Is Modding Allowed? No! (Well, Unless You're A Streamer)

38 replies to this topic

#21 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:39 PM

https://en.wikipedia...Twitch_channels

For those that don't know, this is a list of the top Twitch streamers as of 15 FEB 2022. There are zero female streamers in the top 5. None. Nadda. Zip. Zilch. Big, fat goose egg. Of the top 10, there is one female streamer, and she has less than half the followers of the top streamer. The next female on the list clocks in at 25th place. So, of the top 25 Twitch streamers, there are a whopping 2 females. The obvious conclusion, based upon what Ricky and Nothing have to say, is that those 23 guys are getting their massive viewership numbers by showing off their womanly attributes, flashing a lot of skin, streaming from their hot tubs, etc.

In other words, you guys have no idea what you are talking about, so STFU you dork-*** losers.

Posted Image

#22 PhantasmX

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:52 PM

Wow, I didn't expect so many detailed responses from everyone! Thank you to everybody that weighed in on this. It seems I'm not completely alone in my mindset, thankfully. Sounds like I need to focus more on content than anything else (which I'm trying to work on already!), although the sound packs CAN definitely be a deciding factor. I may just continue to stream other titles as opposed to MWO because it seems that the few streamers there are currently have a stranglehold on the viewers that exist for MWO at the moment. I'm not a fantastic player or anything, but I do pretty decent when I'm not just farming xp on underskilled mechs (or so I think) but I guess I'm the most biased person that could be considering my own stream quality.

Hopefully we can get back on track a bit as opposed to calling each other out over poorly perceived messages and whatnot, but I guess I'm not one to tell others how to live their lives. Cheers all!

#23 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 February 2022 - 01:10 PM

View PostPhantasmX, on 18 February 2022 - 12:52 PM, said:

Wow, I didn't expect so many detailed responses from everyone! Thank you to everybody that weighed in on this. It seems I'm not completely alone in my mindset, thankfully. Sounds like I need to focus more on content than anything else (which I'm trying to work on already!), although the sound packs CAN definitely be a deciding factor. I may just continue to stream other titles as opposed to MWO because it seems that the few streamers there are currently have a stranglehold on the viewers that exist for MWO at the moment. I'm not a fantastic player or anything, but I do pretty decent when I'm not just farming xp on underskilled mechs (or so I think) but I guess I'm the most biased person that could be considering my own stream quality.

Hopefully we can get back on track a bit as opposed to calling each other out over poorly perceived messages and whatnot, but I guess I'm not one to tell others how to live their lives. Cheers all!

Yeah honestly MWO doesn't get many views. BUT you could always stream games purely to watch them later to see what you could have done differently. I do that, because recording to disk fills space FAST, it's quite useful, IMO.

View PostEscef, on 18 February 2022 - 12:39 PM, said:

Angry stuff

lol

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,793 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 01:52 PM

View PostEscef, on 18 February 2022 - 12:14 PM, said:

Who's the #1 streamer again?

haven't a bloody clue.

doesn't make my statement incorrect though. if you need a source, turn on your tv.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 February 2022 - 01:58 PM.

#25 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 February 2022 - 02:04 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 February 2022 - 01:52 PM, said:

haven't a bloody clue.

doesn't make my statement incorrect though. if you need a source, turn on your tv.

If you read above, I looked it up. You and Ricky are demonstrably wrong. Facts don't care about your feelings.

#26 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 02:57 PM

View PostEscef, on 18 February 2022 - 02:04 PM, said:

If you read above, I looked it up. You and Ricky are demonstrably wrong. Facts don't care about your feelings.

You invented things we said, then fact checked those things. Well done - I hope the straw is keeping you warm on this cold night.

#27 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 03:15 PM

Pretty sure they are talking about what % of streamer's popularity is based on looks, and are claiming looks matter, and are claiming some people are followed primarily for their looks. They aren't claiming that looks override everything else, or that looks guarantee success, or that they only matter.

I don't have a dog in this fight personally. I'm just noticing that yall are talking about different things.

Edited by Heavy Money, 18 February 2022 - 03:16 PM.

#28 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,793 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 03:17 PM

a meme does not a fact make.

the adage 'sex sells' has been a thing since at least since 1871 where images of bare breasted ladies were used on the packaging of tobacco products. you could spend the time you spent googling for a meme to reflect your confirmation biases, and instead looked up the history of sex in advertising on wikipedia.

#29 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 February 2022 - 03:25 PM

If sex sells so well, why are 23 of the top 25 Twitch streamers male?

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 February 2022 - 02:57 PM, said:

I'm desperately trying to deny my obvious misogyny and pedophilia!

lol

#30 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 03:44 PM

The whereabouts of the popularity of twitch streamers is not part of this topic. If you want to discuss the matter, please open a new thread in the OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS section. Thank you.

#31 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 05:16 PM

View PostNightbird, on 18 February 2022 - 12:34 PM, said:

Competitive players mod sound to make footsteps super loud. With a good positional sound headset, it gives free seismic sensor basically as you can hear mechs behind you from 400 meters away or when someone is going to come around a corner in front. I learned this 5 years ago when I was playing with NS, and it was a tip given from better comp teams so it is what it is. Don't expect any bans.

I hadn't considered that, that's a bit cheeky!

#32 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 10:42 PM

Removed yet another set of off-topic posts. Please stay on-topic.
Hint: The topic is not the means to get popular on streaming services.

#33 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 12:32 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 February 2022 - 05:16 PM, said:

I hadn't considered that, that's a bit cheeky!

I'm pretty sure thats something that'd get people banned, if not from the game, from competitive tournaments if they are caught doing it.

No comment on how hard or easy it is to catch, but I'd expect it to be not worth the risks.

#34 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:09 AM

Try not to disappear again, alright? We're in a situation where MWO needs more players, but that can only happen if the population avoids looking overly static. Your streaming, even if it happens to not get many views up front, could possibly still result in drawing more players to the battlefields here! :D

EDIT #1 :: By the way, I'm tossing a 'Like' on your post because MWO very seriously needs more avenues of attraction! B)

EDIT #2 :: And a second 'Like' on another of your posts just got placed in order to reinforce my thoughts. ^_^

~D. V. "If you stream MWO in order to attempt building it up, then players might be more likely to come." Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 21 February 2022 - 03:15 AM.

#35 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 21 February 2022 - 07:30 AM

These sound mods were created, and used by Phil, TTB, Kat, for years, and when P.G.I almost gave a damn.

Mods have been allowed at least unofficially, in M.W.O for years.

They don't effect the game performance, and it's a preference, it's the sound pack taken from MW3 if memory serves me correctly.

Some of them are are a lot better, some of them are a lot worse, than the stock sounds.

I would never chose a streamer to watch, based on them.

I rarely watch any these days.

I never watched Phil's while he was with P.G.I as he was a company man, and would always take the P.G.I line, when he lost his job I watched, and listened mre, as the team sessions were fun, I stopped watching again when he had the cheap pot noodle advert, plastered over my viewing pleasure.

TTB's I watch very rarely, he has some good insights. He some times crosses a line in his comments on other players, rather than focus on the fact he's facing these people because the match maker is poor, nd the population is so low.

Kat Baran's things I used to watch, as she proved, people can learn and can, Git gud, if they apply themselves, and had an infectious fresh attitude, and enthusiasm for the game, that most founders had lost years ago. I hope one day, her RL allows her time to stream from time to time again.

The rest were either to snarky at other players, or had a style I just can't get on with.

View PostNightbird, on 18 February 2022 - 12:34 PM, said:

Competitive players mod sound to make footsteps super loud. With a good positional sound headset, it gives free seismic sensor basically as you can hear mechs behind you from 400 meters away or when someone is going to come around a corner in front. I learned this 5 years ago when I was playing with NS, and it was a tip given from better comp teams so it is what it is. Don't expect any bans.

So what your saying is all comp players cheat..

Got it ...

#36 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 10:28 AM

If someone is gaining a new feature from the sound mod, such as hearing footsteps that otherwise couldn't be heard, then it is cheating. However, if the sound mod is re-balancing volumes to make sounds that were always there more possible to hear without cranking volume so loud that other sound's volume becomes an issue, its not necessarily cheating. And there may be a fine line between the two depending on how stuff like sound falloff is handled. I'm not familiar enough with any of the specific mods enough to know which it is.

#37 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,793 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 06:49 PM

i feel its in the same category as macros. its kind of a thing people do, but its not so bad that its considered a cheat. i could do the same thing by tweaking some sliders on my equalizer. simply turn up the frequency band that best matches the footstep sound effects and turn down the rest. with a big enough subwoffer and sufficient disrespect of the neighbors and your hearing, you could accomplish the same thing.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 February 2022 - 06:50 PM.

#38 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 08:06 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 21 February 2022 - 06:49 PM, said:

i feel its in the same category as macros. its kind of a thing people do, but its not so bad that its considered a cheat. i could do the same thing by tweaking some sliders on my equalizer. simply turn up the frequency band that best matches the footstep sound effects and turn down the rest. with a big enough subwoffer and sufficient disrespect of the neighbors and your hearing, you could accomplish the same thing.

My sound card has a 'scout' mode that apparently does something similar.

#39 DarkBazerker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 259 posts
  • LocationWaffle House

Posted 25 February 2022 - 02:42 PM

Do whatever you feel is right, however when you stream YOU are the product, not the game. It's YOUR job to stand apart from the crowd and be different (good or bad).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users