Nevermind, Joystick Just Bit The Dust. Oh No!

T16000m RZ torso twist drifting bug

5 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 October 2021 - 06:43 PM

Nevermind, my joystick of 5 years just chose this moment to bite the dust.

Edited by Lightfoot, 31 October 2021 - 08:00 PM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:25 AM

im of the opinion that a joystick doesn't die until at least 90% of the parts have been replaced.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 November 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#3 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:52 AM

While there are still some HOTAS Bundles out the offering of more simplistic Joysticks, especially symmetric Joysticks that can be used with the left and the right hand (like the Logitech Attack 3), have become abysmal.

Outside of the HOTAS niche PC Joysticks are pretty much extinct...

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 11:29 AM

there are a few high end modular systems that ive seen out there (even ones with left hand sticks). but were talking expensive controllers here. you might as well go to an aircraft boneyard or heavy equipment scrappers and find something you can rig up with sensors and use in game. i found a number of cast aluminum gimbal sets and managed to convert over a couple of them and they work really well in mw2.

#5 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:22 AM

Was the twist axis that failed. The rest is okay, maybe save it for rudder pedals someday. Fortunately the price on the t16000m dropped to only $10 over regular price. A month ago the cheapest was $90 over regular price, which for a $45- $60 joystick would be insane.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:07 PM

im one of those people who think that the twist axis is the least useful feature of a stick. of course people who say that usually have pedals. its no more accurate than just using buttons, and it introduces cosine error into the z,y axes. there are a few places where twist handles are nice to have.

my throttle handle on my up stairs desk. a long running joke where i integrate enough controls into an old particle board desk as possible where every control is functional. the throttle axis is a long metal handle on a heavy duty potentiometer. i was going to print me some grips, however i found an old saitek cyborg in the dumpster. i went and salvaged the grips. this stick had a very customizable set of grips where you could easily configure it to be either a left or right handed stick, i configured it for a left, added some extra controls to it (3d printed bracket adds a second hat switch and an extra potentiometer). the twist handle was useful since it doesnt really impede the rather long throw of the entire lever. i use this in my legs axis for mw2.

with the right handed control being a frictioned 2 axis (one of the aluminum surplus gimbals with no centering mechanism), since mw2 has proportional control for its torso yaw/pitch and the adc is rather high resolution, it makes for some of the most accurate shooting ive been able to do with a joystick. its a shame mwo/5 doesnt support that kind of control. i also sometimes use it for kerbal since that game gives you an alarming level of control config in game if you were so inclined to do so.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 November 2021 - 04:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users