My Most Frustrating Death...what?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Maj Destruction

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 30 January 2022 - 10:18 PM

So I was trouncing around in my Marauder and just got picked off by a light behind me (I think). Total damage taken (and not all of it was this guy): 75. Cause of death: engine destroyed. Huh? How is THAT possible?

Sucks worse than my instant-death the other night, a sniper picked me off with a headshot...at least that guy earned it.

Edit: I shouldn't really say the attacker in this case didn't "earn" it (he took a shot, game called it a kill, fair is fair), but it does seem like he might have got off a "lucky" hit, or am I wrong? Lights can be a hassle, but they usually don't take me down unless I'm already tore up. Actually had two lights going at me a little later tonight. They played ring-around-the-rosie on me for quite a while, until a teammate picked one off and ran off the other.

Matt

Edited by Maj Destruction, 30 January 2022 - 11:07 PM.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2022 - 11:40 PM

Did you screenshot your death screen?

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:11 AM

It takes 69 internal structure damage to kill a stock marauder, not including survival tree. 75 would be enough to core out the rear CT. it takes a lot less than that to core out a side torso if you have an XL engine, which would be the same cause of death.

#4 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:42 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 31 January 2022 - 07:11 AM, said:

It takes 69 internal structure damage to kill a stock marauder, not including survival tree. 75 would be enough to core out the rear CT. it takes a lot less than that to core out a side torso if you have an XL engine, which would be the same cause of death.

And much less to pop the rear armor and crit an ammo bin, causing it to explode.

Edited by Horseman, 31 January 2022 - 08:42 AM.

#5 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:10 AM

Don't sweat it. Those frustrating moments, where you seem to spontaneously explode from something out of know where, happen to most of us.

Best thing you can do is learn from it. Figure out what happened and then learn how to minimize the chances from it happening again. This might take repeated failures.

It's hard to give specific advice (other than to just stay with the group) because details are lacking from your experience. If you did post details and frame it as a request for help, you would get a lot of helpful advice.

#6 Maj Destruction

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:54 PM

Looks like I did not screenshot the kill screen, just the summary at the end. Here it is:
https://steamuserima...2AB6C4C6949819/

This is my loadout/armor situation:
https://steamuserima...54F9CB828CD3D4/

And here's the survival side of my skill tree....not terribly robust, but not bone-stock either:
https://steamuserima...BC21A1D696F205/

I don't really have a lot of other details, other than I'm pretty sure he got me from behind, and I had just a tiny bit of damage already, from the front or side I think (was LRM'ing from a distance, and hadn't really had a chance to engage yet). And, as you can see, no XL engine here. There were no ammo explosions.

Matt

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:56 PM

Well then it was a darn good CT shot. 18 armor plus 57 internal equals 75 damage.

If he did that in one shot, there really wasn’t anything you could do apart from not staying too far from your team. If it took more than one shot, develop the reflex to hard turn AND hard torso twist when you see the damage indicator light up from behind. If the second shot goes into your frontal (side torso) armor, you stand a good chance of shooting back.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,708 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:57 PM

Once the rear CT armor is gone there is the internal structure and crit hits which can help reduce those internal structure points even more (or I have slept/gotten old!! ) As your situational awareness improves, should review moving more torso armor to the front, ie front loading armor.

1. Turn up sound - you should be able to hear mechs.
2. Get Seismic Sensor if you arent able to queue on the sounds. It works only when you are not moving.

3. Switch up Ferro (armor) to Endo (structure) for more weight savings to update the engine (faster mech)
4. Move some of LRM ammo from arm (gets blown off, all of your LRM ammo is gone) and AC to legs and and head
5, clan mech Posted Image
6. You can drop leg armor some, to around 60pts to free up weight. to put in a higher engine rating.

And with your current load out, dropping 7 armor pts from each leg and changing Ferro for Endo you would be able to equip a 275 rated stock engine from that 250.

Or drop 3 of the 10 DHS, insert a 300 rated stock engine, then select Ferro then add 2 DHS inside the Engine. That will get you up from 47 KPH to 57 KPH base speed. That is the nice thing about Clan battlemechs vs IS battlemechs, Endo+Ferro take up only 14 total slots for Clans while either of Endo or Ferro takes up 14 slots EACH..

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 31 January 2022 - 08:21 PM.

#9 Maj Destruction

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the advice, it gives me something to work on. Now that you mentioned the LRM ammo, I realize this loadout is slightly out of date......I recently moved LRM ammo to the torsos, and dumped the AC10 in favor of two lasers. I don't recall if this was before or after the insta-death.

On the torso twisting, pretty sure this guy only got one or maybe two shots off to knock me out (speaking of which, what kind of loadout can a light have that does that kind of damage?). I have been slowly learning how to farm damage (one of the toughest skills for me, for some reason), but not much I can do when I'm dead in 1 or 2 shots.

Tarl, I didn't see any way to practically upgrade my engine but your comments give me hope.......can't wait to speed this bus up a bit. :)

Matt

#10 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 09:54 PM

Maj Destruction said:

1643690987[/url]' post='6444462']
On the torso twisting, pretty sure this guy only got one or maybe two shots off to knock me out (speaking of which, what kind of loadout can a light have that does that kind of damage?)

This Piranha can generate a 51 alpha if it’s close enough. The micro lasers have virtually NO range, and is why Tarl put seismic sensors on the suggestion list. It’s in range of seismic if it’s in micro laser optimal range.

And yes, you need build advice to tune up your mech. Hop on down to the section on Battlemechs / Assault mechs and start a thread. You’ll get tons of suggestions and advice!

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 31 January 2022 - 09:58 PM.

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 February 2022 - 12:18 AM

My most frustrating death in recent past was getting my side torso popped by some halfdead Shadowcat that hit me from behind after I finished three Assaults in my Charger.
First two died without firing a returnshot, one from a perfect backstab and one from a hit cockpit. The third just had no luck an his SRM ammo went boom and killed him.
Just a half shadowcat an me where left, my heat at 95% from the last assault when he got into my rear and hit my sidetorso.
The resulting heatspike killed me and he stated:"....wuhuhuuuu out of ammo...."

#12 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 04 March 2022 - 06:16 PM

At least you got to fight! I was in a match where I didn't even get a shot off! Actually 2 different matches, but that's another story. Anyways, the match I'm talking about, I moved up to the middle of Tourmaline and was waiting for the enemy to get near enough for me to shoot. Suddenly I'm dead. An enemy had used ECM to sneak around behind me and shoot me in the back. Looked like he alpha striked me and took out my rear center. Match over. Lesson learned: Keep an eye on your surroundings even when you don't think the enemy is around!

#13 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 05:08 PM

LOL been there done that, it was happening alot back in the days of SCOUTING, med mech jammed full of SRM, a or a nova with 12 small lazers or about. i think you need to try making 1 of these mechs, and find a buddy to run with.
i pretty much run solo, so run mostly heavy most days, CLAN mechs with a probe and target computer ect ect, and lazer vomit, and watch your map, i mostly use timber wolf, yes they upgraded them a few months back.
so now i wait for the the little guys in the back, with jump jets, high speed and hunt them, its all great fun, some of them KNOW ME, and want me DEAD first, its an HONOR to have to fight 3 MECHS even 4, and still get 1 kill, its a game LEARN it.

SAWK clanner : )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users