An Underapreciated Review Of Mw5 (Including The (In)Famous Upside Down Tank)

5 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:44 PM

Stumbled over this YT review and thought it deserved more views:

Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries Review (2021) | An Underrated Gem - YouTube

Edited by Thorqemada, 01 August 2021 - 02:47 PM.

#2 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:43 AM

He got some stuff wrong.

#3 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:50 AM

He offers a view of a person that is not a nerd and up to date with everything Battletech but someone who has vage memories about playing Mechwarrior games casualy in the past and what perception that gives to such a players.

You would expect that he is not adept with every detail and may get things get mixed up at times but especially that is helpful information to understand how well the game is received by this kind of player.

#4 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:06 PM

I also know the truth about a game where at least 1 God Mode mod is made.

This game has one.

All those people posting here that MW5 is 'a great experience' need to learn.

#5 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:35 PM

Depends on what you understand as the definition of "great experience".

I really feel that MW5 came out better than i expected (with the DLC included ofc) and that it was an entertaining experience.
Atm i wait for some mods to be updated but some things i like much better than in MWO,
It has combined Warfare albeit in an Arcade way but mods alter that experience.
It like the stream missiles and burst fire ACs - i like that i can have mods making missiles look imrpessive with all their kablammo and smoke trails.
You have the albeit rudamentary business part that is totaly misssing in MWO.
You have these lore based tasks and quests i totaly like to play for the immersion in the universe.
The AI can be handled, like shepherded but it can be handled and can perform basic tasks.
The Mechs look great and i like that the Mechlab is not free cake for anything but makes variants matters albeit it lacks a reward mechanism that opens up the options the more you become successful or respected - i want to create my own Hero Mech but i do not want it be a mundane thing i want it to be a high stakes reward.
I do play this game to immerse myself deeper in the adventure of being a mechwarrior mercenary in general and not solely for the combat.

So, i think MW5 is a worthwhile experience that can be enhanced to really high levels of satisfaction using a collection of mods as you like.

I hope Merctech especially gets on track bcs i feel it is the most game enhancing mod.
I would love to have ammunition cconsumption and equipment maintenance that if disregarded hampers the performance of my Mechs.

I think MW5 offers what MWO does not offer and i think that is a great thing.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:22 PM

The Views of that Video have increased ~20 times (to ~8k5) since Kestrel Lancers was released.

I guess that means that MW5 now got a much better public visiblity which can only be a good thing!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users