A Much Cheaper & Simpler Way To Unlock New Map Experiences? Rotate Spawn Points!

Maps

34 replies to this topic

#21 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:08 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 26 September 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

Actually its not a particularly small map, and there's lots of places fights could be interesting so, again it's one map that dies for the sins of the game modes, which encourage people to gravitate towards the ocean and/or orbit the citadel.

It's the rare fight, for example, that takes place on the airport tarmac on that map. Those are memorable.

#22 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 05:11 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 24 September 2021 - 11:46 AM, said:

You can mitigate number four with more skill buys on the Sensor tree. 100% radar deprivation keeps the rain off and does a pretty good job of deterring any sniper except one who already had you in his gunsights.

Except #4 is not always caused by LRMs.
Last week Polar Domination we had 3-4 Lights went right for the circle, only saw 1 enemy Light make it and it got promptly chased off by ours. No other enemies made it to center, match over before any bigger Mechs reached circle with only a few Lights having done any damage at all.

View PostMoldur, on 24 September 2021 - 03:16 PM, said:

I agree with OP. Alpine Peaks domination does this to an extent. I'm not saying it's great, but it does force fairly close ranged matches in a different part of the map.

Not really.
Alpine Domination has only 1 spot for cover on each side that only 1-3 Mechs can poke and duck under regularly leaving many other Mechs standing around annoyed trying to find something to do.

#23 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 28 September 2021 - 04:30 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 26 September 2021 - 07:08 PM, said:

It's the rare fight, for example, that takes place on the airport tarmac on that map. Those are memorable.

I think that since coming back I have had 2 or 3 fights up there and they have all been fun. Bar that there have been two downtown skirmishes in the river and buildings south of the Citadel, but most of it has been Citadel skirmishing and river fighting.

#24 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:30 PM

Seems like just about everyone agrees that this would be a simple solution to implement...

If you agree, can you please reply to this thread with a "+1" to help elevate its visibility to PGI and so we can start having better game experiences? Thank you!

I believe Francois and Daeron do check out the forums!

Edited by AjerWerklWerkl, 30 September 2021 - 03:40 PM.

#25 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:17 PM

View PostAjerWerklWerkl, on 30 September 2021 - 03:30 PM, said:

Seems like just about everyone agrees that this would be a simple solution to implement...

If you agree, can you please reply to this thread with a "+1" to help elevate its visibility to PGI and so we can start having better game experiences? Thank you!

I believe Francois and Daeron do check out the forums!

simple? idk about that. I have no idea how much of the game modes are hard coded and gross.

good? absolutely.

+1

#26 Scythe Kagato

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 06:14 PM

You'd think that this would be a thing, especially on the huge maps like Alpine and Polar, but, nope. I'd be interested in some "heat maps" of these large maps to show just how many grid squares go unused.

#27 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:31 AM

View PostAjerWerklWerkl, on 23 September 2021 - 06:16 AM, said:

I really appreciate the work that PGI (particularly François) and others are putting into improving maps!

But there is a much simpler, cheaper way to give people new gameplay experiences on the existing maps: rotate the spawn points!!!

Put the domination circle/bases in a few different spots. Spawn both teams off to the sides but just on the edge of being able to see each other so they don't automatically run to the middle of the map...

Domination circle rotation happens sometimes on Alpine Peaks, and it would be perfect on lots of other big maps too, including the new Polar Highlands and Grim Plexus. It's so silly to have giant maps where ~8 tiles in the middle are used for the gameplay and the rest are all used for... WALKING!

Surely this has been explored, but even if there are details to sort out, it seems much easier to do that than to redo entire maps, after which the community ends up split on whether the improvements are even good!

Thoughts? Tx!

in order that there would be no nascars, and so that players would use the entire space of the map, it is not necessary to change the mechanics of the circle of dominance, but in general, completely the mechanics of maps and mods

I think that all maps and mods in QP should be done as follows - only ONE mod:
domination + conquest + incursion

in the center of the map - a circle of domination
around the map (at the edges) 4-6 conquest point
two bases - like incursion

you can win in three ways:
1.get the points advantage (the one who holds the circle of domination = gets +1 point per second) controlling the conquest points
2.destroy the enemy base
3.kill all enemy mechs + have a point advantage + cause more damage to the enemy base

as a result - everyone will have their own task and their own goal
the dynamics of the game will change, because there will be more opportunities to win and lose

it will also give afk and disco the opportunity to return to life without the risk of being killed

Edited by Rkshz, 02 October 2021 - 01:34 AM.

#28 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:19 AM

That would need coding.. PGI has a phobia against coding.

#29 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:34 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 04 October 2021 - 01:19 AM, said:

Fixing the gamemodes is worth the trouble.

#30 Commoners

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:38 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 04 October 2021 - 01:19 AM, said:

The big thing is the coding bottleneck, yeah. I think it's pretty safe to assume that a lot of the game is held together or limited by its construction of paperclips and shoestrings.

Writing out a system like this seems like it'd be pretty easy, but actually implementing it would mean that PGI would need to shell out money to programmers to actually manifest it in the code.

#31 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:52 PM

I can assure you as a computer scientist that this proposed fix is many times easier than the approach PGI is using now, which is paying a level designer to redo all the existing maps... and THEN USE ONLY THE CENTER OF THOSE MAPS FOR GAMEPLAY!

That is such an expensive approach that wastes all the fun areas of all the existing maps.

#32 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:00 AM

(Bumping this thread since a patch is coming tomorrow and PGI is more likely to be watching the forums...)

PGI, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implement this for the next patch!!!

#33 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:03 AM

View PostAjerWerklWerkl, on 18 October 2021 - 07:00 AM, said:

(Bumping this thread since a patch is coming tomorrow and PGI is more likely to be watching the forums...)

PGI, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implement this for the next patch!!!

oh dude even if they adopted this as a priority it'd take some time.

#34 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:58 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 18 October 2021 - 07:03 AM, said:

oh dude even if they adopted this as a priority it'd take some time.

That's true... Posted Image BUT -- as I'm arguing in this thread, making NEW MAPS is literally 10x more expensive (probably much more)... I'm very familiar with the game industry, programming, and content creation. It's a really bad choice to me to spend big $ reworking old maps or creating NEW maps (!!!) instead of fixing spawn points.

I promise that it is literally 10 to 100 times cheaper and faster to pick a few new spawn points.

Support for multiple spawns per map ALREADY EXISTS!!! So this is not a dreamy request at all. I'm literally just asking PGI to pick a few other locations that are NOT SYMMETRIC TO THE CENTER.

Edited by AjerWerklWerkl, 18 October 2021 - 07:59 AM.

#35 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:34 AM

I've been saying this for months so you won't get pushback from me. They do have only one full time map guy though, so temper your expectations.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users