A Proposal Of How To Fix The Match-Maker

51 replies to this topic

#41 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:14 AM

This was like reading a modern day love story.

I'm glad the two of you could resolve your respective skill differences and come to together to agree, yes MM needs to be changed.

Now, someone summon Nightbird and let this thread truly excel

#42 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 08:08 AM

Good job guys.

#43 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationAlso StankDog the damp

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:24 AM

View PostI O O percent KongLord, on 21 January 2022 - 03:52 PM, said:

I love the "evidence" you post is basically you proving that you are the problem when you can't even reach 1kd on the mechs you claim to do good in.

Yes the matchmaker sucks but it should put noobs like OP with tier 5's and leave tier 1 for good people

Really? "Good people?" So, we're "bad people?"

Did you even read what you posted before you posted it? Of course not, because this is just how we are treated in game.

#44 Potato Farmer

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:35 AM

So to stay on topic, the matchmaker isn't as broken as OP claimed to be, because OP is losing more than he should due to him making calls for the team to get into bad positions, as a result his teams lose more than they should.

I'll make a brutal suggestion here: stop making drop calls, you are bad at it. Follow the team, focus on doing more damage than you take.

If you still cannot improve your win rates after following that advice, you can come back and do your thing.

Edited by Potato Farmer, 26 January 2022 - 08:38 AM.

#45 P H O T O N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:51 AM

View PostPotato Farmer, on 26 January 2022 - 08:35 AM, said:

So to stay on topic, the matchmaker isn't as broken as OP claimed to be, because OP is losing more than he should due to him making calls for the team to get into bad positions, as a result his teams lose more than they should.

I'll make a brutal suggestion here: stop making drop calls, you are bad at it. Follow the team, focus on doing more damage than you take.

If you still cannot improve your win rates after following that advice, you can come back and do your thing.

You're just repeating your ad hominem argument. You have no evidence to support your claims and you are simply just a troll hiding behind an alternate account. And besides, your argument is flawed. Consider this in response to your proposition, who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows the fool? If what you say is true, who is actually at fault! You are insulting the intelligence of all of the other players in the game. You are literally clutching at straws and it is embarrassing.

I have presented my evidence that the matchmaker is broken and it is overwhelming and conclusive. If you personally cannot grasp my arguments I would urge you to consider the last example once more, particularly if you are not onboard with my earlier examples. If you just want to believe it was just me that consistently loses the game for the team then I am afraid nobody can help you, but please do us all the decency of just being quiet.

I will happily talk through the evidence with anyone if they need further clarity on the matter - what I have posted here is just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by Titan Prometheus, 26 January 2022 - 09:32 AM.

#46 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationAlso StankDog the damp

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:59 AM

It's obvious that some folk prefer the match maker to remain unchanged. Let the stomping continue.

It is also obvious by some of the comments that the upper echelon of players would just as soon have everyone who is not Tier 1 go away and leave them to play this game with similar skilled team mates and enemies. I wonder what the queue times would be if we made that happen?

Everyone seems to think that any modifications to make the match maker better will increase wait times. This does not have to be the case. Once the match maker has assembled 24 players, then the balancing could be done in a fraction of a second.

#47 nuttyrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 94 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:27 AM

View PostSpare Knight, on 26 January 2022 - 08:59 AM, said:

It's obvious that some folk prefer the match maker to remain unchanged. Let the stomping continue.

It is also obvious by some of the comments that the upper echelon of players would just as soon have everyone who is not Tier 1 go away and leave them to play this game with similar skilled team mates and enemies. I wonder what the queue times would be if we made that happen?

Everyone seems to think that any modifications to make the match maker better will increase wait times. This does not have to be the case. Once the match maker has assembled 24 players, then the balancing could be done in a fraction of a second.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Folks all over the skill spectrum would LOVE to see a Secondary Matchmaker to balance the match lobby, so we don't see unbalanced teams like in Titan's example above along with many other unbalanced matches that are put together. A secondary matchmaker would not add any noticeable increase to queue times (or at least it shouldn't) ... the challenge with anything that requires development time is resourcing within PGI. They have very few people working on the game right now and changes like this would require a lot of work.

#48 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 08:55 AM

View PostGenOrtega, on 19 January 2022 - 03:18 AM, said:

There is plenty of evidence on social media about the behaviour of some very experienced players using alternative accounts to 'Seal Club' amongst other activities making use of this and also even forming Alt Groups to game the MM for their own entertainment at the expense of new players regardless of how 'cushioned' you would have us believe new players are to the game (and no I'm not going to name, names, you probably know who they are already, you just need to look at their Twitch, YouTube or whatever).

This is stating the obvious and the Elephant in the Room needs to be addressed properly by PGI as there is also a large vocal community of people new and old frustrated with how MM works. Even promoters and influencers have plenty to say on this topic and it's just going to keep on getting more and more vocal.

Frustration is not entirely the best advertising to potential new players to give your game a go PGI if it's vocalised across the very platforms you'd want to promote positive experiences in to attract more people to your product.

As an unofficial spokesman for "Team Seal" I want to revisit this, please.

I can't see any way to stop higher tier players from making alts and griefing the lower tiers.

Some of you claim you do it to help your friends get better. Ok, on the surface that seems noble.

So can those of you that engage in this behavior please explain the difference between a higher tier player invading the lower tiers with the purpose of clubbing seals for their own amusement, versus someone from the higher tiers who invades the lower tiers to group with their lesser skilled friends and club seals?

Don't you think you are artificially influencing your friends W/L ratio? Is that really helping them?
Not to mention the other teams you face that are just trying to grind out some fun in this game only to be stomped by your "good intentions"!

You 'Elite' players want to come to the lower tiers that's just fine, but how about you give yourself a handicap like piloting only trial mechs and playing the whole match running backwards!?! Posted Image

Before someone responds by saying "GIT GUD" and you won't have to worry about it know this...I am very comfortable with being a lower skilled pilot. Posted Image

Maybe PGI can release a "TRAINER CLASS" of mechs that only Tier 1 and 2 can use that has all of their weapons nerfed at 50% damage or some other appropriate number and can only drop with lower Tiers?

Or maybe it would be easier if they developed a "TRAINING MODE" for the Tier 1's and 2's that effectively does exactly that. Just a check box that nerf's your mech and lets you drop with lower tiers. And it would display before the drop that you were in "TRAINING MODE" so you couldn't be accused of seal clubbing?

Tier 1 and 2 Pilots in "TRAINING" mode don't have any positive or negative effects on their PSR, but can have a separate category for their W/L's and weapon damage in this mode for their own personal bragging rights?

Then you can use your Main Pilot names when you go invading the lower tiers and your true intentions of actually helping people learn the game would be out there for everyone to see and appreciate?

You could probably apply this mode for lower Tier pilots (without the nerf) that just want to play the game without worrying about how their performance is going to affect their PSR. Then they can train that new mech they always wanted to. They can drop with the same people that do want to have their performance recorded.
Once you hit Tier 2 then checking the "TRAINING MODE" box will nerf your mech by whatever the Math Wizard's here think is appropriate.

I don't know if that would fix what's broken, but it might help.

Oh well, I'm just brainstorming. Thanks for reading this.

Edited by Stab Wound, 27 January 2022 - 12:54 PM.

#49 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

You want to know the handicap of Elite players making an alt account? They lose all their stuff, can't bring it with them. What they end up with is an account that has a couple mechs on it, and they quickly rise to T2/T3 (and the best rise rapidly to T1) and then all that effort was for naught.

So no, this doesn't happen as often as you suspect it does, and it quickly self corrects.

#50 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:01 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 27 January 2022 - 03:06 PM, said:

You want to know the handicap of Elite players making an alt account? They lose all their stuff, can't bring it with them. What they end up with is an account that has a couple mechs on it, and they quickly rise to T2/T3 (and the best rise rapidly to T1) and then all that effort was for naught.

So no, this doesn't happen as often as you suspect it does, and it quickly self corrects.

Thanks, you genuinely seem like you wanted to be helpful.

So that's a 'no' from you on 'TRAINING MODE/MECHS"? Posted Image

These are probably 'burner' accounts that are designed to be deleted after they become useless for griefing.
They aren't intended to be nurtured.
It's a free game so it costs them nothing but time.
Using your logic they only need a couple of hours to have a mech just like their main.
They won't need more than a couple mechs or even just one.
Club some seals, then repeat.

I'm basing this off of responses in this thread, it's not like I'm making this up.
Apparently there are others that have responded previously that have more knowledge and some alluded to evidence.

Edited by Stab Wound, 28 January 2022 - 11:23 AM.

#51 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 06:33 AM

View PostStab Wound, on 28 January 2022 - 08:01 AM, said:

Thanks, you genuinely seem like you wanted to be helpful. So that's a 'no' from you on 'TRAINING MODE/MECHS"? Posted Image These are probably 'burner' accounts that are designed to be deleted after they become useless for griefing. They aren't intended to be nurtured. It's a free game so it costs them nothing but time. Using your logic they only need a couple of hours to have a mech just like their main. They won't need more than a couple mechs or even just one. Club some seals, then repeat. I'm basing this off of responses in this thread, it's not like I'm making this up. Apparently there are others that have responded previously that have more knowledge and some alluded to evidence.

I'm not sure what in this thread leads you to believe any of what you are presuming.

Most alts end up in tier 3 within our first 10 games with trial mechs.

The majority of 'elite' players have these alts to muck around and relax without being known. It has little to do with 'clubbing seals' in tier five.... or tier one.

View PostTitan Prometheus, on 26 January 2022 - 08:51 AM, said:

You're just repeating your ad hominem argument. You have no evidence to support your claims and you are simply just a troll hiding behind an alternate account. And besides, your argument is flawed. Consider this in response to your proposition, who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows the fool? If what you say is true, who is actually at fault! You are insulting the intelligence of all of the other players in the game. You are literally clutching at straws and it is embarrassing. I have presented my evidence that the matchmaker is broken and it is overwhelming and conclusive. If you personally cannot grasp my arguments I would urge you to consider the last example once more, particularly if you are not onboard with my earlier examples. If you just want to believe it was just me that consistently loses the game for the team then I am afraid nobody can help you, but please do us all the decency of just being quiet. I will happily talk through the evidence with anyone if they need further clarity on the matter - what I have posted here is just the tip of the iceberg.

There is a fundamental disagreement here with a section of the community and you over the meaning of your stats.

They do not mean what you say they do. I say this respectfully as someone with a tertiary education and several years of playing this game at several levels of competition before you try to discredit me.

Your levels of arrogance and ignorance may be something you wish to investigate before furthering this conversation.

Edited by Temporary Axis, 29 January 2022 - 07:10 AM.

#52 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 08:16 AM

View PostTitan Prometheus, on 26 January 2022 - 08:51 AM, said:

If you just want to believe it was just me that consistently loses the game for the team then I am afraid nobody can help you, but please do us all the decency of just being quiet.

You know your stats are public right? You're the common denominator. Except it, and make changes to fix the problem.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users