Blue Shield Pfd: Y/n?

10 replies to this topic

#1 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 10:35 AM

First things first: Sarna's entry on the Blue Shield Particle Field Dampener, which is as close as BattleTech has ever and will ever come to an energy shield.

To summarize: In tabletop canon, the Blue Shield PFD is an Inner Sphere-exclusive technology that takes up one slot in the left and right arms, legs, and torsos of a BattleMech as well as one slot in the CT, so seven slots total, and weighs three tons in aggregate. The system can operate for up to one minute without risk of failure; after that minute the system starts getting choked with debris and risks shutdown. The system has to be cleaned out between uses to reset; unlike M.A.S.C., the bar doesn't go back down mid-mission. While active, the Blue Shield PFD cuts all damage from any PPC-related source in half.

My question is this: would you use a Blue Shield PFD, and if so under what situations/circumstances?

The system is obviously too heavy and bulky for any Inner Sphere light 'Mech and many mediums, but the ability to flip it on and off and husband your activation limit makes it pretty versatile. For long-range trader 'Mechs in the heavy and assault brackets, the Blue Shield acts as a heavy deterrent against some of the most dangerous such builds. The Clan ER PPC is particularly common and dangerous on many a Clan design, but cutting its pinpoint damage down to 5 and reducing its splash to negligible amounts means it suddenly becomes very easy for a Blue Shield-equipped Sphere machine to win long-range trades against Clan ER PPC-armed enemies. Or even other Sphere PPC boats.

I think the real benefit would be for ERLL or Gauss machines that can more easily spare the slots and weight, or even possibly for brawler-type 'Mechs that can use the Blue Shield to try and close in. Fast brawler-striker-type 'Mechs that want to hit and fade rather than get stuck in and may be able to use the Blue Shield to reduce damage from snappy pinpoint builds.

The drawbacks, of course, are that it weighs three frickin' tons and takes up seven freaking slots. The effect is quite potent, much more impactful against PPCs than AMS is against enemy missiles, but still. The Blue Shield is quite resource-intensive considering its function is fairly narrow, and people already tend to complain that AMS - at half the weight and a quarter of the slot investment, is a waste of good shootin' tonnage.

What do you lot think? Would the Blue Shield make its way onto your 'Mechs? If so, which ones? What do you think would make the Blue Shield a compelling option to consider for those 'Mechs able to equip it?

#2 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 August 2021 - 12:29 PM

I know i mentioned it in that other thread, but the blue shield i might leave out.

Back in ye olde days, Magic the gathering had a lot of cards that "hosed" specific colours. Matches ended up being an elaborate and unfun rock-paper-scissors. They stopped printing those cards a long time ago.

Additionally, I don't think ER PPCs are all that pervasive right now. I'd instead favour things like reactive/reflective armour, where the costs and benefits are felt not just in the mechlab, but on the field. I suppose you could make the same argument for blue shields since they're so large and heavy, but I don't know if they would feel as good.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 August 2021 - 12:33 PM

I wouldn't use it because there are other weapons that are going to hit you at those ranges besides just PPCs. Reflective armor is objectively better because it helps you against ALL energy weapons.

#4 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 12:53 PM

Sure, and I'd prefer the armor options myself. That said? The Blue Shield technically stacks with Reflective, and at that point PPCs basically stop mattering. Mostly curious because interesting, esoteric technologies like the Blue Shield fascinate me, and they'd be less obnoxious on the field than **** like Void/Null Signature or Chameleon LPSes. Which, to be fair? I could be sold on, even as a Damn Dirty Clammer™. Any options we can get in the game for unconventional combat should be treasured.

#5 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 09:22 PM

I'm not opposed to it being added, but I really can't imagine I'd ever use it at all.

You have to pay the three ton price of carrying it into every single battle you fight, but you're not going to see PPCs in every single battle, and you're going to have a lot of matches where all you've accomplished is giving yourself a three ton handicap.

#6 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 04:33 AM

This thread seems to have been posted in the wrong forum section. Therefore, I moved it to Feature Suggestions.

#7 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 06:36 AM

I mean, I was just trying to start a discussion on the subject, not suggest Piranha do it. Everybody knows Piranha won't be introducing anything new basically ever again. Blorghe.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 August 2021 - 01:49 PM

Feature Suggestions is where suggestions and discussions go to die with a whimper.

(As opposed to possibly dying with a bang in general discussion, if spicy enough).

Edited by FupDup, 25 August 2021 - 01:51 PM.

#9 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 01:50 PM

Don't I know it -_-. they may as well rename this section of the board 'Repository of Dead Words'.

#10 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 01:42 AM

Big no!

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:47 AM

i think if you do it you would have to give ppcs another round of buffs to compensate. if ppcs were top tier weapons, which a few are, then it warrants a countermeasure. but then id want to see counters for ballistic and laser weapons as well (reactive/reflective armor). maybe toys for the next timejump.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 September 2021 - 11:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users