Is There Any Way To Increase The Font Size?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 09:10 PM

At 100% UI scaling and 1600x900 resolution, the font size in missions is so small i practically cant read them. Especially the weapon names and the target info (e.g. the mech variant names when you target a mech).

They are so small its ridiculous...its really weird coming from MWO where everything is perfectly readable and in MW5 its so small...

I tried looking for UI mods but all i found on moddb were a bunch of mods that warned they did not work with the latest patch.

I tried editing engine.ini :

[/Script/Engine.UserInterfaceSettings]
ApplicationScale=1.1

But application scales of about 1.25 cause UI elements to appear off-screen, and 1.1 still doesnt make the text large enough.

The game has been out for quite a while hasnt it? Even had an expansion? Why isnt this fixed yet?

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 09:45 PM

Well, that is a common sin that is another reason i am not moving to 4k gaming bcs some clueless UI coders can not fathom how to make good scalable UIs that work a different resolutions at the size (area and especially font) you want to have it.

And half of the time they try to make it work it becomes a blurry mess bcs its not aligned with the resolution but some weird interpolation.

Utmost frustrating!

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 06:31 PM

Even in MWO at 1600 x 900 some things are not readable.

It has become a trend in gaming for whatever reason to keep making smaller fonts, hopefully some developers will listen and stop doing this.

#4 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 01:17 PM

it is only stubbernitittiy what ever.
There are TONS of liberaries and guideline for programing vector-based UIs since... AMIGA !

But guess who never cared, exact. PC-Game-Programers.

They do not even give the control to the user to put their own Fonts in games!!!

STubernniitity what ever that f... english word is written... ;)

#5 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 01:51 PM

View PostSeelenlos, on 13 November 2021 - 01:17 PM, said:

But guess who never cared, exact. PC-Game-Programers.

I guess you can extrend that to most likely all platforms. Can't remember concoles doing something like that. Mostly because they have fixed resolutions while the PC is the sole platform where people actualy use different screen sizes.

Also, creating a UI that works for different resolutions is difficulte. At least when it still has to look good and all the elements are still where they should be.

I had looked into adaptive interfaces for websites quite some time ago. TL:DR the automatic systems back then where a total mess and doing it yourself could give you headaches.

Its so much easier to work with a fixed resolution and tell people to adapt. Thats why there are a fuÜÜ ton of websites that are still designed around 1024 x XY resolution. Because its in most cases the smallest common factor, even if most people have moved on from that but then you have cellphones and everything gets even more screwed up because they sometimes have exotic formats ^_^

Also about the fonts. There are some legal issues to concider. Some of those fonts cost a lot to license.
Then comes the problems that might happen when a player changes stuff around, using a font that he legaly shouldn't and does a screenshot that ends up in the internet.
There are people out there searching for any kind of glitchup that they could exploit for legal reasons, even if such a case wouldn't make it to curt, its a hell of paperwork for a company.

That is why companies try to lock you out of fiddleing around with their stuff.

That is at least to my knowledge.

A bit back to topic. I use a 3440x1440 resolution and its just fine to read. Also hardly have any problems with MWO, except for everything in purple. That color I have real trouble with. Maybe that is why I don't like it ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users