Mw5 Mods Not Working

5 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:25 AM

I have MW5+DLC from Epic and non of the mods from Nexus or Epic work for me.
Either there is no change at all or they make the game crash at the start with an error that "files can't be created" or something like that.

Has anyone any experiances with how to get the mods to work?

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:59 PM

make sure any mods you install are updated for the dlc, i saw a few up there that claimed to be compatible but i havent really tried to install any yet.

pgi needs to add more sanity checks for its mod support. for example mods installed via the epic launcher should be version checked before the game tried to run with any of them. this is ok for mods installed manually but unacceptable for launcher installed mods. if you are going to manage mod installs with the launcher, actually do some management.

i was rather disturbed by the fact that the mods had to be removed manually despite being disabled in the launcher. that should remove the mods from the active mod directory (though they would be cached somewhere in your user directory). also the launcher should also automatically disable mods that are out of date or update them if possible.

mod interoperability is also an issue that seems to have been left to the modders to resolve. like every mod needs its own namespace and changes to game files need to be diffed in as opposed to overwritten with modified versions. the games with the best mod communities have this feature. there was a compatibility mod but it seemed to not work very well.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 June 2021 - 06:20 PM.

#3 Tenam

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:27 AM

Nesutizale ,
The mods have to be re-created after the Update and DLC. I wrote several mods for the previous release and when it was updated they caused a crash. The MOD creator has to recreate the MODs post Update/DLC so look for ones that state they have been updated for DLC or Update.

#4 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:33 AM

Damn.. I hope that some of the mods get a "rework" then. Espacialy Navids HUD and maybe some sound mods.

#5 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:23 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 June 2021 - 05:59 PM, said:

make sure any mods you install are updated for the dlc, i saw a few up there that claimed to be compatible but i havent really tried to install any yet.

pgi needs to add more sanity checks for its mod support. for example mods installed via the epic launcher should be version checked before the game tried to run with any of them. this is ok for mods installed manually but unacceptable for launcher installed mods. if you are going to manage mod installs with the launcher, actually do some management.

i was rather disturbed by the fact that the mods had to be removed manually despite being disabled in the launcher. that should remove the mods from the active mod directory (though they would be cached somewhere in your user directory). also the launcher should also automatically disable mods that are out of date or update them if possible.

mod interoperability is also an issue that seems to have been left to the modders to resolve. like every mod needs its own namespace and changes to game files need to be diffed in as opposed to overwritten with modified versions. the games with the best mod communities have this feature. there was a compatibility mod but it seemed to not work very well.

I would call what PGI did as basic. You make good points if they wanted to improve it but it doesn't look like a priority. If they haven't already I'd be surprised if they did so it might be a moot point.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:00 PM

View PostSomersetStriker, on 07 June 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

I would call what PGI did as basic. You make good points if they wanted to improve it but it doesn't look like a priority. If they haven't already I'd be surprised if they did so it might be a moot point.

well that is what pgi tends to do. why spend money chasing excellence when you can box minimum viability and sell it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users