Heavy Mg Or Light Mg?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Azooazerick

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:38 AM

I have a meme Crab that i like a lot. Currently has 6 HMGs 2 light PPCS and 2 LRM 20s.

But the thing i am having trouble figuring out is if the HMG after range boosts has an optimal range of 143m but does 1.5 DPS is better than the LMG which has roughly double the range but half the damage. 143m is extremely close even for close range brawls. and i end up having troubles getting that close to begin with and kind of end up hovering around 200m. When i do get closer that damage is so nice. \

is the LMG overall just the better option simply because you can do damage effectively at over 250m+?

Edited by Azooazerick, 16 February 2022 - 11:39 AM.

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:42 AM

I'd say "it depends." You've accurately described the tradeoffs--range vs. damage. And standard MGs are the in-between option. HMGs do weight more however, so they should be more effective per ton compared to LMGs and MGs, but again range is the limiting factor.

#3 Azooazerick

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:48 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 16 February 2022 - 11:42 AM, said:

I'd say "it depends." You've accurately described the tradeoffs--range vs. damage. And standard MGs are the in-between option. HMGs do weight more however, so they should be more effective per ton compared to LMGs and MGs, but again range is the limiting factor.

Can the MG be called the in between if it doesn't get a boost in range? the only thing it has over the HMG in its current state is that its half a ton lighter. that probably matters in light mechs but in an assault mech the MG just seems bad.

To clarify, I used to run MG but somewhere along the line they either nerfed MGs or Buffed HMG. ( im a returning player from a year and a half ago)

Edited by Azooazerick, 16 February 2022 - 11:50 AM.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:49 AM

View PostAzooazerick, on 16 February 2022 - 11:48 AM, said:

Can the MG be called the in between if it doesn't get a boost in range? the only thing it has over the HMG in its current state is that its half a ton lighter. that probably matters in light mechs but in an assault mech the MG just seems bad.

Maybe it changed last year but it used to be different ranges.

#5 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:21 PM

Between the two, I'd vote for LMGs, you can use them at optimal range while staying outside of your LRM minimum range.

#6 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:32 PM

The correct answer is "only ballistics heavier than 1 ton" on the King Crab.

#7 Azooazerick

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:36 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 February 2022 - 12:32 PM, said:

The correct answer is "only ballistics heavier than 1 ton" on the King Crab.

used to be an AC2 boat before i changed it. it was more effective as a AC2 boat. but this is much more fun :P

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:49 PM

LMG usually pairs with heavy lasers on the Clan side for the added range, because most Clan 'Mechs don't like staring at close range. But since you are running a meme build, I would put HMGs on. Purely for the wtf factor of an LRM King Crab attempting to close into brawl range. Also, it legit is a more substantial defence against red laser Lights.

Edited by RickySpanish, 16 February 2022 - 12:51 PM.

#9 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:29 PM

I'd just go full lmg,hmg,mg,lmg,hmg,mg on it. Drop down to lrm 15s for more ammo. Add on the strike nodes then when any thing gets 200m or less just drop red smoke on yourself.

"Come at me will you?! Ha HA Self destruct mode activated!" If it worked for that ex captain in the federation always blowing up his ship it'll work for you too.

#10 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:59 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 16 February 2022 - 11:42 AM, said:

Something else to consider is rof which determines how many 'bullets' are fired over a given time which impacts critical farming. Hmg have a low rof so they are going to take longer to crit out an open component than a lmg because all mg share the same crit table. I find that as long as you have enough primary damage weapons then lmg tend to be the way to go since when boated they can far more quickly crit out your target. This also works right out to the max range since even if the 'bullet' does .001 damage it still carries the same crit potential so you can farm crits at 500m+ depending on range skills and quirks. Lmg also have a very tight grouping at range vs mg and especially hmg.

#11 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 04:38 PM

If your going for the meme, don't do it half way. Definitely HMGs. And while your at it, swap those peeps for some flamers - then you can fit in more ammo.

Edited by Vorpal Puppy, 16 February 2022 - 04:39 PM.

#12 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 06:09 PM

Dapper crabs always lead with HMGx6.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,793 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 07:36 PM

id go with the lmgs because you are in a longer range configuration. i have an mrm+snub+6hmg build that makes an excellent brawler though.

#14 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 February 2022 - 01:06 AM

On that build I'd definitely go for LMGs. Which you use should depend on what range you expect to be using them at. My Widow Hammer runs quad LMGs quite nicely alongside its quad LPLs, swapping to regular or HMGs would require I get much closer to get that extra crit seeking on the holes the lasers open up.

In fact, I am just not fond of HMGs at all. The only mechs they seem to be really useful on are the in-your-face style lights, who often cannot afford the extra tonnage. YMMV.

#15 Azooazerick

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the Advice. I thought about toying with MRMs to see if i can get more damage output out of it. just having the option to go long range is nice. But first ill throw on LMGS to see how that feels.

#16 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:08 PM

I love hmg but their limited ammo capacity vs mg/lmg hurts their usage.

#17 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:25 PM

Regular MG are optimal, but please don't let down your teammates by playing troll builds. 11 other players rely on you to play with them, not against them.

#18 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 05:46 AM

Heavy mg is better than mg in range. Light mg already made the trade off. You get a little further range but heavy still deal better damage at range than light mg and mg. Light mg shoot faster, which isn't really doing anything since hit is based on scanning the target. Optimal range is like wiping your butt before going to the bathroom depending on what definition is used. For what I concern your max range is always your optimal range. But damage goes before everything else. If you can't provide the damage you can't win.

The only reason to use mg is that the soundtrack is better.

#19 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 07:32 AM

View PostJudauAshta, on 17 February 2022 - 11:08 PM, said:

I love hmg but their limited ammo capacity vs mg/lmg hurts their usage.

Number of ammo is smaller for HMG but damage per ton is 270 like LMG, normal MG instead have only 230 damage per ton.
so more bang for buck rly compared to normal MGs.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,793 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 09:13 AM

View PostGagis, on 17 February 2022 - 11:25 PM, said:

Regular MG are optimal, but please don't let down your teammates by playing troll builds. 11 other players rely on you to play with them, not against them.

last time i used my uac20 raven i got 3 kills. are you sure you dont want me to bring troll builds?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users