Rare Weapons Strange Oo?

6 replies to this topic

#1 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:52 PM

i am puzzeled about rare weapons in MW5 mercs.
An rare, tier 3 ac20 has the exact same stats as an standard, tier 3 ac20.
but a rare tier 3 ac20 costs around 1,4 millionen while a standard tier 3 ac20 only costs 740k.
Is there some hidden ability of rare weapons that justify their x2 price tag or is
this just wierd (lazy) gamedesign.
like: you can buy a rolex watch or a regular watch of the same quality.
the "advantage" of the rolex is simple: reduce your wealth exeptionally faster in comparsion to a sane purchase desition.

Edited by 1312SHR1312, 04 November 2021 - 03:53 PM.

#2 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:18 PM

OK, the 'rare' weapon IS the standard weapon.
It is marked 'rare' in stores because it is rare to find in stores but it is still the standard one.
Typically you find weapons of lower tiers thus higher ones get marked 'rare' but are actually the standard ones.

#3 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:31 AM

actually i think the "Rare" tag is that they are hard to find in that particular system where in another they might be more common. remember that in BT not every planet has the same tech base. some worlds have greater manufacturing capability than others. you would expect to find that Tier 3 auto cannon on a world that has a high industrial base but on a agricultural world such things would be very hard to come by thus the higher price.

same goes for mechs, if you are in say House Marik space you aren't likely to find a Dragon for sale (in Lore the Dragon was almost exclusively used by House Korita). this means that that mech would show up as a "rare" mech and be more expensive because its not something that is manufactured in Marik space.

its sort of like the difference between going right to the factory and buying from them as opposed to buying the same product at a retail store half way around the world. that store has to have that items shipped to them so they have to increase the price not only to cover the extra shipping but to make a profit on it as well.

worlds in BT range from almost iron age tech base all the way up to mega city worlds with high end manufacturing facilities. the vast majority of worlds in BT have been reduced to something more akin to our current tech base due to constant warfare blasting the industrial base into shrapnel. there are entire worlds that are no longer habitable because at some point or another they were essential glassed with nukes from orbit (honestly i would love to see a map that is a ruined Mega city, you already have those bombed out ruins of cities on some maps so the models are already there. perhaps you are there over rumors of an old weapons or equipment cache that may still be intact only to find another faction has the same idea so you fight their mechs for it). Lost Tech is a thing because the schematics and ability to manufacture certain systems were lost when the companies that made them were obliterated..

hell whole wars were fought just over Catapult PARTS let alone complete mechs.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 06:12 AM

rare is like new in factory box, and common are the used crappy parts from the scrap pile.

#5 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:39 AM

nah i figure Tier 0 weapons are the ones from the scrap pile while the Tier 1s are "like new" or refurbished parts.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 02:26 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 13 November 2021 - 08:39 AM, said:

nah i figure Tier 0 weapons are the ones from the scrap pile while the Tier 1s are "like new" or refurbished parts.

would be something:

E - new in box with packing date from before the first succession war.
4 - new parts from reconstructed factory putting out a crude re-production of a design from the helm core.
3 - factory (not star league) refurbished well-used parts.
2 - used well-maintained parts from a professional arms dealer.
1 - parts from a junk dealer that bothered to test everything before putting a price tag on it.
0 - something found by the side of the road and by some miracle of technicianship or percussive maintenance with a sledge hammer combined with luck somehow still performs its intended function to an acceptable degree.

of course quality is a lot different than rarity. a lot of rare things are rare because they were considered obsolete trash items. and long periods of neglect or reckless disposal cause their numbers to diminish. take old game consoles. for awhile they were considered a trash item until they became rare enough to be valuable again. that does not mean they are as capable as more contemporary equivalents. of course a brand new star league medium laser in factory box with the shrink wrap still on is definitely rare, of course that doesn't mean that's the thing you are going to get.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 November 2021 - 02:59 PM.

#7 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:01 AM

The term rare is kinda missleading in MW5 as gamers are used to rare = better.
Ironicly PGI used the term rare correctly it seams, which is not how games do it Posted Image

@Lordnothing
I would love to see Fahad drolling over an E-class item in the mechbay and when you tell him to strap that to your mess of an old mech he goes full on cat like, hissing at you and trying to scratch you. Damn that would be funny.

Man MW5 needs some crew interaction like that. Espacialy give the hired mechwarriors a face and some dialog when you meet them at the mechbay. Hell go full Mass Effect and let you talk to these people. I wouldn't mind if they had to throw out the entire hiring process and you would have to pick these guys up along the journey if I would have characters around me I care for.

Edited by Nesutizale, 15 November 2021 - 01:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users