Jump to content

February Free Mech Event


40 replies to this topic

#21 PocketYoda

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2022 - 05:50 PM

All these people saying Firestarters are a nice mech.. Poor newbs don't stand a chance in their shiny new light mechs.. At least its closer to Catalyst sizes than other light mechs.

#22 NanoLeviathan

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 06:02 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 08 February 2022 - 05:50 PM, said:

All these people saying Firestarters are a nice mech.. Poor newbs don't stand a chance in their shiny new light mechs.. At least its closer to Catalyst sizes than other light mechs.

Firestarters were the most played mech in the MWO Championship Series 2021 by a large margin. They are nice mechs. I will defend my baby to the death.

#23 hyZ

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 401 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:12 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 08 February 2022 - 05:50 PM, said:

All these people saying Firestarters are a nice mech.. Poor newbs don't stand a chance in their shiny new light mechs.. At least its closer to Catalyst sizes than other light mechs.

Firestarter is one of the strongest mechs in the game overall right now. I don't know what makes you think lights are extremely underpowered, imo they really aren't.

#24 VLADIVOSTOK DV

    Member

  • Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRUSSIA

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:17 AM

What does it mean to "Earn 1 blocked UAV damage"? How to do it???
Что значит "Заработать 1 заблокированный урон от БПЛА"? Как это сделать???

Thanks to everyone who makes this game.

Edited by VLADIVOSTOK DV, 09 February 2022 - 05:16 AM.


#25 Kodan Black

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:55 AM

It is UAV LOCKED damage. You need to launch a UAV that allows an enemy mech to be targeted and locked so that a lock on missile weapon such as LRM, Streak, or ATM does 1 point of damage.

Put more simply you have to launch a UAV that helps a missile teammate hit an enemy.

#26 Big-G

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 335 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 09 February 2022 - 01:01 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 08 February 2022 - 05:50 PM, said:

All these people saying Firestarters are a nice mech.. Poor newbs don't stand a chance in their shiny new light mechs.. At least its closer to Catalyst sizes than other light mechs.


Until one or two tears your beloved Assault or Heavy a new one during a match...

#27 VLADIVOSTOK DV

    Member

  • Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRUSSIA

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:38 PM

View PostKodan Black, on 09 February 2022 - 05:55 AM, said:

It is UAV LOCKED damage. You need to launch a UAV that allows an enemy mech to be targeted and locked so that a lock on missile weapon such as LRM, Streak, or ATM does 1 point of damage.

Put more simply you have to launch a UAV that helps a missile teammate hit an enemy.


Thank you, it would have taken me a long time to figure this out myself.
Спасибо, мне бы потребовалось много времени, чтобы разобраться в этом самому.

Edited by VLADIVOSTOK DV, 09 February 2022 - 04:38 PM.


#28 PocketYoda

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:08 AM

View PostTheUltimateGhost, on 09 February 2022 - 04:12 AM, said:

Firestarter is one of the strongest mechs in the game overall right now. I don't know what makes you think lights are extremely underpowered, imo they really aren't.


I never said they were underpowered, the firestarters are not great.. Fleas and Locusts are great. Piranhas and mist lynxes are great..

#29 ExoForce

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 10 February 2022 - 11:45 AM

My second most hated mech. I remember the times when they were immortal...
And those rushes in Community Warfare were disgrace for the game.

I will take it anyway. Thanks

#30 Voice of Kerensky

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:05 PM

Thx, PGI!

#31 pbiggz

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:15 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 10 February 2022 - 06:08 AM, said:

I never said they were underpowered, the firestarters are not great.. Fleas and Locusts are great. Piranhas and mist lynxes are great..


Didn't firestarters recently get a major durability boost? It seems like you're working with outdated info.

#32 An6ryMan69

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 10:59 AM

View PostPeppaPig, on 08 February 2022 - 03:47 AM, said:

Nice IS light mech, even better when scaled down a bit.

Not sure why the increase in Match Score from 8k to 9.5K as per prior events, still, thank you for continuing to offer free mechs, always a bonus for the new(er) players and something for the long established ones.


My feelings EXACTLY!

:)

#33 Kodan Black

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 11 February 2022 - 01:14 PM

I like that we are getting different weight classes also. Maybe helps newer players try out a different class or for old timers maybe they are enticed to break out of their routine. Though I still have the last few assault mechs we've gotten gathering dust as I so rarely play them. But good to have the option if I need to play one to fill out my group.

#34 hyZ

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 401 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 12 February 2022 - 01:46 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 10 February 2022 - 06:08 AM, said:

I never said they were underpowered, the firestarters are not great.. Fleas and Locusts are great. Piranhas and mist lynxes are great..

PIR isn't that strong. FS9 is.
here's why:
Worlds 2021 Finals Mech Usage
P.S.: locusts aren't great either...

Edited by TheUltimateGhost, 12 February 2022 - 02:03 AM.


#35 Roodkapje

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 10:25 AM

The mask turns out to be horrible, but the rest was nice to have so THNX P.G.I. !!! :D

#36 D V Devnull

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 17 February 2022 - 07:11 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 07 February 2022 - 06:26 PM, said:

Bonus points for throwing in the kabuki mask bolt on! Posted Image

View PostRoodkapje, on 12 February 2022 - 10:25 AM, said:

The mask turns out to be horrible, but the rest was nice to have so THNX P.G.I. !!! Posted Image

I checked on that Kabuki Mask Bolt-On in the Rewards Listing... While I do think it's a nice addition to what's being earned, the inability to Color it in any way really imposes a major limitation on what Paint Jobs can really be used with it, things which would require significant choice of browns or reds in order to make it blend properly. I hope that someone in PGI's Staff (Perhaps the current Booster Pack Modeler, Mark Nicholson, can add this to his Hit List of things to do?) will make the Color Channels changeable in the future!?! :(

~D. V. "kinda likes the 'Kabuki Mask' Reward addition, but dislikes the Color restrictions" Devnull

#37 An6ryMan69

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 444 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:24 AM

View PostTheUltimateGhost, on 12 February 2022 - 01:46 AM, said:

PIR isn't that strong. FS9 is.
here's why:
Worlds 2021 Finals Mech Usage
P.S.: locusts aren't great either...


Its good to have quantifiable data, but its not a safe bet that this data actually represents how useful mechs are overall for the bulk of MWO players.

The tournament was announced as being on maps with five capture points, so mobility was a major factor right off the start, as well, the tournament was generally geared towards more elite players, as well as players well practiced in group tactics.

Since most games in MWO are quickplay drops with random players, it doesn't really translate very well.

Looking at the data for example, I cant find any Marauders or Archers at all, but there are 123 Firestarters. So very definitely something hinky going on there. Don't get me wrong, I like Firestarter's, but lets not go too far out in left field based on one piece of data.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 17 February 2022 - 09:30 AM.


#38 Big-G

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 335 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 17 February 2022 - 01:29 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 17 February 2022 - 07:11 AM, said:

... While I do think it's a nice addition to what's being earned, the inability to Color it in any way really imposes a major limitation on what Paint Jobs can really be used with it, things which would require significant choice of browns or reds in order to make it blend properly. ...


I agree fully on this, any coloured add-on must allow the ability to change colours to match your main paint schemes...

#39 Roodkapje

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:04 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 17 February 2022 - 07:11 AM, said:

I checked on that Kabuki Mask Bolt-On in the Rewards Listing... While I do think it's a nice addition to what's being earned, the inability to Color it in any way really imposes a major limitation on what Paint Jobs can really be used with it, things which would require significant choice of browns or reds in order to make it blend properly. I hope that someone in PGI's Staff (Perhaps the current Booster Pack Modeler, Mark Nicholson, can add this to his Hit List of things to do?) will make the Color Channels changeable in the future!?! Posted Image

~D. V. "kinda likes the 'Kabuki Mask' Reward addition, but dislikes the Color restrictions" Devnull

View PostBig-G, on 17 February 2022 - 01:29 PM, said:

I agree fully on this, any coloured add-on must allow the ability to change colours to match your main paint schemes...

Let me put it this way :

It's soo ugly and useless for me that I am willing to donate the thing to a random player who does like it somewhere in the future! :)

#40 D V Devnull

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:47 PM

View PostBig-G, on 17 February 2022 - 01:29 PM, said:

I agree fully on this, any coloured add-on must allow the ability to change colours to match your main paint schemes...

View PostRoodkapje, on 17 February 2022 - 03:04 PM, said:

Let me put it this way :

It's soo ugly and useless for me that I am willing to donate the thing to a random player who does like it somewhere in the future! Posted Image

Hey there, both of you... Another player showed me something in-person about Decals & Bolt-Ons that anyone can do. Either before or after equipping the Kabuki Mask Bolt-On to your Mech in the garage, add a Decal to the region as well. It apparently can work wonders, or at least that's what I saw at the time. :o

~D. V. "Decal + Kabuki Mask Bolt-On = An Unexpected Surprise ... That's how it appeared!!!" Devnull



[Edit by the Post's Author for some wording in the hand-signing...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 17 February 2022 - 11:48 PM.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users