Return Of Og Polar Highlands

4 replies to this topic

#1 Bo0gY

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 05:20 AM

i would like my fav map to return POLAR HIGHLANDS, sure there were ppl who didnt like it but that can literally be said with every map, i would like it to just return to the map pool and keep the new polar city, my fav memory of playing MWO was this one specific match on Polar Highlands at night and would be amazing to have a chance to exp that again.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 07:13 AM

View PostBo0gY, on 08 December 2023 - 05:20 AM, said:

i would like my fav map to return POLAR HIGHLANDS, sure there were ppl who didnt like it but that can literally be said with every map, i would like it to just return to the map pool and keep the new polar city, my fav memory of playing MWO was this one specific match on Polar Highlands at night and would be amazing to have a chance to exp that again.

Cauldron players prefer sniping, not LRMs ... thus, the original Polar Highlands map had to go.

#3 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 11:28 AM

To be honest, I don't think I ever had large score with lrms on it. Most fun it was with fast light ot meduim laser/MG builds. It was unique map that allowed for uninteruppted movement and manuever and ofered a lot of cover. I could hide Cyclops in those ravines. Present day one is sniper fest. But this has become arena shooter anyway.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 January 2024 - 01:30 PM

... No, the original Polar Highlands had to go because an LRM team could turn the map into an unholy nightmare for everyone else. Just dropping with LRMs wasn't an iwin button, but if you had a premade team drop with a spotter, or just had a Light on your team that the enemy couldn't drive off... well, there was no cover. I think they needed to deepen the trenches and add some overhead cover (maybe frame sheds with roofs and open sides.) New Polar is a good map, but they should keep it, ditch Alpine Peaks, and see if they can fix original Polar Highlands once Bearclaw is completed.

View PostBrom96, on 01 January 2024 - 11:28 AM, said:

To be honest, I don't think I ever had large score with lrms on it. Most fun it was with fast light ot meduim laser/MG builds. It was unique map that allowed for uninteruppted movement and manuever and ofered a lot of cover. I could hide Cyclops in those ravines.

That's what I loved about original Polar. People looked at it and thought "oh, this is open terrain, it is a sniper map," and they were wrong. Polar tended to reward intelligent movement; if people tried to find a sniping point and camp in place, they quickly found out that those low rolling hills left them nowhere to run once the enemy got around their cover - they were caught like fish in a barrel by enfilading fire. The map was a lot of fun to play - unless you had significant LRM presence on one side, but not the other - then it became a slogging hell of unanswerable, high-explosive rain.

#5 NeoRocket

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:06 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 01 January 2024 - 01:30 PM, said:

... No, the original Polar Highlands had to go because an LRM team could turn the map into an unholy nightmare for everyone else. Just dropping with LRMs wasn't an iwin button, but if you had a premade team drop with a spotter, or just had a Light on your team that the enemy couldn't drive off... well, there was no cover. I think they needed to deepen the trenches and add some overhead cover (maybe frame sheds with roofs and open sides.) New Polar is a good map, but they should keep it, ditch Alpine Peaks, and see if they can fix original Polar Highlands once Bearclaw is completed.

That's what I loved about original Polar. People looked at it and thought "oh, this is open terrain, it is a sniper map," and they were wrong. Polar tended to reward intelligent movement; if people tried to find a sniping point and camp in place, they quickly found out that those low rolling hills left them nowhere to run once the enemy got around their cover - they were caught like fish in a barrel by enfilading fire. The map was a lot of fun to play - unless you had significant LRM presence on one side, but not the other - then it became a slogging hell of unanswerable, high-explosive rain.

Then you do what a team is supposed to do. You rush the lrm boats. Get under 180 and the lrm's are lead ballast. There are so many defenses against lrm's besides hugging a sheer wall it isn't funny. Myself for instance? I hardly ever run any AMS. I DO max out my radar deprivation. It's funny watching a lock then "missiles heading your way". One step left or right behind ANY cover (like a rolling snow drift) and stand and watch missiles blindly sweep past me. Watching his ammo deplete with every shot. Or close the range. Or target missile boats first. Or any combo of the above.

Myself? I LOVE the original map whether or not I am running missiles. The Cauldron has tried to make ALL the maps the same. Which they didn't used to be and wouldn't in life. Reality is assymetrical. NOT a "balance of" open areas, hiding spots, and more balances. They have gone over every map and made them all vanilla. We no longer have strawberry or chocolate or rocky road. BORING. What's the next map? Who cares it will be like the last map only slightly different colors. I could have sworn in the early days weather was on. Day night cycles and rain no rain and so on. I haven't seen River City at night in... I don't remeber when. Night vision has been turned into a near useless button in MWO.

Because TRUE Mech Pilots ONLY drop on clear days. In middle of day. Only where there is a balance of cover vs sniping areas. Not too hot. Not too cold. Riggghht.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users