Mw5 Was Running After Update, But Adding The New Dlc Is Causing A Ctd Freeze.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:55 PM

I deleted the Mods, but I never get to the start screen to disable the Mods either. It ran fine after updating at least to start a new campaign with no Mods in use, up to when you speak with Farhad, so I went and bought Kestral Lancers. It installed through Epic Games, but now it locks up right before the game options/ new campaign screen loads. It can't seem to do that and I have to ctrl-alt-delete back to the Desktop.

Now I do use Windows 7 x64pro, but that is what was required when I bought the game, still in it's conception phase. It worked fine earlier.

I really don't want to have to do a complete reinstall. The dang thing was running till I bought Kestral Lancers.

#2 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:16 PM

Ah Ha! For some reason I had to start MW5 through the games library in Epic Games instead of the shortcut. At least the first time.

#3 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:49 PM

And, now it doesn't start. Not from the Desktop, not from the Epic Games Launcher.

I guess uninstall and reinstall, that will take a day. Then if it doesn't work I may want a Steam version to replace the Epic Games version or a refund. Obviously my computer runs it fine, I had Kestral Lancers running fine with very high frame rates. I saved it and logged off to go do some things and now it's back to a black screen CTD just when the options/start campaign screen is about to load.

BTW, there are no Mods loaded and I wiped my old saves.

Meh, at least MechWarrior 4 Mercs works... Vengeance and Black Knight too. ;)

Edited by Lightfoot, 27 October 2021 - 05:08 PM.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:02 PM

just remove the config files. go to '%appdata%\..\Local\MW5Mercs\Saved\' and delete the config folder. i had to do this to get my performance back. you can leave all the save folders though.

#5 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:13 PM

I think I did that. I am re-installing the game. It seems like it's some Epic Games bug. Epic Games has a start-up bug already. I re-installed Epic Games once as prompted by the error, but the error persists. The MechWarrior 5/ Kestral Lancers runs fine on my PC when I can sneak it past the crash bug so it's some scripting error from Epic Games I am thinking. I don't know why Epic games can't just update itself in the background like Steam, but I have stopped buying from them.

Of course if Piranha Games would fix it that works too.

Edited by Lightfoot, 27 October 2021 - 08:15 PM.

#6 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 29 October 2021 - 03:40 AM

omg.... I reinstall from Epic Games, game runs fine again. Then I try to add a mod from Epic Games website and the CTD is back. I uninstall the mod from Epic Games and get it from Nexus with the time stamp of 10/22, ready for the new DLC, but now Epic Games can't see the Mods Folder to activate. I tell the game to open the Mods folder and there is the mod file, I tell the game to refresh the mod list. Now it works. The game and the mod.

I can't see why I had to do a full reinstall, but it worked. If that is any help.

Edited by Lightfoot, 29 October 2021 - 06:45 AM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 04:49 PM

i guess you need to nuke the whole site from orbit to get the one file causing all the problems. i didnt have to do a full reinstall but i did have to delete a lot of stuff.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 October 2021 - 04:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users