• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:58 AM

View PostAbisha, on 06 June 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

No C-SRM6+ Artemis do not work on the event
must be SRM6

Aff.

Either deploy in the Trial Jenner IIC or use any owned Clan 'Mech.

#22 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:38 PM

It is an odd choice that they have forbidden artemis IMO.
However, I suspect they did not do it intentionally but are now going with it to save face or for some other reason, possibly as simple as laziness.

Still, all you have to do is have the missiles hit to count. IMO, SRM loadouts are not very fotm, and this whole thing flies in the face of what people have been playing. Perhaps this is part of some testing and data gathering thing they are doing in the background, or perhaps the streamers are tired of having people shoot back when they run out there in their pin point alpha sniper mechs or poptarts, and so asked the dev team to give people a reason to get outranged for a month or so.
Maybe thats a little tinfoil hat, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility given who runs the show here and how much they crave video game celebrity status.

All I know is I tried to make a IS srm4+ML loadout to do both at once and gave it up after two matches. I will do the ML seperately from the SRM now. Both will be considered back up systems to a longer range primary weapons group. We do have all month to do this.

Oh, related I suppose, I did the ERPPC and SRM6 clan side on a stupid loadout on my mothballed Spirit Bear. It took me like 2 hours. So even without artemis or even a good loadout, this isn't the end of the world. Plus it all counts towards the other 5k damage challenges

#23 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:11 PM

View PostZordicron, on 06 June 2021 - 03:38 PM, said:

It is an odd choice that they have forbidden artemis IMO.
However, I suspect they did not do it intentionally but are now going with it to save face or for some other reason, possibly as simple as laziness.

it's because the game treats them as separate weapon systems, and i assume the event challenges are unable to have them both count toward the same damage total for that reason. there's no reason to read anything into it, it's just the way the event system is structured.

Perhaps this is part of some testing and data gathering thing they are doing in the background, or perhaps the streamers are tired of having people shoot back when they run out there in their pin point alpha sniper mechs or poptarts, and so asked the dev team to give people a reason to get outranged for a month or so.
Maybe thats a little tinfoil hat, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility given who runs the show here and how much they crave video game celebrity status.

what an incredibly stupid thought.

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:26 PM

i think i used mrm spam to finish off missile damage. you need the correct weapons to get the mechs though. keep in mind that an srm6 is a different weapon from the srm6-a

Edited by LordNothing, 06 June 2021 - 08:27 PM.

#25 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:45 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 June 2021 - 08:26 PM, said:

i think i used mrm spam to finish off missile damage.

Pretty much any missile weapon will do.

I have seen MRM-boats, SRM-boats and LRM-boats, not so many Streak-boats.

Congrats, I see you have moved up a Tier. Posted Image

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 10:12 PM

View Postmartian, on 06 June 2021 - 08:45 PM, said:

Pretty much any missile weapon will do.

I have seen MRM-boats, SRM-boats and LRM-boats, not so many Streak-boats.

Congrats, I see you have moved up a Tier. Posted Image

ive bounced off t2 half a dozen times since the psr reset. the real point of pride was that i did it running mostly trashmechs. though the grand dragon pack probibly helped a little.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 June 2021 - 10:13 PM.

#27 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 June 2021 - 05:27 AM

The SRM-4 portion of the event was easily accomplished by dusting off my old Cyclops 10Q... six SRM 4’s in two chain fire groups and three PPCs. Next up, I’ll be doing the same thing on the Clanner side with an Ebon Jag (2 ERPPC and 3 srm 6).

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 07 June 2021 - 05:43 AM.

#28 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:08 AM

Man. People will take any excuse to create wild conspiracy theories accusing Piranha of entirely the wrong kinds of malicious intent.

The challenge is asking you to deal a little bit of damage with common light 'Mech weapons* loaded on the current trial light 'Mechs. The Jenner-F has medium lasers, the Commando has SRM-4s. The Jenner-IIC has cSRM-6s and the Adder has cERPPCs. Effectively, the challenge is asking you to make a few drops in each light trial 'Mech, but it'll let you get away with using anything you have on hand that can load the appropriate weapons.

Artemis-boosted missiles are a different weapon system in the game code. An Artemis SRM-4 is no more "the same as an SRM-4" than an AC/5 is, insofar as the game is concerned. Is that weird? Yes, but also no. Were I building the game myself I'd likely do the same thing, as it's the easiest way to handle the change in firing pattern. This isn't like the ammo switching issue, where Piranha should absolutely have seen the need coming and planned their code better. ASRMs being different than regular SRMs doesn't matter in any other circumstance and is an easy, field-expedient code fix.

As for having to spend millions of C-bills on specialty 'Mechs just to complete the challenge? Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I had plenty of 'Mechs sitting around in dusty corners waiting to be refitted with challenge weapons. Hell, the event was enough to get me to put an engine back in my Sarah's Jenner and run around for a little bit shooting people with the power of rainbows and unicorns. Been a hot minute since I've run Sarah's Jenner, that was nice for a few drops. Was it my average day-to-day preference? Nah. But I had the 'Mech. I'm pretty sure everybody in this thread has something they can use to score points with. Bust out the old loyalty Centurions or *****. And the Clan weapons challenge is practically a gimme. Everybody's got a SplatSomething with cSRM-6s, and cERPPCs are the pinpoint damage everybody wants anyways.

So yeah. Not buying the whole "oh woe is me I have to buy and kit out entire heavy 'Mechs to finish the challenge" thing. Ya did that to yusself, you had options otherwise.

#29 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:24 AM

View Post1453 R, on 07 June 2021 - 07:08 AM, said:

So yeah. Not buying the whole "oh woe is me I have to buy and kit out entire heavy 'Mechs to finish the challenge" thing. Ya did that to yusself, you had options otherwise.

Well perhaps they don't have as many dusty old mechs lying around as we do, but PGI made sure that all the weapons required are currently loadouts on trial mechs. So if you really want to, you don't have to spend a single c-Bill to get all the free stuff.

Spoiler alert... you'll want to. Posted Image But once again PGI goes to lengths to make sure the game is not pay-to-play, and we appreciate that.

#30 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:57 AM

Oh sure, people aren't going to have the nine-year Crazy 'Mech Lady collection sitting around. I've got enough 'Mechs on my own personal account to set myself up as a bandit goddess anywhere in the periphery I feel like putting myself.

One does not, however, need nearly two hundred PokeMechs to find something with a couple of missile hardpoints to throw a couple of launchers on, or something with an energy hardpoint or two for cERPPCs. The harshest ask is iML, nobody wants to do a thousand iML damage one or two lasers at a time, but it's also kinda really hard not to own SOMETHING with four or more energy hardpoints to shove lasers into.

Will you get the challenge done in a drop and a half without a nine-hardpoint Archer or a twelve-hardpoint Vulcan or whatever? Nah. But you can do it without issue. It's simply a matter of playing whatever you have that can mount the weapons in question. I got mine done with Sarah's Jenner, Oxide, and an old Wolfhound I had sitting around in the space of maybe an hour or so. Yeah, not many people are gonna have those specific 'Mechs (the dead gods only know where that Oxide came from, I don't remember buying that heresy T_T), but I refuse to believe anyone posting here is so 'Mech poor they don't have any Inner Sphere 'Mechs capable of mounting a couple of SRM-4s or a few medium lasers.

#31 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:19 AM

Perhaps this is part of some testing and data gathering thing they are doing in the background, or perhaps the streamers are tired of having people shoot back when they run out there in their pin point alpha sniper mechs or poptarts, and so asked the dev team to give people a reason to get outranged for a month or so.

I can not quite agree.

#32 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:25 AM

Just wait for the next challenge.

Shoot down 100 UAVs and do 1,000 damage to UAVs...

...using only Clan LRM20s (no Artemis)...

...without LOS.

#33 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:13 PM

View PostRemover of Obstacles, on 07 June 2021 - 09:25 AM, said:

Just wait for the next challenge.

Shoot down 100 UAVs and do 1,000 damage to UAVs...

...using only Clan LRM20s (no Artemis)...

...without LOS.

Do not give PGI ideas, please. Posted Image

#34 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 517 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:43 AM

I don't get why so many seem to be upset with this event.

other than the 5000missile-dmg (which will just give the backfield-lurmers a reason to do so 24/7), the challenges are fine;
both the amount of brawling and harassing lights (read: lights that actually DO something) has both gone up,
while a lot of ppl are doing the PPC-part and it's just something REFRESHINGLY different to the constant nascar-circle-of-nonsense.

imHo, the event is great so far, as are the challenges. lots of fun to be had.

now, for the next event I'd encourage you guys who do them to just specify even more on the damage part.
X-dmg with a large-laser, gauss, ppc, srm2, hell.. FLAMER ;D
and if you have to do the 5000-missile-damage, here's a thought:
can you differentiate between direct-fire and indirect-fire? if so, give us a direct-fire challenge. now THAT would
change things on the battlefield Posted Image

Edited by Captain Caveman DE, 08 June 2021 - 03:48 AM.

#35 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:44 PM

Missiles are easy if you have a splat Mech.

#36 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:30 PM

View PostCaptain Caveman DE, on 08 June 2021 - 03:43 AM, said:

can you differentiate between direct-fire and indirect-fire? if so, give us a direct-fire challenge.

they would not be able to tell what flight path the missiles took. But this event comes close, with having to do 2000 damage with SRM’s!

#37 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:43 PM

View Postw0qj, on 05 June 2021 - 11:00 PM, said:

Try the Kintaro KTO-18 medium IS mech.
Modest CBills requirements for medium mech, 5 missile hardpoints, and quirks for Missile Cooldown, Missile Heat, and Missile Velocity Posted Image

(The IS Hero mech Dervish Frenzy DV-FR with 8 missile hardpoints works very well too, but not everyone has it yet).

hah, I was looking through my mechs for what i wanted to use and noticed i had a brand new Frenzy. I must have bought it right before i took a break because i never played it.

Seams like the perfect event to break it in!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users