#1 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 09 July 2021 - 12:57 AM

Good evening MechWarriors,

I will admit, I have no idea the amount of work it would take to make this change but, something that would make the Summoner - F's Right Arm OmniPod a lot better would be moving the ballistic weapon above the energy weapon. Basically make it like the Summoner - F's Left Arm OmniPod.

It would be a lot cooler, visually, if the modeling for the left arm was mirrored as well, so both the right and left arms looked the same. There was a Ral Partha miniature (now put out by Iron Wind Metals) for the Thor "Summoner" D that would look a lot like this, although I am not sure why the miniature looked like this since the Summoner - D has two energy weapons in its arms. And no missiles.

Anyways! As I said, I am not sure how much work it would take PGI to make a change like this. It is just something that popped into my head while tinkering in the MechLab.

Edited by R79TCom1 Night Lanner, 09 July 2021 - 12:57 AM.

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 09 July 2021 - 09:27 AM

Sounds to me like a Feature Suggestion worth having another dose of SUPPORT added. Right now, that particular Right Arm OmniPod definitely looks rather darned screwy, doesn't it? Plus, having the Ballistic HardPoint above the Energy one also looks like a reasonable change. ^_^

~D. V. "Agrees on thinking the Summoner's 'SMN-F' Right Arm OmniPod needs to get a mounting fix..." Devnull

[One minor quick Edit by the Post's Author for a piece of missed formatting.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 09 July 2021 - 09:30 AM.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:17 AM

Asking for arm symmetry on a summoner in particular seems void to me. This Chassis will never play nice on your OCD :D

#4 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:16 AM

Dang... It took me long enough to catch back up with this thread, and validly get discussion back up out of a pile of burial stones... Here we go some more! :(

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 July 2021 - 11:17 AM, said:

Asking for arm symmetry on a summoner in particular seems void to me. This Chassis will never play nice on your OCD Posted Image

Never? That can only be said if people fail to stand up and do anything about requesting change. ;)

Think about other Variants of the Summoner which do have that kind of symmetry. In particular example, the SMN-B & SMN-D whose Arm Weapon Mounts are mirrors on both sides. And don't forget that the SMN-D also has mirrored Side Torso allocations as well for its' weaponry. There's no reason to go around having the SMN-F Arms living with suffering from a lack in symmetry, since it was released into MWO after the other two. Plus, think about how much more cool that the SMN-F would be with the Weapon Mounts properly mirrored on the Arms in terms of visual display. Can't really beat that, I think? :D

About all we would need to make sure of is that the Energy Mounts are both placed below the Ballistic Mounts in the final design. And one of each to an Arm in the layout, like it's meant & supposed to be. Otherwise, we would have to launch yet another suggestion round in order to finish getting it placed right, but only if we did not finish the job on the first round's discussions. B)

~D. V. "There's no question... Those goofy SMN-F Arms should have mirrored Arm Weapon Mounts modeled." Devnull

#5 Wid1046

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:24 AM

Asking for arm symmetry on a summoner in particular seems void to me. This Chassis will never play nice on your OCD Posted Image

View PostD V Devnull, on 30 July 2021 - 02:16 AM, said:

[redacted]
Never? That can only be said if people fail to stand up and do anything about requesting change. Posted Image
[redacted]

Posted Image

#6 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:38 AM

ah, yes, one of the things on the long, LONG list of weird stuff on 'Mechs that's bothered me for years and I just need some extra time to fix.

"F"

#7 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:32 AM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 30 July 2021 - 07:38 AM, said:

ah, yes, one of the things on the long, LONG list of weird stuff on 'Mechs that's bothered me for years and I just need some extra time to fix.

"F"

Don't worry, Mark, for nobody is trying to rush you! We didn't know that you're already aware, and we'll most certainly be looking forward to the modeling fix. We're just thankful to know that it's coming. :D

~D. V. "glad that the SMN-F Right Arm is already on the Fix-It List" Devnull

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:49 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 30 July 2021 - 10:25 AM, said:

you might want to read his post again.
he said it's on the list of stuff that bothers him.
I'd be careful to interpret that as "it is on a list of things that WILL be fixed"

But, he also said...

<<<snip>>> ... and I just need some extra time to fix. ... <<<snip>>>

...which makes it a lot more likely that there will be a fix in the works. Therefore, I am giving Mark some positive encouragement to wish him well, therefore hopefully increasing the possibility that it will eventually happen. There really is no reason to be negative over wanting a Modeling Fix to happen, when one can wish Mark (or if it was another person, then wish them) the best and thereby help cause a positive thing to occur in turn. ^_^

~D. V. "Really doesn't think they misread Mark's post about the SMN-F Right Arm at all... Think Positive!!!" Devnull

[Quick Edit by the Post Author for a Formatting Error... Oops!!!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 30 July 2021 - 10:50 AM.

#9 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:04 AM

"Overtly asymmetrical mech is asymmetrical."

Ahhh... It's a nice day today. Maybe I've had too much internet.

#10 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:15 AM

It took 2 years and an opportunity happening to be able to fix the timby's secondary missile mounts for SRMs. I want to do these things, I have lists of them, and probably half as many more things I've forgotten. Posts that remind us of these are good. Have a small amount of hope, as I have more opportunity now, but I advise against anyone holding their breath.

#11 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

The F pod and its builds are a joke. Since joke builds are not worthy of fielding I submit that any time spent improving their look is essentially wasted effort and comes at the cost of more important work.

Edited by Spheroid, 30 July 2021 - 03:12 PM.

#12 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 30 July 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

It took 2 years and an opportunity happening to be able to fix the timby's secondary missile mounts for SRMs. I want to do these things, I have lists of them, and probably half as many more things I've forgotten. Posts that remind us of these are good. Have a small amount of hope, as I have more opportunity now, but I advise against anyone holding their breath.

Understood, Mark! Like ol' Lockheed_ says...

View PostLockheed_, on 30 July 2021 - 11:37 AM, said:

I appreciate the clarification, Mark.
I'm rooting for you that you can make it happen at some point and fix all the things that are bothering you.

...and you also have me looking forward to any positive deliveries that you make as well, with no matter over how long that they take. Heck, if there was a Thumbs-Up Emoji on this Forum to use, then I would use some here! Hmm... That gives me an idea for a thread which I should start... Thank You, Mark!!! :D

View PostSpheroid, on 30 July 2021 - 01:06 PM, said:

The F pod and its builds are a joke. Since joke builds are not worthy of fielding I submit that any effort spent improving their look is essentially wasted effort and comes at the cost of more worthy work.

Heh... Spheroid, as someone out there used to say... "Them's Fighting Words!"... Well, I'm going to respond with "Challenge Accepted" on this... I'll go design myself an SMN-F that I can enjoy at my 'Tier 3 & 4' PSR zone, and then purchase & build it when a Sale happens that makes it possible to snag it at a good (C-Bills) price. Then the MatchMaker can put me with a good Team that I can properly be a Support for, and then provided that the MM sticks me in a Match with you on the opposite side, you'll end up seeing the weapons of a Summoner Mech that you will then definitely want the Model fixed on. Although... I guess if someone else reads this, they could beat me to the punch and then regale us about it. That would be one burn which I could chuckle about. :P

~D. V. "Wouldn't it be funny if someone gets had by an SMN-F whose own Model happened to need work?" Devnull

#13 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:32 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 30 July 2021 - 02:16 AM, said:

Never? That can only be said if people fail to stand up and do anything about requesting change. Posted Image

What I actually meant was, that the Summoner will never be a symmetrical mech, no matter what you do, because of its off-center cockpit.

#14 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:52 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 30 July 2021 - 01:06 PM, said:

The F pod and its builds are a joke. Since joke builds are not worthy of fielding I submit that any time spent improving their look is essentially wasted effort and comes at the cost of more important work.

You might be right. I cannot even remember what my F-pod build was, honestly, but I this what I was trying to go for was a splat Summoner with 3x SRM6s on the left side and a LB20X on the right and wanted the LB at the same height as the arm SRMs. But, yes there are more meta builds for the Summoner, I was just playing around in the Mech Lab late one night and noticed this.

"F"

View PostMark Nicholson, on 30 July 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

Thank you for the information. I did not realize that changes like this were already underway, and yes there are probably plenty of other 'Mechs that need hardpoint location -- and the model changes that go with it -- changes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users