path options, there is simply no question at all that he did one very excellent map rebuild. I'm rather much looking forward to future map redesigns that he comes up with, as well as any Bug Fixes on various Maps and changes to Spawn Locations too. :D

Also, please pass along if possible that over on the Tourmaline Desert map, the Alpha Lance spawning zone on Domination in E4 is wishing to get shifted elsewhere. The current state of MatchMaking is occasionally dropping slow 95-plus-Ton Mechs over there where they should not ever start, which sets them up far too easily to get caught out before they've taken a paste job from enemy fire. That sets up an early imbalance in the battle before those Assaults ever really get to engage and can occasionally pre-decide the Match at the beginning, reducing the fun & challenge for everyone. :o

View PostSean Lang, on 21 May 2021 - 11:21 AM, said:

Ah thanks for sharing, this was a fantastic conversation! Thanks again to Francois for sitting down and talking, look forward to the next one!

Phil, is there any way you can fix the levels/balance on that Podcast's audio, please? I went to sit down and listen to it, and found from the first four minutes that Frank's voice was over-deviating my speakers. When I turned my speakers and other settings down so that his voice did not, then I was unable to properly hear you, like as if someone had tossed two or three thick blankets over your head. On top of that, if I had dared to wear headphones at all, my ears would have been blown clean off, more so than when just using my main speakers. I would seriously like to listen to this whole Podcast and hear the conversation (and obviously see the video too), but without this audio leveling issue being fixed, there is no way that I can safely or properly do so. :(

Just to compare for reference, with all of my audio settings at their normal positions, there is no issue in trying to listen to the Dev Vlogs from Matt & Daeron themselves. I also believe that I have listened to some of your previous Podcast videos without encountering these issues too. I hope that will help with equalizing the levels in this recent Podcast's audio. :)

~D. V. "giving some appreciative helpful feedback both about Frank's Map Design and Phil's Interview Podcast" Devnull

[Minor Edit by the Post Author for a single missed word in their post... Oops!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 21 May 2021 - 03:52 PM.

#12 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:13 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 21 May 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

Phil, is there any way you can fix the levels/balance on that Podcast's audio, please? I went to sit down and listen to it, and found from the first four minutes that Frank's voice was over-deviating my speakers. When I turned my speakers and other settings down so that his voice did not, then I was unable to properly hear you, like as if someone had tossed two or three thick blankets over your head. On top of that, if I had dared to wear headphones at all, my ears would have been blown clean off, more so than when just using my main speakers. I would seriously like to listen to this whole Podcast and hear the conversation (and obviously see the video too), but without this audio leveling issue being fixed, there is no way that I can safely or properly do so. Posted Image

Just to compare for reference, with all of my audio settings at their normal positions, there is no issue in trying to listen to the Dev Vlogs from Matt & Daeron themselves. I also believe that I have listened to some of your previous Podcast videos without encountering these issues too. I hope that will help with equalizing the levels in this recent Podcast's audio. Posted Image

It's something I've been trying to nail down, but will do better in the future! I adjusted his audio a few minutes in b/c I noticed it was peaking, but yeah, something I need to square away before recording.

#13 ENDMYSUFFERING

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 180 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:56 AM

View PostSean Lang, on 21 May 2021 - 07:13 PM, said:

It's something I've been trying to nail down, but will do better in the future! I adjusted his audio a few minutes in b/c I noticed it was peaking, but yeah, something I need to square away before recording.

Have you tried running all the audio through a compressor with fairly high ratio? That tends to work well for balancing something like this where there's just a couple voices, even assuming you don't have time to get levels right beforehand. Quiets the loud parts down so you can then turn the overall volume up and thus narrow the gap between loud and quiet, at the cost of noise of course.

Can be fiddly to get sounding right, but it's a super useful tool to have on hand. I've spent enough time doing both recorded and live audio work to learn that the hard way :P

#14 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAt home, at work, or on the stage... mostly

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:59 AM

View PostSean Lang, on 21 May 2021 - 07:13 PM, said:

View PostENDMYSUFFERING, on 22 May 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

Have you tried running all the audio through a compressor with fairly high ratio? That tends to work well for balancing something like this where there's just a couple voices, even assuming you don't have time to get levels right beforehand. Quiets the loud parts down so you can then turn the overall volume up and thus narrow the gap between loud and quiet, at the cost of noise of course.

Can be fiddly to get sounding right, but it's a super useful tool to have on hand. I've spent enough time doing both recorded and live audio work to learn that the hard way Posted Image

Also a little bit of deesser would help bring those high frequencies down.

#15 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:57 PM

Good news, welcome Frank!

View PostLockheed_, on 21 May 2021 - 12:50 PM, said:

I see I am not alone playing with my beard while on a video call.

That, thats a moustache... I know because I got none, I HATE moustaches, noen shall disturb my nose! A nice rim beard along the cheek up to my ears and goatee for me though Posted Image

Edited by Tordin, 23 May 2021 - 01:58 PM.

#16 Agent Super Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:03 AM

So despite the bias for brawl, we'll still see everything on the maps, correct? :D

#17 ShootterMcGavin

• PipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSlam Diego, CA

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:45 PM

Great interview, and welcome Francois. Awesome news all around

#18 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Francios, nice to meet you.
I am very glad that you have joined the PGI team to improve old maps and create new ones. You are the one kind of person who will do what we have all lacked for a long time.
I already wrote in another thread about your first swallow - New Canyons.

I do not undertake to give unambiguous estimates for new Canyons yet. An ambiguous map: it has become open to snipers and lurmwarriors, the game starts with a wide nascar, but at the same time new passages and ramps give more freedom of maneuver (and I like that).

I wish you great success in the future in improving the game that unites us all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users