62 replies to this topic

#61 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:04 PM

ecm is non issue

real problem is smooth brains refusing to use uav or even purchase/equip it on their light/mediums. well placed uav can easily help you win the game, as having more intel than enemy team means your team can quickly reposition and prioritize targets for an easy win

never understood why people choose to lose more games than just spend 20k cbills

#62 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:46 PM

The big thing about ECM -- ignoring the impact it has on LRMs, which is an outlier -- is that it much more easily allows you to step out, shoot, and step back without, in the interim, taking fire from ten different opposition machines.

Yeah, there's counterplay, and yeah, I'm just sitting around in T4 with the rest of the potatoes, but there's enough T1 footage out there that you can absolutely see the difference it makes in the amount of fire someone catches even in those games. T1 players are better shots, have faster reactions, etc, but that just makes reducing the window of opportunity for someone to notice and shoot you back even more important.

It's single most effective investment of slots and tonnage on a 'mech, in my mind. It's fair to ask if ECM variants are balanced with their non-ECM variants, particularly on the Clan side where mix & match is easier. On omnimechs where the ECM is available, it's very often taken.

The difference in trying to get info on a team with large amounts of ECM and one without is also very real, though I don't expect the MM to do anything about it, because it has troubles enough with things like pilot tier and tonnage.

Regarding stealth: Stealth is a huge hit to your available crits (and indirectly your available tonnage) and your heat dissipation (which is also tax on your damage, crits, and tonnage). The bigger the 'mech the more those penalties become important because you're more likely to be using all those slots and all that tonnage for guns already.

I do like it on lights, though. The direct tradeoff is as small as you can get it and the survivability and positioning advantages it can offer are at their largest on something that's small and fast to begin with.

#63 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 February 2022 - 02:24 PM

After careful consideration... I think it's "about right".

I cannot recall a match where there was not ample opportunity to mooch off someone's ECM bubble. Granted, often they are lights and fast mediums so staying in the bubble can sometimes be a challenge...

I've long contended that a skillfully placed UAV is a hard counter to ECM and to that UAVs are far more pervasive than ECM use is.

This is why I go out of my way to kill UAVs, occasionally losing sight of a target or taking incoming fire just to swat them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users