10 replies to this topic

#1 Karl Carver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:50 PM

Posted Image

Been playing for a long time as you can see, Tried to buy MW5 yesterday and the install hassles were so bad i asked Microsoft store for a refund.

Is there a simple way to buy a PAK (product authorization key)
Download the game
Give it the PAK and play.

Thanks in advance for any advice

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 09:16 PM

I bought it on GOG.com and use it via GOG-Galaxy (the GOG-Launcher).
If you have a GOG-account you simply go to the storepage, buy the thing there, Galaxy will notice you have a new game and install it..ready to play.

You have also the option to simply download the installation files and install it at your discretion but you may lose some functionality that is launcher based - i have not investigated into that.

All Nexus-Mods work with it.

Dont know what could be more easy/flexible...

PS: GOG has a very generous refund policy - up to 30 days after purchase you get an easy refund (i have done it myself 1 time so far with a game that failed to meet my expectations)

"How does your updated Voluntary Refund Policy work?
The updated policy lets you refund a product up to 30 days after purchase, even if it was downloaded, launched, and played."
GOG Voluntary Refund Policy – GOG SUPPORT CENTER

Edited by Thorqemada, 15 July 2021 - 09:25 PM.

#3 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 02:24 AM

Got mine from MS, not sure what you mean by install hassles.

If you mean time due to size, well that will be on any platform.

#4 Karl Carver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:23 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 16 July 2021 - 02:24 AM, said:

Got mine from MS, not sure what you mean by install hassles.

If you mean time due to size, well that will be on any platform.

Cheers guys i appreciate the help.

With MS store we tried to purchase it on my PC since it has the big 60 inch TV hooked up. But during the install using my wifes credit card and microsoft account it wanted to install to an Xbox, even though we chose the PC option, and the alternatives were my wifes laptop or phone. (i assume her MS account is linked to those devices). It basically wanted to install anywhere but the PC we were using.

I get that the fault is me, i started with hex boards and stat sheets, im getting old and dense with age. I still buy DVD's rather than stream TV and i recently spent an entire day +%$#ing around with a wifi range extender so i could get a signal in the new dojo building out back. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth

Install for dummies is what i need, signing into various accounts (MS, steam, etc) is something i want to avoid. If i could just buy a CD like i did with MW4 Veng,Bknight,mercs etc id be happy.

Alas thats not how its done these days.

I appreciate the advice guys Thanks again

Edited by Karl Carver, 16 July 2021 - 03:25 PM.

#5 Karl Carver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:28 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 15 July 2021 - 09:16 PM, said:

You have also the option to simply download the installation files and install it at your discretion but you may lose some functionality that is launcher based - i have not investigated into that.

This sounds like what im after, i just want to install it manually and put a shortcut on the desktop, Thanks

#6 Karl Carver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:12 PM

I miss the pretty box artwork too. There was something wonderful about buying these in the shops and taking them home. I still have the free posters.......

Posted Image

Edited by Karl Carver, 16 July 2021 - 10:13 PM.

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,368 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 01:23 AM

Oh yeah, the good old days when you got a nice box made of carton with a nice print on it and a good smell plus the goodies in it including some manuals that exceed in information quality of modern shoolbooks and in artistic quality...well...i loved them and i cared for them.

As soon they switched to CD/DVD Boxes made of plastic with next to no manual and stuff they became mundane to me and i allways wished that they would switch to complete digital dowload bcs i see cd/dvd boxes as waste of space and material bar every quality that made the cardbox era special and worthwhile.

For visual goodies the MW5 Dropship Collection comes with 52 graphics you can use as desktop backgound i guess - i never looked into it.

Edited by Thorqemada, 17 July 2021 - 01:24 AM.

#8 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:17 AM

View PostKarl Carver, on 16 July 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

With MS store we tried to purchase it on my PC since it has the big 60 inch TV hooked up. But during the install using my wifes credit card and microsoft account it wanted to install to an Xbox, even though we chose the PC option,

Rather odd, I did not have that.
Perhaps someone at the Microsoft Community can help with that.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 05:29 PM

ive had luck with mechvm and various mw4 games in windows 7. mech 3 seems to run on anything though with the right tweaks, had it running on win 8.1, haven't tried on 10. running them on a vm is also an option. dosbox for the old dos games. i think the mech commander games had source ports, though im not sure if they've been brought up to win10 compatibility.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 July 2021 - 05:38 PM.

#10 Karl Carver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 05:32 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 17 July 2021 - 01:23 AM, said:

Oh yeah, the good old days when you got a nice box made of carton with a nice print on it and a good smell plus the goodies in it including some manuals that exceed in information quality of modern shoolbooks and in artistic quality...well...i loved them and i cared for them.

Yeah, The crescent hawks revenge manual, was a mini TRO in its own right with some nice history and canon as the intro

example of the manual here for those who havent seen it

https://www.worthpoi...enge-2002105459

Edited by Karl Carver, 18 July 2021 - 05:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users