- - - - -

New Players Beware

24 replies to this topic

#1 Dog Faced Gremlin

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:29 PM

After creating a new account and completing the "tutorial" ( really pales in comparision to most games) I decided to give MWO a chance to impress me - long story short, I didn't even complete the 25 cadet missions before throwing in the towel NOT impressed as I completed 20 cadet missions with 20 deaths and 19 losses in total I found myself being hunted by seasoned players looking for an easy kill - NOT fun I will admit the rewards are substantial for newbies, however constantly being focused and quickly dieing makes all the money etc absolutely pointless Also no VOIP for new players is completley bogus as typing in game is tedious and distracts the player who is usually running for thier lives. I am thouroughly dissapointed in my experience - the only good thing is I didn't spend any real money on this title, becaise if I had, I'd be asking for a refund... To bad as I am a longtime fan of the Battletech universe - I think I'll try Hairbrain's offering to see if that fits the bill Again my experience was very negative and I will be removing MWO from my system asap

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,907 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:53 PM

View PostDog Faced Gremlin, on 21 June 2021 - 09:29 PM, said:

After creating a new account and completing the "tutorial" ( really pales in comparision to most games)

I agree that the Academy could be better.

I decided to give MWO a chance to impress me - long story short, I didn't even complete the 25 cadet missions before throwing in the towel

Would not be better to work in identifing and correcting your mistakes?

NOT impressed as I completed 20 cadet missions with 20 deaths and 19 losses in total I found myself being hunted by seasoned players looking for an easy kill

Really seasoned players can be found in Tier 1, but usually not in Tier 5.

- NOT fun I will admit the rewards are substantial for newbies, however constantly being focused and quickly dieing makes all the money etc absolutely pointless

See above.

If you are being constantly focused, perhaps you are too far from your team. Or perhaps you should not attack the enemy team head on. Waiting a few moments to find out, where the enemy team actually is, is often a good idea.

Also no VOIP for new players is completley bogus as typing in game is tedious and distracts the player who is usually running for thier lives.

Pardon? This game has a built-in VoIP function.

I am thouroughly dissapointed in my experience - the only good thing is I didn't spend any real money on this title, becaise if I had, I'd be asking for a refund... To bad as I am a longtime fan of the Battletech universe

Does it mean that you have played some previous MechWarrior games?

I think I'll try Hairbrain's offering to see if that fits the bill Again my experience was very negative and I will be removing MWO from my system asap

And if you lose the first few games, will you uninstall the HBS' BattleTech too?

#3 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:21 PM

View Postmartian, on 21 June 2021 - 09:53 PM, said:

Pardon? This game has a built-in VoIP function.

VoIP is disabled for CADETS. I'll agree with OP that it isn't a great system to have to detract VoIP abusers from opening throw away accounts just to get their rocks off, but I'm at a loss of what a better system might look like

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,829 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:31 PM

On the plus side, HBS Battletech is an absolute knockout. You’ll be pleased with it.

But don’t give up on MWO just yet, especially since it’s free. 19 losses in 20 missions is really hard to do, that won’t be your normal experience. And the amount of times you die will decrease once you learn the fine art of where not to stand. Posted Image

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:44 PM

Hello there, Dog Faced Gremlin,

it's a real shame you've not been having a good time with MWO. I wonder, did you try for some advise/help? There are pretty awesome people out there that can give you valuable tips and hints, or even group up with you and show you the ropes.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,907 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:44 PM

View PostRosarius, on 21 June 2021 - 10:21 PM, said:

VoIP is disabled for CADETS. I'll agree with OP that it isn't a great system to have to detract VoIP abusers from opening throw away accounts just to get their rocks off, but I'm at a loss of what a better system might look like

Really? Well, I lost my "Cadet" status some time ago ... Posted Image

#7 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:42 PM

View Postmartian, on 21 June 2021 - 10:44 PM, said:

Really? Well, I lost my "Cadet" status some time ago ... Posted Image

When I was a "CADET" there was no VoIP :P

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,907 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:01 AM

View PostRosarius, on 21 June 2021 - 11:42 PM, said:

When I was a "CADET" there was no VoIP Posted Image

When I registered, the MWO had yet to be created ... Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,668 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:08 PM

Dog Faced Gremlin, there is a difference between Seasoned, top end players and players who play just to play without stressing on improving their game or other handicap and reside in Tier 4 and Tier 5.

Thus overall, for the most part you are not being hunted by sharks but more like catfish, or goldfish in a lake vs goldfish in a small aquarium ... or guppies Posted Image Or cadets and those who have difficulty hitting the broadside of a barn.

Could the PSR be better setup? or done so if/when a player reaches at least Tier 4, they are not able to drop back down into Tier 5? Possibly, but even if with that, population is a hindrance as this is a niche game and the MM (matchmaker) has a default 2-tier range but even that can open up if there arent enough players in the tier range to drop, among other criteria.

But if you are that easily put off and wanting God-Mode, this is DEFINITELY not the game. All MWO/MBPT have had a high learning curve, and PGI could have done a lot better with the Academy but the lack of a decent AI, even then is lacking.

/shrugs. It is what it is.

With that said, there is HBS Battletech which is a turn based video game, as well as Mechwarrior 5 is available, a single player game w/co-opt that is in the same vein as Mechwarrior games 2-4. Original MW didnt have co-opt but was the combat engine for GEnie's EGA MPBT 3025 online game back in the 1990s Posted Image

To each their own, but this is a Free to Play game, not a Pay to Win type game. I have an alt that is Tier 2 that I have not spent any RL cash on, just made sure to play when events happened, etc.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 22 June 2021 - 05:11 PM.

#10 Phaelan Ward

• Pip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:38 PM

TBH I can relate a bit to the OP. Back when I created the account, Mechs were jumping up and down and firing PPCs. And I was dead...fast...always. The tutorial just covers how to move and shoot.
I gave it a second chance lately and prepared a little by watching videos and actually thinking before putting stuff into my mech or even buying one. Because first, there are good ones and bad ones. And some stuff that looks good in paper doesn't work that well in the game.
As much as people might hate me for this, my "Career" started with an Assault LRM boat and a Heavy Laser Build.
Why LRMs? Well for one because you can still help your team despite mit being positioned well. Although with the build I use I can trade shots at closer distances, staying back a little and observe how everything plays out without constantly getting shot at really helps you learn (my positioning still isn't great but you learn to read how the battle evolves).
Also, If you found a Mech you like then get out of your trial Mechs. The skills REALLY make a difference.

My advice: Start with a Clan Heavy Mech with Lasers or LRMs. They are as fast as many Mediums, deliver a punch and can take some beating. I still haven't really figured out how to play Mediums properly - you need more situational awareness because you die rather fast and aren't as mobile as Lights.

That said, do not expect to smash enemies like Hulk from the get-go. You never will. If you're the only visible target then everybody will shoot you - and then it doesn't matter if you're an Assault or not.

Edited by Phaelan Ward, 22 June 2021 - 11:39 PM.

#11 Aivazovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:19 AM

I didn't even complete the 25 cadet missions before throwing in the towel NOT impressed as I completed 20 cadet missions with 20 deaths and 19 losses in total
1 win and 19 losses u say? Yeaaahhhh...Posted Image
No comments.

Edited by Aivazovsky, 23 June 2021 - 01:19 AM.

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:59 AM

View PostPhaelan Ward, on 22 June 2021 - 11:38 PM, said:

I still haven't really figured out how to play Mediums properly - you need more situational awareness because you die rather fast and aren't as mobile as Lights.

Have you heard of the hunchbuddy? Or battle buddy, if'n you don't wanna relegate it to a single mech? Basically, to start with on mediums, pick a mobile weapons platform and stick to an assault. Preferably one that looks like they know what they're doing. Then keep enough distance they can back up when ever they peek, but peek where they peek. Shoot what they shoot. Help scare off lights, and hopefully, when in the thick of the fight, everyone'll focus your Big assault rather'n you, and your teammate'll have reliable help and you'll get more of a feel for the game, and everyone wins 'cept for the reds.

~Leone.

#13 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:07 AM

Since T5 players can be pitted against players from T5, T4 and importantly T3, its no surprise.
If the population is low enough are the gates totally open?
Ya noe, T1 meets cadet?

Edited by General Solo, 23 June 2021 - 04:07 AM.

#14 Phaelan Ward

• Pip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:10 AM

View PostLeone, on 23 June 2021 - 01:59 AM, said:

Have you heard of the hunchbuddy? Or battle buddy, if'n you don't wanna relegate it to a single mech? Basically, to start with on mediums, pick a mobile weapons platform and stick to an assault. Preferably one that looks like they know what they're doing. Then keep enough distance they can back up when ever they peek, but peek where they peek. Shoot what they shoot. Help scare off lights, and hopefully, when in the thick of the fight, everyone'll focus your Big assault rather'n you, and your teammate'll have reliable help and you'll get more of a feel for the game, and everyone wins 'cept for the reds.

~Leone.

If got my Laser-Sparky (2xLPL, 4xML and 3 JJ). Quite fun, dies fast :-) people seem to like to shoot the babymechs first. Heard of thr Hunchy of course. Will look into it more :-) thank you. Although If I had to chosey feeling ist that the. Clan Mediums are was faster that the IS ones across the Board. My Clan Heavies are as fast as my IS Mediums :-(

#15 Phaelan Ward

• Pip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:15 AM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 23 June 2021 - 04:07 AM, said:

Since T5 players can be pitted against players from T5, T4 and importantly T3, its no surprise.
If the population is low enough are the gates totally open?
Ya noe, T1 meets cadet?

I am T4 (and rising as long as I stick to my strong Mechs and don't do any experiments). But from time to time there are people in the Match that really seem to know what they are doing whilst others stand around and don't move while trying to hit stuff. Although there are alot of cadets and Playerbase seems to grow.
I'd say MWO is about as active as WoWS EU (haven't played in a while but they pulled an Ash Lambert again).

#16 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:19 AM

Not all cadets are new players, some are alt accounts.

So it may seem like growth but I see other data that says otherwise

https://steamcharts.com/app/342200

Edit:

Steam does not count alts,
one steam account can have many alts but steam does not count them
Jarls list on the other hand cannot tell the difference between an alt and a players primary account.

Edited by General Solo, 23 June 2021 - 04:24 AM.

#17 Phaelan Ward

• Pip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:45 AM

You're right about Steam. But I do see alot of cadets that...play like me so ... qed I guess :-p
Maybe I read Jarls statistics the wrong way but it doesn't look that bad. The Game ist really cool If you dig a little into it.

Edited by Phaelan Ward, 23 June 2021 - 04:45 AM.

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:50 AM

Game is cool but new players or any players really facing large skillgaps all the time will be driven away and never see what a cool game it is.

Edit: imo its why population is so low in the first place.
Potatoes are happy in a sack with other potatoes.
Potatoes less happy on a dinner plate.

Edited by General Solo, 23 June 2021 - 04:55 AM.

#19 Phaelan Ward

• Pip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 05:02 AM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 23 June 2021 - 04:50 AM, said:

Game is cool but new players or any players really facing large skillgaps all the time will be driven away and never see what a cool game it is.

I got about 300(?) Games played. Honestly, average gifted people should be able to grasp the gameplay basics pretty fast. Details and Map knowledge comes later.
The main problem from my perspective lies within the Mechlab. The Standard Mechs are...meh so you start experimenting without knowing what's decent with a mech. And all of that costs alot of CBills before you can try it.

So after 100 Games I went to youtube and looked for builds of Mechs I liked...took three, modified one a bit to my liking and with those I usually do pretty dope.
There should be more help on building Mechs imho. Using them is the lesser problem (imho).

Edited by Phaelan Ward, 23 June 2021 - 05:04 AM.

#20 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:15 AM

That is a very good point. The improved trial mechs help a bit but mechlab is a very long labyrinth without a map you need to navigate as soon as you buy your first mech.

If any new player sees this, please check grimmechs, youtube, streams or discord servers for advice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users