General HUD Menu

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ppars

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:48 PM

Hello everyone!

I am a brazilian player and I have been playing Battletech, MW5 and MWO for quite some time now, lately I have been trying to introduce MWO to some friends, they really enjoy the game but one problem became apparent very quickly, their difficulty to understand the information in the game due to the language barrier.

They managed to figure out the basic stuff by themselves but when it comes to more complex information I often had to explain stuff to them through discord since their english is not very good, it occurred to me that this is probably an issue most new players who don´t speak english encounter and not everyone will have a friend around to translate the information for them on the go right?

So I was wondering if it´s possible for me to make some sort of unofficial translation for the game that could be installed like a mod or something? Would be even better if PGI accepts fan-translations to be added to the game officially like some indie titles have been doing lately, but I am not sure if they would be interested in that... Anyways, any information you guys could give me on how to do this would be much appreciated, thanks!

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:56 PM

View PostPpars, on 21 June 2021 - 09:48 PM, said:

Hello everyone!

I am a brazilian player and I have been playing Battletech, MW5 and MWO for quite some time now, lately I have been trying to introduce MWO to some friends, they really enjoy the game but one problem became apparent very quickly, their difficulty to understand the information in the game due to the language barrier.

They managed to figure out the basic stuff by themselves but when it comes to more complex information I often had to explain stuff to them through discord since their english is not very good, it occurred to me that this is probably an issue most new players who don´t speak english encounter and not everyone will have a friend around to translate the information for them on the go right?

So I was wondering if it´s possible for me to make some sort of unofficial translation for the game that could be installed like a mod or something? Would be even better if PGI accepts fan-translations to be added to the game officially like some indie titles have been doing lately, but I am not sure if they would be interested in that... Anyways, any information you guys could give me on how to do this would be much appreciated, thanks!

There used to be some plans regarding possible French and German translations, but ultimately nothing ever came from it.

Personally I would have no problem with helping with the Czech translation.

#3 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:00 PM

I have seen a streamer create a mod that translates a lot of MWO's text to Korean hangul, I'm sure there would be a way to do any language if someone had the desire and capacity to do so

#4 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:07 AM

Thread moved to Feature Suggestions

#5 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:24 AM

Hello there, Ppars... While I am personally unable to lend any help due to always keeping my MWO Game Install in a plain vanilla condition since when I first loaded it up, I will still wish you well on coming up with alternate language translations for others to use. Good luck, and may you find the supporters and help that you want & need in order to complete your efforts, because every additional translation will help with expanding the player base. :)

~D. V. "unable to help your translation work, but hopes that you end up with total success" Devnull

#6 Ppars

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:48 AM

View PostRosarius, on 21 June 2021 - 10:00 PM, said:

I have seen a streamer create a mod that translates a lot of MWO's text to Korean hangul, I'm sure there would be a way to do any language if someone had the desire and capacity to do so

Interesting, any chance you could share his username or something so I may try contacting him?
Translating the text should be pretty easy to do and I could probably get it all done in a week by spending a couple of hours from my free time on it every day, the problem is getting the translated text into the game, it would be of great help if that streamer could point out how he did it

#7 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:50 AM

Have you considered contacting MWO support about this?

#8 Ppars

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:05 PM

View PostMonke-, on 22 June 2021 - 08:50 AM, said:

Have you considered contacting MWO support about this?

Hm not really, I thought the forums would be the best option for something like this but maybe you´re right, I´m going to try sending an e-mail to support later

Update:

Sent an e-mail to support a couple of minutes ago, I will let you guys know once I get an answer Posted Image

Update 2:

Support contacted me but sadly it seems I will be unable to go forward with this idea, currently PGI is not interested in using translations provided by players and I don´t know if making some sort of mod to use it as an unofficial translation would be possible or even allowed considering it would modify game files...

I think my best option right now is to write some sort of player guide translating the important stuff like equipment and skill descriptions

Edited by Ppars, 24 June 2021 - 05:01 AM.

#9 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 28 June 2021 - 02:26 AM

View PostPpars, on 22 June 2021 - 06:48 AM, said:

Interesting, any chance you could share his username or something so I may try contacting him?
Translating the text should be pretty easy to do and I could probably get it all done in a week by spending a couple of hours from my free time on it every day, the problem is getting the translated text into the game, it would be of great help if that streamer could point out how he did it

Sadly the name escapes me. He does stream on Twitch from time to time, if I see him I'll report back here with the name

Edited by Rosarius, 28 June 2021 - 02:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users