Unlimited Ammo Event Question

12 replies to this topic

#1 jiggyjiggy

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 12:08 PM

The last time there was an unlimited ammo event you didn't need to equip any ammo at all just the weapons themselves. I just tried this with the current event, and it said I couldn't join because of invalid builds.

Do we now need to equip a little ammo for each weapon system or what?

#2 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 December 2022 - 12:37 PM

Pretty sure you have already answered your own question.

You have to have ammo equipped for weapons or you get an invalid loadout.

#3 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 December 2022 - 01:24 PM

A half ton per weapon system is much better than multiple tons and will let you cram in more dakka or whooosh.

You can make silly builds like this.

bas-a

dwf-wc

Edited by Meep Meep, 18 December 2022 - 01:29 PM.

#4 VaMPHuNT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 18 December 2022 - 04:30 PM

Think there's either something wrong with rockets, or they were stealth changed. Reload time is now closer to one or two minutes.

#5 jiggyjiggy

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 04:42 PM

I guess that means no more rocket fights...

sad panda face

#6 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 06:44 PM

View PostVaMPHuNT, on 18 December 2022 - 04:30 PM, said:

Think there's either something wrong with rockets, or they were stealth changed. Reload time is now closer to one or two minutes.

Really? It would be cool if they did that all the time.

#7 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 01:44 AM

View PostVaMPHuNT, on 18 December 2022 - 04:30 PM, said:

Rockets aren't meant to reload, they are one and done weapons.

#8 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 02:55 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 18 December 2022 - 01:24 PM, said:

You can make silly builds like this.

dwf-c Posted Image

View Postjiggyjiggy, on 18 December 2022 - 04:42 PM, said:

I guess that means no more rocket fights...
sad panda face

Well it was stupidly broken so not bad ninja change IMO.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 08:28 AM

yep, compared the most recent Weapons.xml to an old version (not sure which one), cd is now set to 90 seconds. probibly done specifically to fix the rocket launcher problem in eq. i suggested something like that but it was such an obvious fix i cant really take credit.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 December 2022 - 08:32 AM.

#10 VaMPHuNT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 19 December 2022 - 08:34 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 December 2022 - 01:44 AM, said:

Rockets aren't meant to reload, they are one and done weapons.

Well in the last unlimited ammo/extreme heat dissipation event queue they worked just fine. This wouldn't be an issue if PGI had made some sort of statement or put something somewhere within the last six months of patch notes indicating that the reload time for them had been set higher. But point of fact, there wasn't, which means I dropped 15m cbills buying and fitting mechs specifically to run rockets as part of the event due to not knowing the reload time (Which 99% of the time doesn't matter due to being one-and-done weapons) had been changed. First drop I got into I was practically dead weight due to the stealth change.

If it had been noted, wouldn't have wasted cbills.

Event queue is supposed to bring something different and fun to the game, not just more of the same QP with just more armor, more speed, or unlimited jump jets. Why not allow an often-unused weapon system to be utilized for fun once in a while? I only really come back to the game for those moments these days, relying on eleven other people in QP to have more than two brain cells between their ears to have any shot at winning is like trying to find a unicorn.

#11 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 09:38 AM

View PostVaMPHuNT, on 19 December 2022 - 08:34 AM, said:

Why not allow an often-unused weapon system to be utilized for fun once in a while?

Because stupidly OP, maybe fun for you not fun for anyone not using those.
Other kind of builds get buffed a little bit because they can get a bit bigger guns one more gun or heatsinks instead of ammo, bigger engine...
Rocketlaunchers with few second cooldown is insanely good, yeah maybe not 120 second cooldown instead something like 30 or 60 seconds or so but with few seconds long cooldown how do you balance or fight against any of these with almost any other kind of build if/when they get into range?
jvn-10p
dv-fr
crd-7l

edit: Should they have put that cooldown nerf into patchnotes or event queue post? Yes but those RL needed cooldown.

Edited by Curccu, 19 December 2022 - 09:42 AM.

#12 VaMPHuNT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 19 December 2022 - 09:51 AM

View PostCurccu, on 19 December 2022 - 09:38 AM, said:

Because stupidly OP, maybe fun for you not fun for anyone not using those.
Other kind of builds get buffed a little bit because they can get a bit bigger guns one more gun or heatsinks instead of ammo, bigger engine...
Rocketlaunchers with few second cooldown is insanely good, yeah maybe not 120 second cooldown instead something like 30 or 60 seconds or so but with few seconds long cooldown how do you balance or fight against any of these with almost any other kind of build if/when they get into range?
jvn-10p
dv-fr
crd-7l

edit: Should they have put that cooldown nerf into patchnotes or event queue post? Yes but those RL needed cooldown.

I never denied the fact they were OP during the original event given that's what it basically turned into. I'm just saying some sort of mention should have been made at some point that the cooldown was changed. That being said, 90 seconds is just a bit extreme, and I can safely say I'm not the only one who got into the first match and was surprised at how worthless the builds they'd made were. I know for a fact there were at least four or five other people in that first drop alone on my team who commented.

A cooldown of closer to 15-20 seconds would have been much more reasonable, allowed them to be useful, but not super overpowered.

Edited by VaMPHuNT, 19 December 2022 - 09:51 AM.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 10:58 AM

if you are using something that is op to win, and everyone else is going to do likewise (hell i did), then that thing is going to be obviously op and thus subject to nerfs. the purpose of the event was not to let everyone run rocket launchers, but it quickly became a one or two build game which was clearly not the intent. i have no problem if they are going to have an event that explicitly buffs rockets, but a catch all like unlimited ammo should buff all ammo weapons equally, and in the case of rocket launchers just turned them into an instagib murder device that obsoleted all other possible builds. im fine with modes like that too, provided that is the intent of the event.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 December 2022 - 11:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users