Patch Notes - 1.4.245.0 - 24-August-2021

267 replies to this topic

#261 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:19 PM

There are maps in the MWO that I really dislike. But the new HPG causes only disgust in me, the strongest disgust. Literally every drop on this map, I struggle with the temptation to simply leave the battle, without even taking a step from the spawning place.
Thx, PGI, for giving me new emotions.
Special thanks for killing a good map.

#262 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:40 PM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 07 September 2021 - 04:19 PM, said:

There are maps in the MWO that I really dislike. But the new HPG causes only disgust in me, the strongest disgust. Literally every drop on this map, I struggle with the temptation to simply leave the battle, without even taking a step from the spawning place.
Thx, PGI, for giving me new emotions.
Special thanks for killing a good map.

At the very least they should bring HPG classic back into the rotation.

#263 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 07 September 2021 - 04:40 PM, said:

At the very least they should bring HPG classic back into the rotation.

I am afraid in this case, if two HPG maps fall into the vote at the same time, the vote results will not be in favor of the new map.
Apparently, the PGI is afraid of the same

#264 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:25 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 07 September 2021 - 05:19 PM, said:

I am afraid in this case, if two HPG maps fall into the vote at the same time, the vote results will not be in favor of the new map.
Apparently, the PGI is afraid of the same

That's what the multiplier is for. Anyone who wants to play the new map can save up a x12 multiplier, then it'll win. :)

#265 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:34 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 06 September 2021 - 07:54 AM, said:

missile door delay sucked and just made mechs with them way more irritating to use for no good reason

Not really... and certainly not when using LRMs (which nearly all of them come with, by default, with just a few exceptions). If you played the same 'mech more than three matches in a row, you started to be able to anticipate the delay and unconsciously plan around it. It also provided for more strategic thinking from moment to moment: you could plan ahead for a low-delay shot by opening the doors manually. Then you could close them again for the damage reduction. There was a notable give-and-take there, that made those 'mechs more interesting.

They definitely looked more logical, not firing missiles THROUGH the doors. The instantaneous ballistic and energy shots from various sizes of Crabs don't even run into that issue, because the required door travel distance is so incredibly small as to be clear of the fire path before the projectile has made it out of the gun barrel, or even before there's any visible indication of light penetrating the claw. Missile doors cover a MUCH larger surface, and have to travel MUCH further, so it looks super ridiculous to have them open after the missiles have already left the launcher.

And there was a perfectly good reason: damage reduction on those components. If you wanted to take less damage, you put up with the delay. If you don't want to take less damage, you open the doors, and no delay. Voila.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 09 September 2021 - 11:35 AM.

#266 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 09 September 2021 - 03:11 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 09 September 2021 - 11:34 AM, said:

<<<snip>>>

And there was a perfectly good reason: damage reduction on those components. If you wanted to take less damage, you put up with the delay. If you don't want to take less damage, you open the doors, and no delay. Voila.

Among other things, your thoughts show one of the inherent natural reasons that the Lock Times and Missile Spread should both have NEVER been ruined. But we have people who don't get it, going "Oh no, we can't have Lock-On Missiles that could ever actually compete with Ballistics/Energy/'Non-Locking Missiles' here!" even when Lock-On Missiles are supposed to be equal in BattleTech/MechWarrior games... Beginning to think we have too many in the Community at this time who are trying to kill MWO by pushing anyone with physical disabilities and/or a slow computer (and, in that situation, simply can not afford to upgrade) permanently out to pasture. <_<

And here I was, wanting to rebuild the size of the Player Base up again to what it was back around the December 2015 time period... Oh well... *sigh* -_-

~D. V. "knows too many whiners don't understand Lock-Ons were balanced before any Nerfs happened" Devnull

[Minor correction by the Post's Author for a wording error that needed help... All fixed now!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 09 September 2021 - 03:13 PM.

#267 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:29 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 09 September 2021 - 03:11 PM, said:

Among other things, your thoughts show one of the inherent natural reasons that the Lock Times and Missile Spread should both have NEVER been ruined. But we have people who don't get it, going "Oh no, we can't have Lock-On Missiles that could ever actually compete with Ballistics/Energy/'Non-Locking Missiles' here!" even when Lock-On Missiles are supposed to be equal in BattleTech/MechWarrior games...

That particular design decision was made by PGI, long, long before the Cauldron was a thing.

Edited by Horseman, 10 September 2021 - 06:29 AM.

#268 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:26 PM

View PostHorseman, on 10 September 2021 - 06:29 AM, said:

That particular design decision was made by PGI, long, long before the Cauldron was a thing.

Yes, but it was done as a direct result of community complaints.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users