How Do People Handle Precise Aiming And Fast Torso Twisting?

Gameplay

34 replies to this topic

#21 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 06 September 2021 - 03:32 PM

skill, i use a small wood block (a piece of cut shelf) as mouse pad

Edited by D A T A, 06 September 2021 - 03:32 PM.

#22 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:11 PM

View PostAjerWerklWerkl, on 05 September 2021 - 07:13 AM, said:

Many of the best players seem to use very low mouse sensitivity so that it's easy to aim precisely.

But then torso twisting is very slow...

How does one get the best of both worlds?

On one hand I know some people actually click a button mid-fight to change their mouse sensitivity, torso twist, and then click back down to low sensitivity... that sounds hard but I guess it can be learned.

On the other hand, the best players seem to play with a GIANT mousepad (my mouse area is like 8 inches by 8 inches and it would be tricky to set up a huge space).

Like VeeOt Dragon below, I just flick the mouse and turn my feet and that seems to get decent results. But would love better ideas! (I keep some slight acceleration on for that... what I would LOVE is a "dead zone" where there is no acceleration, and then lots of acceleration outside of that zone. That would balance precise aiming with fast torso twisting!)

Advice/thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I played all the time (six years) on sensitivity 1.0 and DPI 1200 and had low-average game efficiency.
Two years ago, I started to decrease sentivity to -0.2 and DPI -50 every month.
As a result, I reduced the sensitivity to 0.1 and DPI to 800 - after I got used to it, my game efficiency has increased a lot, and if before that headshots were an accident, now it is a regularity.

And yes, I bought a nice mouse and a LARGE mouse pad - it helps a lot.

Advice - there is a difference in the rotation of the torso when the arm lock is off (can be turned on while aiming and off when turning).

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:04 PM

View PostD A T A, on 06 September 2021 - 03:32 PM, said:

skill, i use a small wood block (a piece of cut shelf) as mouse pad

i honestly havent used a mouse pad since optical sensors became a thing. i used to always say a mouse pad was so your mouse doesn't get splinters in its balls. then they castrated all the mice. i have however had to sand the gloss out of a desk or two.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 September 2021 - 08:17 PM.

#24 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:14 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 September 2021 - 08:04 PM, said:

i honestly havent used a mouse pad since optical sensors became a thing. i used to always say a mouse pad was so your mouse doesn't get splinters in its balls. then they castrated all the mice. i have however had to sand the gloss out of a desk or two.

Same since my 1st lazor sensor mouse, no need for mouse pad IMO with good mouse and smooth table surface.

#25 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:13 PM

oh i wanted to add one more thing, i don't see it when i watch other pilots, BUT i use heavy zoom, and a target computer on my CLAN mech, i can zoom in and look at there face, i have gotten head shots, at 1100 to 1200 range, i only have total of 28 headshots, and them making maps closer range, is a PAIN.
SO go take a look, and COMPUTER for you mech, 2 most used buttons should be R for target, and V for zoom, give 2 gauss rifles a try. and then 2 large lazers, and then add skills for range, slow mouse. and hear the WHAT THE HELL, sorry he looked at me and never moved : ) at 1100 range, and died.

SAWK Clanner

#26 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 02:22 PM

A bit of a tangent, but mwo doesn't have turret stability, as in when your legs move, your torso moves instead of being fixed in place. However, when you align legs with where you're looking (default f I think), you do get stabilization. I've seen many people screw up their circle strafe because every time they rotate their legs, it messes up their aim.

#27 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 04:12 PM

LOL OK you just saw TALENT, i have played with guys, that had maybe 100 drops, that can build a mech, and play and out class folks, its like any other gift--- some just get it learns it faster, and disrupts the liner of time.
BUT there is good NEWS, it can be learned talent, in the army i helped folk learn to shoot, sometimes you have to wait, until it clicks, that is what movies are made for WOOT

SAWK Clanner

#28 HenryFA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 192 posts
  • LocationHunting down LRM assaults

Posted 11 September 2021 - 10:09 AM

Guess then I'm the ultra-high sensitive weirdo here...
Razer DeathAdder v2 Pro @ 3200 DPI
Windows mouse setting set to max
In game setting: 1

#29 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 10:29 AM

View PostHenryFA, on 11 September 2021 - 10:09 AM, said:

Guess then I'm the ultra-high sensitive weirdo here...
Razer DeathAdder v2 Pro @ 3200 DPI
Windows mouse setting set to max
In game setting: 1

Can you hit components of your choosing in enemy mechs?

#30 HenryFA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 192 posts
  • LocationHunting down LRM assaults

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:44 AM

View PostGagis, on 11 September 2021 - 10:29 AM, said:

Can you hit components of your choosing in enemy mechs?

Yep, no problem at all.

#31 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 03:52 PM

GUYS you may want to use ZOOM in your skill tree, it most useful for long shots, and clan mechs TARGET computer can boost that, i think i am up 28 headshots now, mostly with twin GUASS, and around 1000 + range, clan LARGE now can kill a head at 1200 range, i hit the guy in the chest as he lower to cover, 2 large lasers went past his head small delay, and i went to look on board sure enough score 28 : )

SAWK CLANNER

#32 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:07 PM

you know i was messing around with mouse macros, the software that comes with my new g604 is kind of nifty. perhaps a macro where i can hit the unlock when down button while simultaneously jacking up the dpi setting for the mouse, when released restore the low dpi setting for aiming. i guess this would be most useful for people who usually lock arms, just hold it down while twisting to ensure you get the max rotation rate and without having to throw the mouse as far. for people who like their arms free a high dpi when down macro can achieve the same.

#33 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:58 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 06 September 2021 - 05:37 AM, said:

I use this, too. It doesn't speed up your torso movement, though. What it does is let you cover more twist range per mouse movement.

It sure seems like it does especially in Assaults.. maybe its deceptive in the cockpit but for me it seems way faster. as you said it helps with twisting with a mouse.

I use a cheap chinese mmo mouse that works better than razers and other top brands..
Reddragon Impact.. for its price and what you get its amazing, i bought two.

Edited by MechaGnome, 12 September 2021 - 10:00 PM.

#34 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:40 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 12 September 2021 - 09:58 PM, said:

It sure seems like it does especially in Assaults.. maybe its deceptive in the cockpit but for me it seems way faster. as you said it helps with twisting with a mouse. I use a cheap chinese mmo mouse that works better than razers and other top brands.. Reddragon Impact.. for its price and what you get its amazing, i bought two.

Years ago I tested arm lock on/off with the urbie, taking advantage of the 360-degree torso rotation. IIRC, I made a script that simulated constant mouse movement in one direction, and then took videos of the Urbie spinning contantly with arm lock on and off. Then I split-screen synced the videos to show the difference.

There was a very small difference, <5% if I recall. You could only really notice it after a full 360-torso twist on the urbie. I recall thinking it was way too small to make a difference in an actual game.

#35 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:21 AM

There is no absolute difference. There is a small difference trough how small changes in mouse movement can interrupt twisting while arm lock is on while arm lock off guarantees twisting is continuous.

Best of both worlds is how mechs that have upper but no lower arm actuators behave. Mechs with locked arms should always behave like that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users