38 replies to this topic

#21 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,669 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:13 PM

Doesn't that game have cross play, so there is PS4, Xbox One, and PC players, And for PC Players, most would be logging directly via EA or Origin, and Steam. Doing it thru Steam which then > EA which would then be the only time it is counted in Steam....

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 December 2021 - 09:17 PM.

#22 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:41 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 December 2021 - 04:47 PM, said:

Also while things are grinding my gears, what the **** is it with people slamming MWO and Piranha as somehow amateur? Yeah they did not always do what players wanted, but somehow they kept the lights on for a niche mech sim for close to a decade, when maaaany other such games have crashed and burned. I would say MWO is quite a good game, and very much without rival.

On that part I have to agree. PGI might have done quite some stuff where you shake your head like why did it take so long to get the balance to a better place with the help of the community, etc.

Still I like MWO, its fun to play every once in a while, so yah they did something right.

The basic gameplay is good. For me its the best mech game from how the battles feel, what is missing on every part is some polish. Little stuff like the UI, updateing weapon discriptions, explain some of the mechanics better for new players.

Ghostheat and minimal range seam to be completly ignored by new players. Then we have bigger points like the skilltree, also everyone seams to have its idea for it that differes wildly from the others.

Then the real big problems that need to be solved like performance, graphic updates, mode updates/refinement, factionplay.

PGI made a solid basis and did that well. They need to refine the stuff and bashing constantly on them won't make that happen. The cooperation with the cauldron is a much better way.

Edited by Nesutizale, 05 December 2021 - 01:43 AM.

#23 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 December 2021 - 03:46 AM

I love Star Wars. but something about Squadrons felt off to me.. Like a game that was missing a lot, so i never purchased it.. Also the pre order stuff seemed like a micro-transaction game.

MWO is one of the last multiplayer games i play. I tend to avoid modern multiplayers.

#24 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 05:11 AM

1. EA 2. Ruined Franchise. 3. Game requires things that some peeps dont have the money and/or time to afford. 4. Different gameplay entirely one is ground combat vs air combat and the former tends to be more popular with the average player.

#25 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 05:12 AM

well, let's not get the destruction of the SW-franchise mixed up with the 'limited success' of SwSquadrons;

we all who bought it got it, fully aware and not caring about the many, many things they did to ruin SW. and as a 'SW Flightsim', it does it's job very well, imo.
meaning it's 'sim-y' enough to take it serious, and it's a fast paced shooter everywhere we SW-fans expect and want it to be.

my biggest concerns with the game is that it's really repetetive in "what you do in general", and it is really limited in the modes, too. do 5 deathmatches and you don't remember ANY of them, same for the 'fight the big ships' mode (can't remember both correct terms now, neither do I care).

I love my Ties to death, but just as in mwo:QP there's only so much repetition I can bear for a while. and it totally lacks the fw-aspect.

second, but way less, concern is the horrible matchmaker; just as in mwo, it really doesn't try to balance both sides in terms of skill, which leads to games with 30:0, where your beginner-teammates snatch 1-5 kills and you take the rest & red-team does zero (match ends at 30kills; good matches end at 30 dead rebels terrorists Posted Image)

otoh there are games where you get some beginner teammates against a full-team of good players on the other side and you begin to question your skills, when it goes like 8:30.
biggest losers here again are the beginners, as they "lose" BOTH kind of matches, even if their side wins. a horrible idea to retain your playerbase if you push the beginners actively out by pairing them WITH AND/OR AGAINST vets.
and it's not that I'm that good at this game; just that everybody who plays is for a while is so ahead in the learning curve that he offs the beginners 3-5times before they can even figure out how to lock a guy, to move, to shoot - or do any of that combined.
MWO at least has it's limited tier5 time for beginners; SWS kinda throws you into tier-everybody, and tier-everybody is first timers against t1-comps more often than not.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 05 December 2021 - 05:21 AM.

#26 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,889 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:47 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 04 December 2021 - 12:45 PM, said:

Is it just that the MWO playerbase is just so stubborn?

Yes. There has always been a significant part of this games player base that is nostalgia driven and who just want to visualize and play with their virtual stompy robot toys from a game they played decades ago. Some may have left for MW5 or BT, but certainly not all of them. Add to that, the serious whales and their sunk cost fallacy motivation, and you have quite possibly thousands of players right there that are not going to permanently leave off from this game short of a irl event that prevents them from playing.

Do we all have some kind of Stockholm syndrom? Posted Image

No one is held hostage here, but still, PGI and this game certainly don't have the best reputation in how they engage their player base. Their various missteps are well documented, and yet even at their worst there was always someone in the community who would defend their actions no matter what.

Can it be that with all it flaws MWO still is fun for us?

Of course. Though with the changes of late I can honestly say I am having less fun now than ever before (it's harder to brawl in a Jester or my various Quickdraws then it used to be, and even on maps where I can get into brawl position without getting wrecked along the way, there are a lot of faster/more agile mechs that hit harder and have better dps than mine do, and that kind of sucks, but that's on me because I have 300 mechs to chose from and I chose those, so yeah.), but despite that, I still play, and still have a good time playing. As to the flaws of this game, well, its an old game on an old engine, with minimal developer support, whatayagonnado? I'm just happy they haven't shut it down.

#27 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:18 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 December 2021 - 06:18 PM, said:

I actually just finished clearing my desk to play ED again. I won't be buying the expansion for now, as I don't fancy sub 60fps gameplay without proper VR, but yeah. Had to install a new shelf to hold my desk stuff that used to have a home before my wife's crafts literally the entire study >.>

having enough desk space for a mouse, keyboard, hotas, vr headset, computer, speakers, monitor and at least one cat is very hard.

#28 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:16 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 05 December 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

Yes. There has always been a significant part of this games player base that is nostalgia driven and who just want to visualize and play with their virtual stompy robot toys from a game they played decades ago. Some may have left for MW5 or BT, but certainly not all of them. Add to that, the serious whales and their sunk cost fallacy motivation, and you have quite possibly thousands of players right there that are not going to permanently leave off from this game short of a irl event that prevents them from playing.

No one is held hostage here, but still, PGI and this game certainly don't have the best reputation in how they engage their player base. Their various missteps are well documented, and yet even at their worst there was always someone in the community who would defend their actions no matter what.

Of course. Though with the changes of late I can honestly say I am having less fun now than ever before (it's harder to brawl in a Jester or my various Quickdraws then it used to be, and even on maps where I can get into brawl position without getting wrecked along the way, there are a lot of faster/more agile mechs that hit harder and have better dps than mine do, and that kind of sucks, but that's on me because I have 300 mechs to chose from and I chose those, so yeah.), but despite that, I still play, and still have a good time playing. As to the flaws of this game, well, its an old game on an old engine, with minimal developer support, whatayagonnado? I'm just happy they haven't shut it down.

Kind of held hostage if you've spent a significant amount on MWO, sure we can quit.. but all that money you spent would be washed away with it..

#29 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:32 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 06 December 2021 - 05:16 AM, said:

Kind of held hostage if you've spent a significant amount on MWO, sure we can quit.. but all that money you spent would be washed away with it..

Here's an interesting read for you:
https://thedecisionl...k-cost-fallacy/

#30 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:29 PM

So I grew up playing the original Xwing/Tie-Fighter games and I was very worried about EA bastardizing them so I was very pleased when the game play reflected the classic games, even with the engine/shields/guns settings. That being said I think MWO is a bit more fun due to all the crazy builds and modifications to the mechs you can make.

#31 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:17 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 05 December 2021 - 01:41 AM, said:

On that part I have to agree. PGI might have done quite some stuff where you shake your head like why did it take so long to get the balance to a better place with the help of the community, etc.

Still I like MWO, its fun to play every once in a while, so yah they did something right.

The basic gameplay is good. For me its the best mech game from how the battles feel, what is missing on every part is some polish. Little stuff like the UI, updateing weapon discriptions, explain some of the mechanics better for new players.

Ghostheat and minimal range seam to be completly ignored by new players. Then we have bigger points like the skilltree, also everyone seams to have its idea for it that differes wildly from the others.

Then the real big problems that need to be solved like performance, graphic updates, mode updates/refinement, factionplay.

PGI made a solid basis and did that well. They need to refine the stuff and bashing constantly on them won't make that happen. The cooperation with the cauldron is a much better way.

i kind of think all the pgi bashing is a meme at this point. when we bash them, accuse them of not having any coders, of letting it rot, of mismanagement. we tend to do so affectionately. if we really hated them we wouldn't be here.

if were being honest they are not quite a tripple a and not quite indie either. indie to me is a small dev team, even just a couple people, hammering out a game as a labor of love. sometimes they go big but they always start small. that really isn't a viable business model for a franchise game no matter how niche that franchise is. pri started with a full dev team, for the first few years. lean times happened for awhile, but it feels like they are back.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 December 2021 - 05:29 PM.

#32 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 07 December 2021 - 03:35 AM

MWO starting now after Years with Marketing,after it loose the complete technical Crew for the Game and hope for Help from other companys and whats come from the Couldron Team and after sell to EG7 ..The biggest Problem is the Staff from mWO since Years

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 07 December 2021 - 03:37 AM.

#33 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:17 PM

Squadrons has less features than MWO did at launch and believe it or not, but people like variety.

Also, they gimped the TIE Defender, so **** that ****.

#34 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:17 PM

View PostStonefalcon, on 08 December 2021 - 01:17 PM, said:

Squadrons has less features than MWO did at launch and believe it or not, but people like variety.

Also, they gimped the TIE Defender, so **** that ****.

actually, if they haven't nerfed it since introduction a couple of months ago, the Defender is quite a ship..

granted, it is a sitting duck if piloted by a beginner.. but;
I'm more of an Interceptor-Pilot myself but man, a T/D in the hand of a capable player - it's something scary.

#35 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,214 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:24 PM

Wow — it had a gigantic dropoff following release. I don't think you can easy hide another platform in that tiny pile.

So, I really enjoyed the original LucasArts X-Wing, as well as titles that followed it. Perhaps I misremembered gameplay of real circle-and-loop dogfighting, but in Squadrons everything seemed to revolve around repeatedly strafing and disengaging — that TIE would zoom past and turn into a pixel on your screen, turn, and zoom past. Makes tactical sense, sure, but it bored me to tears. Cool story, at least.

#36 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 December 2021 - 12:01 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 08 December 2021 - 03:24 PM, said:

Wow — it had a gigantic dropoff following release. I don't think you can easy hide another platform in that tiny pile.

So, I really enjoyed the original LucasArts X-Wing, as well as titles that followed it. Perhaps I misremembered gameplay of real circle-and-loop dogfighting, but in Squadrons everything seemed to revolve around repeatedly strafing and disengaging — that TIE would zoom past and turn into a pixel on your screen, turn, and zoom past. Makes tactical sense, sure, but it bored me to tears. Cool story, at least.

That's pretty much my recollection of how all the X-Wing games played, so it sounds like SWS is a modern version of the classics.

#37 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 December 2021 - 12:17 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 05 December 2021 - 09:18 PM, said:

having enough desk space for a mouse, keyboard, hotas, vr headset, computer, speakers, monitor and at least one cat is very hard.

My return to Elite proved short lived - The developers released a patch where opening your inventory crashes the game, thereby proving that not a single soul play tested the patch in a complete test environment. I called their dev team idiots and got permanently banned for harassment :P

It wasn't a total wash though - I have gained a shelf.

#38 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 02:07 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 10 December 2021 - 12:17 PM, said:

My return to Elite proved short lived - The developers released a patch where opening your inventory crashes the game, thereby proving that not a single soul play tested the patch in a complete test environment. I called their dev team idiots and got permanently banned for harassment Posted Image

It wasn't a total wash though - I have gained a shelf.

its amazing that dev companies still have money when they do stupid things and ban their own customers for the inevitable insults that result. sometimes i question how the world is funded.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 December 2021 - 02:17 PM.

#39 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:16 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 December 2021 - 02:07 PM, said:

its amazing that dev companies still have money when they do stupid things and ban their own customers for the inevitable insults that result. sometimes i question how the world is funded.

I could write a paper on all of the poor design decisions they made. I think it started with the addition of multiplayer, the engine just could not handle it and the choice of p2p connectivity made it even worse. Imagine if MWO was p2p and there was no central server authority to validate most actions like moving and hit registration. Then the broken features, my God. Every major new feature launched half finished and was never completed. I'm derailing the thread but I have to say PGI have better QA than those guys, and they are a publically floated company.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users